Is there such a thing as a lightweight chainwhip?

Breton Bikes

Re: Is there such a thing as a lightweight chainwhip?

Postby Breton Bikes » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:43 pm

dalai47 wrote:
RonK wrote:A more sensible alternative might be to carry a fibrefix spoke. :wink:
I bought two fiberfix spokes to pack so I didn't need to carry a cassette tool or spare spokes. Can't say how well they work though, as I thankfully haven't needed to use them yet...
I'm afraid that spoke breakages can happen for very odd reasons - on my Bob Jackson expedition tourer I had a spoke break 5 cms from the nipple (DT Butted tandem weight!) and on inspection I think it has been nicked by a stone flicked up by another rider and this stress riser had caused it to fail. This is the first failure I've had in 10 years, but 10 minutes with a Hypercracker and I was ready to go good as new.

The biggie is when your derailleur or drop-out has bent slightly and you don't notice until the chain is in the spokes. Had this happen on a tandem on a steep hill and it cut all 9 pulling spokes! But using the Hypercracker, 5 spares I carried plus stripping 4 spokes out of the front wheel I rebuilt the rear and the whole thing lasted for our week's tour.

Now our hire bikes use exclusively 26" wheel and I've never had a spoke go on-tour but I do still carry that Hypercracker just in case...

RonK

Is there such a thing as a lightweight chainwhip?

Postby RonK » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:51 pm

Breton Bikes wrote:This is the first failure I've had in 10 years, but 10 minutes with a Hypercracker and I was ready to go good as new.
Great if you have a hypercracker, but it's years since they were last available, so kinda irrelevant to this discussion.

May I ask if your recent membership of the forum is to promote your business.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:10 pm

NBT would be........ the next best thing ???
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Breton Bikes

Postby Breton Bikes » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:09 am

RonK wrote:
Breton Bikes wrote:This is the first failure I've had in 10 years, but 10 minutes with a Hypercracker and I was ready to go good as new.
Great if you have a hypercracker, but it's years since they were last available, so kinda irrelevant to this discussion.

May I ask if your recent membership of the forum is to promote your business.
I use a hypercracker and there are several equivalents on the market - I could have lied about what I used but to what end? Anyone could look up Hypercracker using Google and find equivalents in seconds as I've just done, Stein NBT2 etc. Several posts also asked why you should take such an item - I hope my post gave some examples.

As for your rather pointed question...

I contacted and explained exactly my position with the moderators before I joined this forum and was told that 'disclosure' was important in my posts. (direct quote "Disclosure is important - it could be “I do run a cycle tour business is France…” ")

Now it's hard to give 'disclosure' without saying what I do, it was their decision not mine, I would have preferred to only mention it when it was directly relevant but I wanted to be squeaky clean. I didn't take up their suggestion of a link to my site in my Sig because I felt uncomfortable about that

I've been contributing to the UK CTC forum for 8 years, have offered free advice, organised club runs (200 tandems from the UK last year), sent people routes, accommodation details etc etc all for free because I want as many people to come cycletouring as possible because I have the view that in that way I can 'contribute to the sum of human happiness' and have some weight when I'm hassling local authorities over cycling facilities. Likewise my website is full of free advice of a non-commercial nature e.g. a large section of it is entitled - "a basic guide on how to avoid paying us for a cycling holiday" - I doubt I've sold a single holiday to a CTC member because of it (they don't need us) but I know a hell of a lot have cycletoured here 'off their own bat' having benefited from my help - and besides that, having been in business for 25 years I really have as many customers as I want... I also gain because I learn a lot too. For example I'm currently writing a 'Dummies guide to frame materials' for my site and I've started a thread on this on the CTC forum because I want help with some of the technical aspects of metallurgy. I've had lots of nice replies - it's a two-way-street. The Mods also know that if I post anything that someone objects to then I'll delete the post immediately and with pleasure.

It also brings up the more general point of professionals posting on here. If say a professional frame designer posts on a thread about frame design should he keep the fact that he (she) is someone of vast experience of frame design and just allow people to think they are just another opinionated individual? If they have a page explaining how a frame is built should they not be able to point that out in answer to a question? Genuine question. When I post about something to do with touring, especially in France I''m coming from a business where I run a fleet of quality bikes that have covered over 2 million miles of loaded cycle-camping all over France. I could of course keep this secret and so a post e.g. "26" wheels are stronger than 700c" becomes merely an individual's point of view rather than a definitive answer backed up by unique experience. If I say 'this is the guide you need for campsites in France' anyone reading it should know that my post should carry rather more weight than someone who spent a week cycling in the Loire... Personally I like to know where someone is coming from, if they actually have real knowledge of a subject or whether they are just regurgitating something they've read on the net or something that happened to them as a one-off. Without disclosure this is worthless.

Lastly I am very happy for people to U2U or email me in search of advice - I get emails like this every day - it's difficult to encourage this if I remain anonymous.

As we are getting an increasing number of Australian customers (and they are my favourite customers) I thought I'd extend the same service to the Australian equivalent - if I'm not welcome then please just tell the mods and I'll disappear.

Breton Bikes

Postby Breton Bikes » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:07 am

il padrone wrote:NBT would be........ the next best thing ???
Yup (now the NBT2 I believe...) - looking at it I think I prefer the Stein but I've no experience with either (as I've kept my Hypercracker).

As an aside I also have one of the small chain-whip tools made by the Hypercracker people to remove the top sprocket of freewheels. Put a nice dent in the chainstay of my new touring bike (20 years ago) so wouldn't recommend one of them;-)

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:29 am

Don't mind him Breton. You're welcome to contribute.

(A real name to address would be nice though. ;) I prefer conversing with a person rather a business.)

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:31 am

thecaptn wrote:If you did need to remove your cassette for some other reason and you don't have a chain whip you can do it using a rag, length of rope/tie down strap and a strong stick, all things easy to find on the side of the road. ....
Top tip Captn. That's the type of response I would have wanted had I asked the original question.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:06 am

Kalgrm wrote:
thecaptn wrote:If you did need to remove your cassette for some other reason and you don't have a chain whip you can do it using a rag, length of rope/tie down strap and a strong stick, all things easy to find on the side of the road. ....
Top tip Captn. That's the type of response I would have wanted had I asked the original question.
Equally useful - three cable-ties looped through the cassette and around three spokes/pairs of spokes.
Mandatory helmet law?

pbekkerh

Postby pbekkerh » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:26 am

il padrone wrote:
Kalgrm wrote:
Equally useful - three cable-ties looped through the cassette and around three spokes/pairs of spokes.
At this time and place I would like to take the opportunity to quote myself :mrgreen:
At home I tried a cloth but didn't succeed, I tried a cablestrips around a spoke but stopped when it started bending. I tried two long cablestrips around the cogs and the tire, but it was too flexible, so I want a cable whip but lightweight.
Ghost SE7000
PlanetX Exocet
Colnago Sprint 1986
Solio 1910
Boreas Aër 2003
Bike Friday Tikit
Trailer Extrawheel I & II

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:32 am

Kalgrm wrote:A real name to address would be nice though. ;) I prefer conversing with a person rather a business.
Until then, lets call him Geoff. Or is it Kate ? Either way, welcome to the forums.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:05 pm

pbekkerh wrote:
il padrone wrote:Equally useful - three cable-ties looped through the cassette and around three spokes/pairs of spokes.
At this time and place I would like to take the opportunity to quote myself :mrgreen:
At home I tried a cloth but didn't succeed, I tried a cablestrips around a spoke but stopped when it started bending. I tried two long cablestrips around the cogs and the tire, but it was too flexible, so I want a cable whip but lightweight.
Yes. I know. Why I suggest three (or even four) around pairs of spokes. Spreads the loads.
Mandatory helmet law?

Breton Bikes

Postby Breton Bikes » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:17 pm

find_bruce wrote:
Kalgrm wrote:A real name to address would be nice though. ;) I prefer conversing with a person rather a business.
Until then, lets call him Geoff. Or is it Kate ? Either way, welcome to the forums.
You don't think Kate bothers writing to cycling Forums do you;-)

No it's Geoff Husband and thanks;-)

thecaptn

Postby thecaptn » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:52 pm

Welcome to the forum Geoff Husband.