The VO Crazy Bars

snafuspyramid

The VO Crazy Bars

Postby snafuspyramid » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:22 pm

Anybody tried these?

I am currently running butterfly bars, which are good, but these look better.

http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/ ... y-bar.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(RonK should probably avert his eyes as these weigh in at a mere half a kilogram (which is positively svelte compared to the CroMo version at 860g).

RonK

The VO Crazy Bars

Postby RonK » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:35 pm

A bit heavier than the 332gm Salsa Woodchippers I plan to use.

Jones Loop H bar a better shape I think.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

thecaptn

Re: The VO Crazy Bars

Postby thecaptn » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:14 pm

snafuspyramid wrote:Anybody tried these?

I am currently running butterfly bars, which are good, but these look better.

http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/ ... y-bar.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(RonK should probably avert his eyes as these weigh in at a mere half a kilogram (which is positively svelte compared to the CroMo version at 860g).
I was trying to track down one of these for my Cannondale tourer but found they were either hard to come by or very expensive to post from overseas. I've stuck with the original bars but am happy with the Woodchippers I put on my ECR.

snafuspyramid

Postby snafuspyramid » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:15 pm

Commuter Cycles in Melbourne stocks them.

I have considered going the drop bar route but that would require shelling out for brifters or bar ends. I really like having the SLX shifters.

I would also consider the Jones as a second option, though not sure where to source it at a reasonable cost.

snafuspyramid

Postby snafuspyramid » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:15 pm

On the subject of weight the alloy Crazy Bars are marginally lighter than the Jones bars, although the latter are rated for MTBs.

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:52 pm

snafuspyramid wrote:
I have considered going the drop bar route but that would require shelling out for brifters or bar ends. I really like having the SLX shifters.
This was the main reason I looked at them because my Cannondale has SLX gear on it otherwise I would have put standard drop bars on. That being said I really like the look of the Crazy bars and imagine they could be very comfortable.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:18 pm

I think I will stick with going with a Jones H-Bar .... seems to offer so much all.

Andrew

snafuspyramid

Postby snafuspyramid » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:56 pm

I have looked at the Jones Loop Bar but baulked at the cost. Retail in Australia they cost more than double the VO bars. I'm not super keen on the "cut" H-bar / Titec version. Plus I am running a 25.4mm stem so would need to buy a new one for the Jones.

The forward position on the Crazy Bar looks better to me. The Jones looks too narrow to be stable or good for climbing. The main rear position is almost identical.

Of course, armchair analysis doesn't go far with this sort of thing. I will go and play with both the VO and the Jones at the store.

If I decide on the VO bars I might report back in six months or so.

snafuspyramid

Postby snafuspyramid » Sun May 10, 2015 7:52 pm

I went ahead and bought them last week and have spent 100km with them already. They are a revelation, especially the swept back position. They won't win any beauty contests though.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat May 23, 2015 5:35 pm

They look like a good alternative to the Jones bar.

Let us all know how you get on with them
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.