A Salsa Fargo for me...

RonK

Re: A Salsa Fargo for me...

Postby RonK » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:29 pm

I can understand why you would want to be to move around when mountain biking, but don't see that much call for it on tours when you just want to sit comfortably for hour after hour.

The Specialized Phenom looks to be quite flat and is reputed to be very comfortable - but would it be still be comfortable after sitting on it all day?

The Ergon saddles look good but I'm wary of Ergon's bona fides after suffering nerve damage using their grips. What model do you have/

I really don't see any need for a QR seatpost clamp. Again I can understand why you want to do this while mountain biking, but I can't imagine any reason I'd want to adjust the saddle height while touring.

And I have no confidence that they won't slip, particularly when a loaded seatbag is attached. I've seen a few with broken skewers too. If I was convinced it would be worthwhile I'd get a dropper post instead.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:35 pm

A very bony arse is why I like to move around and not sit on just the pin bones for hours on-end. I also like to ride long uphills at the very rear of a saddle.
Have qr seat clamps on most of my bikes (even the road bike as with wheels off helps give space on a large frame to remove the saddle and seatpost when thrown in the back of the car) as gives that bit extra control when going down steep firetrails, and rocky washed away single and double tracks as seen in and around the blue mountains in NSW. Never had one slip (again salsa ones) but being used on steel bikes with well greased, somewhat long and chunky seat posts so this may help.
The ergons, have a SM3-L on the el mari and a SMC3-M with the cx/ tourer, both breeds seem to feel good on that type of bike. Still use the old school Rolls for long tours on tar with proper bike shorts as are flat and suit the behind so why change what works.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:21 pm

baabaa wrote:Have qr seat clamps on most of my bikes (even the road bike as with wheels off helps give space on a large frame to remove the saddle and seatpost when thrown in the back of the car) as gives that bit extra control when going down steep firetrails, and rocky washed away single and double tracks as seen in and around the blue mountains in NSW. Never had one slip (again salsa ones) but being used on steel bikes with well greased, somewhat long and chunky seat posts so this may help.
The ergons, have a SM3-L on the el mari and a SMC3-M with the cx/ tourer, both breeds seem to feel good on that type of bike. Still use the old school Rolls for long tours on tar with proper bike shorts as are flat and suit the behind so why change what works.
I do note that the Salsa Fliplock has a long lever and presumably can be tightened enough not to slip. This would be handy when packing the bike into a Tardis. I just don't see myself going down steep firetrails, and rocky washed away single and double tracks when I'm bikepacking. Would be useful on the Old Ghost Road perhaps, but I don't see myself doing that ride.

Yeah, the Ergon saddles look good on paper, but I have lost faith in over-hyped German products after several less than positive experiences. I have already used Ergon grip and gloves that didn't live up to the hype. I'm leaning toward the Specialized Phenom at the moment.

I used to ride a Rolls more than twenty years ago, but time must have dimmed my memory of the experience. I bought a new one a couple of years ago but put it away after a few rides. I should sell it.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:54 pm

I've been quietly wondering, is the Brooks leather range the elephant in the room?

Also curious what adjustment to make with seat post if hitting rough stuff?

On topic, I checked hibike for 2017 Fargo frames, nothing in stock. Can't set up an email alert it seems.

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:31 pm

I have several B17's. They take a lot of breaking in. The C17 was immediately more comfortable than the B17's ever were.

AndI prefer the look of the Cambium on this type of bike - or an MTB saddle.

It's interesting to note that Brooks have introduced a Cambium C19 into the range , which is says is:

"For those in the market for a wider saddle for touring or city riding, the C19 offers all the advantages of the Cambium line in a width suitable for a more upright seated position."

Let's hope the durability has improved as well.

uad782

Postby uad782 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:35 pm

Hi Ron,

A few comments/queries if I may:

[*]My Brooks C19 is the most comfortable saddle I have ever owned. I hope it lasts.

[*]Massdrop have the Vargo bot offered. It seems to get mixed reviews with the main issue being it having no handles. Some people have used their leatherman with mixed success.

[*]I am noticing a small amount of play in the SP PD8X hub. It depends on where the wheel is rotated. So far the play is so small it does not cause any issues. However, compared to my Shimano hubs it is annoying. The hub has done only 700km since Christmas.

Appreciate any comments.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:31 pm

Well - I've not been able to find anything from Brooks acknowledging the issues and indicating they have done anything to improve them, so I wouldn't be too confident.

The smaller Vargo Bot 700 does come with handles. It has been on Massdrop before it's not the current drop. In my experience a 700ml pot is not big enough.

I have several pots with handles but don't like them much. Vargo do offer a Ti pot lifter if you want one, and there are plenty of cheap ones on eBay. I also have a specific requirement that it fits in an Anything bag.

Your Shimano hubs have no play? You have done better than me then, mine is out of round. I don't buy Shimano hubs any more.

I don't know if my PD8-X has any play or not, and I don't want to know, so I'm not going to check.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:55 pm

RonK wrote:I don't know if my PD8-X has any play or not, and I don't want to know, so I'm not going to check.
Plausible deniability. You don't need that in the Trump era, go forth and prosper!

uad782

Postby uad782 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:47 pm

Well said El Davo!

I will keep you posted on the saddle. I will enjoy it while it lasts.

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:36 am

RonK wrote:
Mugglechops wrote:I hope your C17 lasts longer than mine did.
Not much. Apart from the fading and the fraying of the canvas cover, the top is pulling away from the rivets in a similar way to yours.

It's not quite two years old and still under warranty. I could claim a replacement from Brooks but is there any point?

I'm thinking I'll just replace it with a WTB Rocket Team or Pro.

Has anyone else had a Rocket under them. :)
The two year warranty is just about up, so I emailed a warranty claim to the selling dealer as directed on the Brooks web site, complete with photographs and the purchase invoice.

After two weeks with no response I submitted a claim to Brooks. They responded promply, asking for photos and the 3-digit lot number from the underside of the saddle. I forwarded the original claim to Brooks, and they have responded that the dealer would be sending a replacement.

I'm guessing that their interest in the lot number implies that some saddles had issues which have since been rectified. One can only hope that the replacement will prove more durable than the first.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:24 pm

P.s. I found out from FB group owners the 2017 frame at the Alternator cutout for belt drive has two slices from each side (seat stay and alternator bottom side) that sandwich together by the top Alternstor bolt being fastened, so it's not a plain cut that is relying on the alternator alone to complete the drive stays triangle. Definitely a feature that sways me to frames like this.

Hibike have them in stock in my size, but I'm not pursuing it, partly the colour, mostly as I've found it's really only my sand fat bikes that really want a belt, and even then I haven't bothered used to the maintenance with KMC EPT 670hrs salt spray rated chain. Also already have 29 plus Stache that can take a belt with elevated chainstay, but chosen to ride standard 1x11 and maintain rather than take away ride time (and chunk of $$$) with an idealistic project.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:14 pm

RonK wrote:
RonK wrote:
Not much. Apart from the fading and the fraying of the canvas cover, the top is pulling away from the rivets in a similar way to yours.

It's not quite two years old and still under warranty. I could claim a replacement from Brooks but is there any point?

The two year warranty is just about up, so I emailed a warranty claim to the selling dealer as directed on the Brooks web site, complete with photographs and the purchase invoice.

After two weeks with no response I submitted a claim to Brooks. They responded promply, asking for photos and the 3-digit lot number from the underside of the saddle. I forwarded the original claim to Brooks, and they have responded that the dealer would be sending a replacement.

I'm guessing that their interest in the lot number implies that some saddles had issues which have since been rectified. One can only hope that the replacement will prove more durable than the first.
I did all that too then took it to the shop who sent it back to the Aus importer. Now they are say it was crash damage and I have to pay a crash replacement cost.

I have never crashed on it......

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:19 pm

Go over them and contact Brooks directly as Ron has, with your details as described here, along with your displeasure.

Is Cassons still the importer?

Warin

Postby Warin » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:29 pm

eldavo wrote:Go over them and contact Brooks directly as Ron has, with your details as described here, along with your displeasure.

Is Cassons still the importer?
Monza Imports are the Aus. importer according to the Brooks website.

You may also like to contact consumer affairs.

uad782

Postby uad782 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:27 pm

Hi Ron

Any chance of some photos/ details about how you have mounted your sinewave module. I was thinking of mounting mine upside down on the stem so that water runs out. Also do you use any special waterproof USB cable when charging?

Thanks

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:22 pm

Hmmm, I haven't got it set up yet as I've been waiting for a handlebar extension I bought on eBay to arrive. Actually, this is the second - the first wasn't wide enough.

I need the bar extension to leave the bars free for the handlebar bag fixing straps and to reach over the top of it.

So - on the extension will be mounted my bike computer, video cam, dynamo light and a Klite bar switch to change between light and charger.

On my other bike I had the Sinewave mounted under the handlebar bag bracket. It's sealed so there no concern about water getting in to it. The bike computer unfortunately is not watertight when the charging port is open - last tour the screen fogged up badly , so I don't connect it if there is rain about.

Also, the bike computer or phone will not charge unless the bike speed is more than about 15kph. Whilst it's easy enough to maintain that speed on sealed roads, on hills and back roads it's often difficult. So now I charge an auxiliary battery instead - a Xiaomi 20000mAh Mi Power Bank allows pass-through charging so it can be connected to the charger and a device at the same time for continuous charging regardsless of the bike speed.

I'm going to carry the battery in the top tube bag along with the phone. Since the Sinewave will now be connected to the switch instead of the dynamo, I haven't decided yet whether to cut the wire and mount the it under the handlebar extension as before, or leave the wire long and put it in the top tube bag.

I will post a photo once it is set up.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:57 pm

RonK wrote:Hmmm, I haven't got it set up yet as I've been waiting for a handlebar extension I bought on eBay to arrive. Actually, this is the second - the first wasn't wide enough.

I need the bar extension to leave the bars free for the handlebar bag fixing straps and to reach over the top of it.

So - on the extension will be mounted my bike computer, video cam, dynamo light and a Klite bar switch to change between light and charger.

On my other bike I had the Sinewave mounted under the handlebar bag bracket. It's sealed so there no concern about water getting in to it. The bike computer unfortunately is not watertight when the charging port is open - last tour the screen fogged up badly , so I don't connect it if there is rain about.

Also, the bike computer or phone will not charge unless the bike speed is more than about 15kph. Whilst it's easy enough to maintain that speed on sealed roads, on hills and back roads it's often difficult. So now I charge an auxiliary battery instead - a Xiaomi 20000mAh Mi Power Bank allows pass-through charging so it can be connected to the charger and a device at the same time for continuous charging regardsless of the bike speed.

I'm going to carry the battery in the top tube bag along with the phone. Since the Sinewave will now be connected to the switch instead of the dynamo, I haven't decided yet whether to cut the wire and mount the it under the handlebar extension as before, or leave the wire long and put it in the top tube bag.

I will post a photo once it is set up.
Hi RonK
Wheres the link to your handlebar extension?

I've previously noticed mention of Sinewaves supposed need for 15kmph.

Might this be full charge or have you noticed no charge at all below this speed?

I'm getting charge at around 8kmph out of my E-werk.

Much lower than this and I get messages on my Garmin that the power source is disconnected, which suggests I need a new cache battery.

I saw pics in a previous thread on the Sinewave and was impressed with it being so well sealed.

I was initially disconcerted after spotting some rust on the replaceable usb cable connections of the E-werk.

I promptly ordered some replacements from SJS cycles after a tip from Il Padrone which arrived after a couple of weeks.

This was well over a year ago now and I've recently remembered, having spotting them in my parts box, that I've yet to replace the somewhat corroded, but still working, ones on the bike.

I suspect it has less to do with a propensity to rust from moisture ingress and more to do with living coastal.

Cache battery failure aside, I pretty pleased with my E-werk overall and more so once I found the replaceable cables/connectors.

I can see myself changing my system too, exchanging the original Bush & Muller cache battery with the smaller, than your unit, 10,000mAh Xiaomi version, although 2 of them, one for my trailers charging system.

The Mi batteries appear a much more cost effective unit than my initial inclination to getting an original B&M unit now offered with a optional charger.

https://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8; ... ,1410,1415

https://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8; ... ,1410,1415

"It is possible to charge the cache battery by an external charger, part.-No. 447/3 (loading is only possible by adjusting 0,9A). Please note that 1,8 A will damage the cache battery. You need an additional adaptercable (part.-No. 461A/447/3-1)."

http://en.bumm.de/products/e-werk-usb-w ... ttery.html

Anyone considering the Xiaomi battery range might well consider perusing the Mustato site amongst others to save themselves long delivery time from outside Australia, with the benefit also of a local warranty.
Overseas purchases of course, often on Ozbargain site, will be cheaper though good luck sorting any warranty issues.

http://www.mushtato.com.au
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:36 pm

OK, here is the setup. In the picture you see a:
KLite bar switch
Exposure Revo dynamo light and bracket
Trustfire Bar Extender - take your pick, there are dozens on eBay for only a few bucks
Barfly 4 TT mount
Wahoo Elemnt
Xiaomi Mi Powerbank 20000mAh

And I have a Sinewave Revolution charger to go with it, but I dunno where it is at the moment.

The Klite bar switch has a curved bracket to mount on the bar extension with cable ties. I think Kerry prints the mount himself. It is used to switch between the light and the charger, which I'll probably mount between the arms of the bar extender.

Charging with the Sinewave is not as simple as it seems - according to the Sinewave FAQ, the device can provide up to a 1 amp current, which it achieves at 14.4 kph. An iPhone requires a 1 amp current before it starts charging, however the Sinewave do not start charging for a further 10 seconds.

Since my fully loaded touring speed is around 15-17kph, charging an iPhone will only happen intermittently. Some bicycle computers may charge at lower current outputs but the Magellan Cyclo I used last tour did not tolerate the fluctuating charging and crashed repeatedly.

So now I do not connect any device directly to the Sinewave. Instead I connect the Powerbank which provides a pass through circuit so it can be connected to the charger and to a device at the same time.

uad782

Postby uad782 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:46 pm

Ron,

thanks for the photos and info. I too am only going to use mine to charge a battery. I have heard that some pass through batteries need a fair bit of juice (amperage) to charge. I have both an Mi 10 Ah and an Anker (20Ah) which is not pass through. I will test both. I am thinking of mounting it under the stem so water doesn't pond in the USB port.

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:36 am

RonK wrote:
RonK wrote:

Fantastic, I've just heard from Brooks that they have shipped my replacement saddle. :D :D :D

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:14 pm

RonK wrote:OK, here is the setup. In the picture you see a:
KLite bar switch
Trustfire Bar Extender - take your pick, there are dozens on eBay for only a few bucks
Barfly 4 TT mount
Wahoo Elemnt

And I have a Sinewave Revolution charger to go with it, but I dunno where it is at the moment.

The Klite bar switch has a curved bracket to mount on the bar extension with cable ties. I think Kerry prints the mount himself. It is used to switch between the light and the charger, which I'll probably mount between the arms of the bar extender.

Charging with the Sinewave is not as simple as it seems - according to the Sinewave FAQ, the device can provide up to a 1 amp current, which it achieves at 14.4 kph. An iPhone requires a 1 amp current before it starts charging, however the Sinewave do not start charging for a further 10 seconds.

Since my fully loaded touring speed is around 15-17kph, charging an iPhone will only happen intermittently. Some bicycle computers may charge at lower current outputs but the Magellan Cyclo I used last tour did not tolerate the fluctuating charging and crashed repeatedly.

So now I do not connect any device directly to the Sinewave. Instead I connect the Powerbank which provides a pass through circuit so it can be connected to the charger and to a device at the same time.
G'day RonK,

Great pic and a tidy looking system to install :!:

Good to see the RX100 getting a dust off.

Is there a list somewhere, showing which Mi batteries have the pass through circuit?

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:16 pm

uad782 wrote:Ron,

thanks for the photos and info. I too am only going to use mine to charge a battery. I have heard that some pass through batteries need a fair bit of juice (amperage) to charge. I have both an Mi 10 Ah and an Anker (20Ah) which is not pass through. I will test both. I am thinking of mounting it under the stem so water doesn't pond in the USB port.
Looking forward to reading your results

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:18 pm

RonK wrote: Fantastic, I've just heard from Brooks that they have shipped my replacement saddle. :D :D :D
Now theres a great result.

Congratulations :)

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:47 pm

rifraf wrote:
RonK wrote:OK, here is the setup. In the picture you see a:
KLite bar switch
Barfly 4 TT mount
Wahoo Elemnt

G'day RonK,

Great pic and a tidy looking system to install :!:

Good to see the RX100 getting a dust off.

Is there a list somewhere, showing which Mi batteries have the pass through circuit?
Hmmm, I just realised I've listed the wrong battery. I have the Xiaomi 16000mAh Power Bank.

And of course the final part of the complete system is the Anker 5-port 40W charger.

I don't think there is a list - as far as I know all Xiaomi Powerbanks have a pass-through circuit. But there are a lot of fakes out there which don't so make sure you buy a genuine one. Verify the security code to be sure.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:15 pm

RonK wrote:Hmmm, I just realised I've listed the wrong battery. I have the Xiaomi 16000mAh Power Bank.

And of course the final part of the complete system is the Anker 5-port 40W charger.

I don't think there is a list - as far as I know all Xiaomi Powerbanks have a pass-through circuit. But there are a lot of fakes out there which don't so make sure you buy a genuine one. Verify the security code to be sure.
For those interested in the Xiaomi Powerbanks this thread at Bushwalk Australia might be of interest. There is a link IIRC to a reliable Aussie supplier in the thread as well.
Andrew