A Salsa Fargo for me...

RonK

Re: A Salsa Fargo for me...

Postby RonK » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:22 pm

Yes, I like it, it's good. You can turn it on or off, but I usually just leave it on and don't notice it much. I can tell peds do notice it but they don't seem to get annoyed by it.

Mind you on smooth surfaces it doesn't ring much, so sometimes I need to give it a bump.

I have the QR version like this, but there is now also a fixed version.

Timber Bell

Funny you should mention bells - I just spotted this morning that Lezyne has released some very stylish new bells.

Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

avolve

Postby avolve » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:43 pm

I want to get a Timber bell for my Jone Plus.

Those Lezyne look nice, though I do have a few of the Gnog bells in a box somewhere... (will be useful fine avoidance)

uad782

Postby uad782 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:57 am

Hi Ron,

Hibike have the titanium model. Interested?

https://www.hibike.com/salsa-fargo-tita ... 63331f7031

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:23 pm

I would love one Scott, but the price is outrageous. I was originally considering a titanium Fargo before I started this build, but decided against it when I discovered that the Fargo steel frame with Firestarter carbon fork was only around 700g heavier.

After all, I had bought two titanium frames previously and both cost less than $1500, so I could not see how the price of the ti Fargo was justified. I was just lucky that I bought both my ti frames when the Australian dollar was at parity with the US dollar, but even so titanium frames are much more expensive now - who knows why?

BTW, I am going to be selling my remaining ti bike after Xmas. The Fargo is my main machine and I'm committed to bike packing as my mode of travel - I will won't be going full-dress touring again, so there is no reason to keep it. In fact I'm going to have a virtual garage sale and sell off a lot of hiking, camping and cycling gear I don't use any more.

I'm also considering extending my backroads touring range with one of these, or something similar.

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:36 pm

RonK wrote:
I'm also considering extending my backroads touring range with one of these, or something similar.

Nice and can see your handle bar bags working well enough but can you please give a few hints of where the frame or even saddle bags fit on this thing?
Oh and the fargo TI, yes many, many $$ and would rather go two different fine bikes than just the one very fine/ fancy all rounder. Would break your heart if you had one nicked.

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:06 pm

baabaa wrote:Nice and can see your handle bar bags working well enough but can you please give a few hints of where the frame or even saddle bags fit on this thing?
Handlebar bags? Frame bags? Saddle bags? Who needs 'em when you have 120 litres of carrying capacity in panniers and topbox, and more in the tank bag.

uad782

Postby uad782 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:47 pm

Yes the Fargo does seem expensive. Your new Tiger may not be much more expensive!

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:30 pm

The moto is not yet a certainty. And there are others which could come into consideration - Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sport. BMW F 850 GS Adventure, BMW S1000XR, Yamaha Tracer 900.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:28 pm

RonK wrote:
A tight fit into the Tardis :D
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:35 am

Hope you've got long legs Ron if you're considering an adventure bike, they are so bloody tall.
I have a 2007 650 V-Strom that I've had for 7 years now all set up for touring ( blackwolf soft bag luggage on steel racks, top box & Givi tank bag) and even with this bike I can't sit flat footed on it. Heavy bugger when full of fuel too.
I thought about getting it lowered an inch but with the underside bash plate and centre stand clearances, it doesn't give me much room to play with.
Be careful with some of these bikes with the big metal cases on them, mostly aluminium can damage easily in a topple and are much more acceptable to wind turbulence on the open road.

cheers

brumby33
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:58 am

Yes, the height and weight is a concern for me too. For many years I've had my heart set on an R1200GS Adventure, but I've spent some time riding a friend's GSA and it has given me cause to rethink. Not only is it tall, but it is very heavy when the 30 litre fuel tank is full. It would feel like driving a truck with a full load of panniers and pillion on board. And of course the price is stratospheric.

That is why I have been looking at the Tiger 800. It's not overly tall or heavy, but I think Triumph prices are outrageous, and I have doubts about their reliability.

I did go look at the Honda Africa Twin, but I would need a step to mount it. It's crazy tall.

I've also reconsidered whether I really need an off-road capability. Current favourite is the recently-released updated version of the Yamaha Tracer 900GT, which includes the panniers as standard equipment. I've ridden the previous version and it is easy to get a leg over, relatively light and very reasonably priced, so I'll be visiting Yamaha dealers over Xmas to check out the new model

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:47 pm

Ron,

Give the current model DL650XT V-Strom and/ or the DL1000XT V-Strom a try.

I find that the 1000 feels more like a sit-in rather than sit-on of the 650 but both are good Machines, the 650 will do a rider and pillion with no much drama with around 72HP on tap, the 1000 has just under the 100HP. Big Price difference though.

The DL1000 GT is reasonable value with panniers included for about 20K onroad.

But unless you're a real revhead, the 650 does a sterling job and for the price difference you can kit it up much better how you want to...bit like a touring bike really :lol:

Cheers

brumby33

VWR Patagonia 2017

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:23 pm

Yeah, one of my workmates had a VStrom. He tried really hard to sell it to me when he wanted to trade up. I rode it and it was nice enough but kinda bland, and I couldn’t see myself owning one.

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:33 pm

RonK wrote:Yeah, one of my workmates had a VStrom. He tried really hard to sell it to me when he wanted to trade up. I rode it and it was nice enough but kinda bland, and I couldn’t see myself owning one.
hehehehe yeah ya either love em or hate em....some say they are ugly...but I've seen a hell of a lot uglier. The Newer style of V-Strom are an entirely different feel to the older bulkier style.

When you get into the big banger Adventure bikes, there's a lot of weight to throw around trails, even my Strom can be a handful especially when you get into the thick marble stuff....I'll be the first to put my hand up and admit that I'm not a competent dirt rider. Proper 50/50 tyres help rather than the 70/30 or worse the 80/20's.

One other bike I'd consider is something like the F800GS Beamer....not too big, not too small and will handle a pillion on a tour with luggage.

Can't wait to see what you decide on.

VWR Patagonia 2017

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:29 am

I like the Tigers. Having owned an r100gs Paris Dakar, KTM 950 Adventure and an adventure setup DR650, I really like them.

Not that I am in the market for a moto anytime soon.

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:50 am

SWM SuperDual X has carved out a solid reputation and only half the price of a Tiger.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:53 pm

That thing looks pretty good. I like their motard even better. From previous motard owning experience, it wouldn't be a good idea for me to get one :D

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:37 am

I see in the MTBR forums that poster "Gritter" turned to the dark side :lol: , swapping his Surly Ogre (may the deities have mercy on his soul) for a Fargo.

Irrespective of this moment of madness :wink: , I followed somewhat his build though he has, like some others, a habit of frequently removing his photos.

Pertinent to this post, I noticed last night that he had added a Bafang BBSHD : 52V / 24AH : 42t x 17t

https://forums.mtbr.com/salsa/gritters- ... 09981.html

It made me wonder if you'll be sticking with the Focus Bold2 Plus or might there be something to gain from a custom setup of assist for your Fargo RonK :?:

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:19 pm

I have no interest in bolt-on abominations. Why would I when I have fully-integrated e-bike.
Fargo is fine the way it is, as is the Focus. Both put a smile on my face when I ride them. :) :)

Tuning chip for the Focus will arrive in the next few days. So I'll be able to keep up with my ride mates on the flat sections. It's already way faster on the ups and the downs.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:52 pm

RonK wrote:I have no interest in bolt-on abominations. Why would I when I have fully-integrated e-bike.
Fargo is fine the way it is, as is the Focus. Both put a smile on my face when I ride them. :) :)

Tuning chip for the Focus will arrive in the next few days. So I'll be able to keep up with my ride mates on the flat sections. It's already way faster on the ups and the downs.
Well, great this far into ownership your still so obviously enthused.

I'll watch with interest the thread, sharing knee issues and thus an open mind with regards potential future directions with regards power assist in order to keep riding long term.

The threads within the forum are currently my only exposure to the idea of electric assist so doubtless my questions at this stage will reflect my lack of knowledge.

I think it helpful that you've formed a firm viewpoint on the unsuitability of the of the "bolt on" kits for your usage.

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:47 pm

Since I bought my e-mtb, four more e-bikes have joined the group I ride with. People are astonished how well they perform and jump at the chance when offered a test ride.