Stability - Handlebar vs rack mounted front bags

Espresso_

Postby Espresso_ » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:56 pm

Hi all

I'm trying to decide between getting a handlebar mounted front bag (klickfix etc) or buying a front mini rack and rando-style bag. EDIT: or a backpacking style soft bag.

There may be a number of differences between the options but I'm interested in views on the relative stability of these options (ie the bag and contents moving around over bumps etc).

Any guidance?

E
Last edited by Espresso_ on Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Uncle Just

Re: Stability - Handlebar vs rack mounted front bags

Postby Uncle Just » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:19 pm

Can't speak for the Rando setup with mini rack but I've used a Deuter handlebar bag with Klick-fix at times on some very rough gravel roads and on fast rutted descents. While I had my doubts about taking it on tour, it remained attached and stable despite the severe jolting. On one or two days I had a fair bit in it, maybe >3kgs, but it has performed well overall. I've used it on my MTB with front suspension and on an LHT. I like that the things you may need regularly such as food, maps, camera, suncream etc are readily to hand.

I'd recommend a barbag but you may be able to carry more with a rack/bag setup if that's your need.

BenGr

Postby BenGr » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:21 am

The only stability problem i've had with a bar bag (Arkel Large) was while stationary. Once moving its just slightly heavier steering you notice, and even then only if you ride without it sometimes.

Espresso_

Postby Espresso_ » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:29 pm

BenGr wrote:The only stability problem i've had with a bar bag (Arkel Large) was while stationary.
Do you mean that it pulls the steering to one side when stopped etc?

E

Blakeylonger

Postby Blakeylonger » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:00 pm

ortlieb/klikfix/arkel etc styles put the weight further up and away from the steering axis. they'll induce more flop etc as a result and by necessity they have to be smaller so you can carry less. if there's not much in them, they're workable. lower trail means fewer issues for any bar bag.

soft bikepacking style bags offer limited benefits for rigid drop bar type bikes. but a top of TT bento and bar/stem feedbag is totally worth it for snacks, cameras, beers...

I can easily put 6-10kg in my barbag with no issues, but it's on a one piece cr-mo rack.

BenGr

Postby BenGr » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:15 pm

Espresso_ wrote:
BenGr wrote:The only stability problem i've had with a bar bag (Arkel Large) was while stationary.

E
Pretty much. Its only an annoyance really. Dropped my bike a few times as the front wheel could turn very easily if it wasn't balanced/leaning against something properly. You'll likely have this problem with any setup with the weight fairly high.

Espresso_

Postby Espresso_ » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:40 pm

Blakeylonger wrote: soft bikepacking style bags offer limited benefits for rigid drop bar type bikes.
Why? Too small or some other practical issue? I get that they interfere with the brifters.

E

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:01 pm

Down low is better than out front in the breeze. Ideally your bike needs lower trail to make the most of it. When you weight the front you slow the steering responce. A bike with lower trail will compensate for this because they steerer quicker in laden. More weight on the front makes the handling better with low trail. Excess wheel flop comes from to shallow a head angle. Unfortunately most modern touring bikes have to 70 degree or so headtubes which makes the front wheel more likely to flop. This is exams instead by putting weight like a bag on the handlebars. The key for good handling with a front bag is a rack mounted low over the front wheel, a 73 degree or so head angle and a fork with enough rake that will give you a trail of around 30-35mm. This will also depend on how fat your tyres are also. Well this is my limited understanding.

Do search on handling and bags on this blog - https://janheine.wordpress.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

b3n

Postby b3n » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:35 pm

If you have sufficient steerer below the stem, you could try something like this:

I used a 30 degree stem, inverted, with a few inches of sawn-off handlebar to mount my ortlieb bag down low. It works really well, lowering the bag improves handling and visibility (good if you're riding rough tracks etc):

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:36 pm

BenGr wrote:
Espresso_ wrote:

E
Pretty much. Its only an annoyance really. Dropped my bike a few times as the front wheel could turn very easily if it wasn't balanced/leaning against something properly. You'll likely have this problem with any setup with the weight fairly high.
Handlebar bags tend to make the steering flop because the bags may anything up to 200mm ahead of the steering axis. A bag on a randonneur rack would be a little closer.

In any case it's easily fixed with a steering stabiliser such as this Velo-Orange version.

Or this Hebie Steering Damper
Last edited by RonK on Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:39 pm

b3n wrote:If you have sufficient steerer below the stem, you could try something like this:

I used a 30 degree stem, inverted, with a few inches of sawn-off handlebar to mount my ortlieb bag down low. It works really well, lowering the bag improves handling and visibility (good if you're riding rough tracks etc):
A tidier option is a Thorn Accessory Bar.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:39 pm

There is a knack to parking your bike with a front wheel load. It is not insurmountable.

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Espresso_

Postby Espresso_ » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:31 pm

I wonder if anyone can speak to the stability of a setup like this?

https://www.revelatedesigns.com/blog/in ... -drop-bars

It's close to the bars (and attached to the headtube?). Less accessible on the go alone, but the Pocket attachment could provide that access and I already have the Tangle frame bag which provides quick access too.

Bonus is that it can move to my flat bar bike without needing a rack or klickfix attachment.

E

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:58 pm

Espresso_ wrote:I wonder if anyone can speak to the stability of a setup like this?

https://www.revelatedesigns.com/blog/in ... -drop-bars

It's close to the bars (and attached to the headtube?). Less accessible on the go alone, but the Pocket attachment could provide that access and I already have the Tangle frame bag which provides quick access too.

Bonus is that it can move to my flat bar bike without needing a rack or klickfix attachment.
Well, that's not a handlebar bag, that's a drybag. You'll need a Pocket to go with it and probably a Gastank and Jerrycan as well.

That's the way I'll be going for my Fargo build, although I'm undecided yet whether to go for a sweetroll or a harness and drybag.

b3n

Postby b3n » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:45 pm

[quote=RonK]
A tidier option is a Thorn Accessory Bar.

Image[/quote]

I didn't have one of those. What I did have was a hacksaw [emoji1]

Espresso_

Postby Espresso_ » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:11 pm

All discussions have shown what I expect - I'm not sure a front-mounted bag is right for my needs, given my starting point. I think I would have been better off planning for a rando style bag when I built up my bike, but alas.

Now to look into seat bags, like a Cococino, Viscacha etc ...

PS why are these not called "seatpost" or "saddle" bags?

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:19 pm

Espresso_ wrote:PS why are these not called "seatpost" or "saddle" bags?
They were named by Americans.