A Salsa Fargo for me...

Espresso_

Re: A Salsa Fargo for me...

Postby Espresso_ » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:14 am

RonK wrote:
Apparently Salsa have a chromoly Alternator rack on the way too.
I'm waiting for the return of the Minimalist rack, or similar. Those Nitto/VO guys have the market cornered on small front racks of decent quality (and, annoyingly, they're all silver) and the Minimalist provided a decent rugged (and black) alternative.

E

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:05 am

Silver is better because black will be all scratched up and looking crap after one trip.

Espresso_

Postby Espresso_ » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:37 am

singlespeedscott wrote:Silver is better because black will be all scratched up and looking crap after one trip.
I've seen plenty of black Tubus racks looking just fine after years of use.

E

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:29 pm

I've ridden MTB's for many years and no matter what in the end the black stuff starts looking very tired. Give me silver evertime

RonK

A Salsa Fargo for me...

Postby RonK » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:58 pm

As it happens I am in accord with Scott, which is why my touring bikes have stainless steel racks.
But this Fargo build will not be besmirched by any racks. Enough said.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:40 pm

RonK wrote:The fork leg cages will be fitted with Anything bags and will be my complete kitchen and larder. I'm hoping that a Jetboil or MSR Windburner will fit in one bag, if not I'll find a tall pot and use my Kovea Spider. The other will carry food. The third Anything cage under the downtube will carry a Tarptent Protrail.
A few posts back I was mulling over ways to consolidate my cookware so it could be carried on an Anything cage. Finding the right size pot was not looking promising, so an MSR Windburner or Jetboil was under consideration - but really, adding another stove to my collection is the last thing I need. In fact I'm soon going to have a stove sell-off.

But today I found the perfect pot - the Vargo Bot. I don't know how I missed it as I'm sure looked here before: Vargo Bot Review.

The Bot has the perfect form factor - it will fit in an Anything bag to carry on an Anything cage. A 450ml ti mug will fit inside, along with a 110g gas canister, Kovea Spider stove, windscreen, ti spork, dishcloth and a selection of condiments. :D :D :D

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:00 am

Is it wise to house a gas cylinder in a container that can't drain? I suppose the risk is small...
2015 Specialized Diverge Carbon Expert
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:19 am

PiratePete wrote:Is it wise to house a gas cylinder in a container that can't drain? I suppose the risk is small...
Safe as houses!

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:31 am

;)

PiratePete

A Salsa Fargo for me...

Postby PiratePete » Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:55 pm

OK, just from my boating days it's been intrenched in my brain not to contain LPG.
2015 Specialized Diverge Carbon Expert
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

RonK

A Salsa Fargo for me...

Postby RonK » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:49 pm

PiratePete wrote:OK, just from my boating days it's been intrenched in my brain not to contain LPG.
That is understandable - gas and fuel fires in boats are terrible and all too common.
But carrying a gas canister in a pot is common, and in fact the MSR Windburner and Jetboil are designed to pack that way.

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:11 pm

fargo's cargo is vargo?

UmaT

Postby UmaT » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:10 pm

RonK wrote:
Espresso_ wrote:Where do you buy your Bedrock gear from?
No choice really but to order direct and forward via Shipito.
How much do you normally pay with shipito? I used BRANDXYZ several times to buy other stuff (like an interactive kitchen for my daughter) which was a pretty bulky item and I was pretty happy with the shipping price. I remember when I compared shipito with BRANDXYZ, the latter was around $20 cheaper. But you need to select BRANDXYZ own mail as a method of shipping. Thinking about buying some gear in the States now and possibly even a new bike

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:28 pm

I'm using Australia Post Shopmate for my Bedrock order, since they will deliver to my parcel locker.
I've used Shipito and Shopmate in the past. Both were quite expensive, so a used last resort when no other shipping method was available.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:14 pm

UmaT wrote:How much do you normally pay with shipito? I used BRANDXYZ several times to buy other stuff (like an interactive kitchen for my daughter) which was a pretty bulky item and I was pretty happy with the shipping price. I remember when I compared shipito with BRANDXYZ, the latter was around $20 cheaper. But you need to select BRANDXYZ own mail as a method of shipping. Thinking about buying some gear in the States now and possibly even a new bike
BRANDXYZ shipping:
Maximum Dimensions No more than 105 cm in length, with a maximimum coverage of 140cm
I think a bike may be a bit too big...

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:13 pm

baabaa wrote:fargo's cargo is vargo?
very good :lol: :lol: :lol:

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:13 pm

RonK wrote:The Bot has the perfect form factor - it will fit in an Anything bag to carry on an Anything cage. A 450ml ti mug will fit inside, along with a 110g gas canister, Kovea Spider stove, windscreen, ti spork, dishcloth and a selection of condiments. :D :D :D
I looked at these awhile ago. There are a couple of other options. The ones I am aware of are the Alpkit MytiMug 650 or MytiMug 450

and Evernew and Vargo's titanium mugs

I prefer the models with handles over the Bot.

Andrew

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:02 pm

RonK wrote: A 450ml ti mug will fit inside, along with a 110g gas canister, Kovea Spider stove, windscreen, ti spork, dishcloth and a selection of condiments. :D :D :D
A ti mug sounds good.
I've just spotted my one tour old enamelled mug has rust bubbles so I'm feeling a little un-enamoured with what I imagine to be Chinese camp ware.
The 450ml sizing, for me, is less impressive though as I like a decent sized mug of hydration to slake my thirst, be it tea, coffee or water.
I've somewhere a plastic mug bought in a fit of temper when a previous enamelled mugs enamel rusted through and the mug started weeping from the bottom.
The plastic was a bit of a bas.. illegitimate with regards staining and it wasn't more than a couple of day's into a tour when it fell from favour due to looking gross.
I did see some stainless mugs but the handle welds looked a little precarious and just awaiting a really hot brew to give up the ghost and send one for an eyeball of the local A&E ward
I'll have to have a review of the options in around 5 to 600ml. :idea:
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:09 pm

Very exciting delivery today from Bedrock. From Bedrock Bags that is, not from Fred and Barney.

I ordered them on back on 1 August. Andrew Wracher of Bedrock has been busy and has a longish production queue, but I was happy enough with the wait.

Quality, finish, workmanship is impressive, so it was well worth it. So now it's time to think about a practice pack to find out what fits and what doesn't.

Top: Custom Frame Bag - Dual Zipper Main Pocket With Divider And Non-Drive Side Map Pocket - super deluxe
Centre/Under: Entrada handlebar Bag with Pocket.
Bottom:Coconino Seat Bag with Railwing

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:21 pm

Nice looking bags, is that a whistle on the bar bag?

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:48 pm

thecaptn wrote:Nice looking bags, is that a whistle on the bar bag?
Hehe - yes, that is a bonus free gift. No steak knives though. :lol:

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:16 pm

Nice :wink:

avolve

Postby avolve » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:13 pm

RonK wrote:Very exciting delivery today from Bedrock. From Bedrock Bags that is, not from Fred and Barney...<snip>
Can I ask why Bedrock over Revelate?

RonK

A Salsa Fargo for me...

Postby RonK » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:23 pm

avolve wrote:
RonK wrote:Very exciting delivery today from Bedrock. From Bedrock Bags that is, not from Fred and Barney...<snip>
Can I ask why Bedrock over Revelate?
You can.
The Coconino seat bag features the Railwing stabilizer so it does not wag, but remains quickly and easily attached and removed.
The Entrada handlebar bag uniquely uses system of lateral compression straps that make the closure more tidy and compact for use with drop bars.
And unlike Relevate, the Bedrock frame bag is made to a custom template which ensures a precise fit to my Fargo.
Once I had decided on the Coconino and Entrada bags I was always going to opt for the set.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:14 pm

Hi Ron, I am really impressed with this build and the care you are going about the process. Your remark on not gracing the bike with any rack had me for a minuit, and the tailored bags of course overcome that detail. :D

Great post and all the best. You will have dream machine no doubt.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers