Tents, Sleeping Mats, and Bags

flippant

Re: Tents, Sleeping Mats, and Bags

Postby flippant » Sun May 15, 2016 5:04 pm

Tent: MSR Hubba Hubba (older version)
Mat: Neoair Xlite regular
Sleeping bag: JRB Sierra Stealth quilt w/ 1 oz overstuff (untested at lower temperatures, but should be good for around 0c with base layers on)

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri May 20, 2016 10:02 am

Andrew

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Fri May 20, 2016 9:00 pm

Ooooh.
I have the Jet-Stream, which is handy because I can use it as the drybag for the sleeping met too.

http://www.seatosummit.com.au/sleepingm ... ccessories
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Sat May 28, 2016 12:18 pm

Aushiker wrote:
I like the quick inflation. Much better than the faffy built in pump on my Exped synmat.

BenGr

Postby BenGr » Sat May 28, 2016 6:38 pm

Leaf T wrote:
Aushiker wrote:
I like the quick inflation. Much better than the faffy built in pump on my Exped synmat.
I've just bought the Exped Schnozzle pump bag, same idea as above, and apparently it can be used with the integrated pumps as well, with an attachment.

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Sat May 28, 2016 8:21 pm

I have a Exped Schnozzle it came with my mattress purchase plus it doubles as my waterproof stuff sack for my quilt. I like the thing it blows up my mattress in about 3.5 bag fills so very fast and simple to use.

Ricky

Blakeylonger

Postby Blakeylonger » Sun May 29, 2016 12:40 pm

FYI: The nozzles on the S2S and exped mats are the same fittings, so you can use a S2S airstream on an exped mat and a schnozzle on a S2S mat. I've got the S2S sack and it inflates my and my partner's mat (one of each) in a flash.

I'd love it if S2S combined the airstream with the compact drypack/backpack. Be a great 3 in 1 at the expense of a slightly larger packed size.

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Sun May 29, 2016 7:30 pm

Great info so thanks for that. re the backpack integration that would be a bonus. I was in a shop called cheap as chips in Gippsland recently and bought some "foldable shopping bags" for $1.50 each. Ideal for separating stuff in panniers etc. They also had a similar backpack but not waterproof. It pays to think outside the box(brand) when possible.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:03 pm

There is an Exped 7M Downmat inflatable sleep mat, as new for sale via the Bikepacking Australia Facebook group if anyone is interested. The seller is asking $170 plus postage ex Perth.
Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:03 am

Massdrop currently have a drop about to start on a custom Klymit mat made for them, the Klymit Static V Ultra Light. No mention of pricing as yet. It looks like the drop opens tomorrow US time.

Andrew

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:30 am

Aushiker wrote:Massdrop currently have a drop about to start on a custom Klymit mat made for them, the Klymit Static V Ultra Light. No mention of pricing as yet. It looks like the drop opens tomorrow US time.
A price of $50 for the non-insulated pad and $60 for the insulated pad is mentioned in the reviews. That would be very good value.

Probably not wide enough for me and the reviewers seem a little ambivalent about the comfort level for side sleepers.

But at that price if it is correct I could probably afford to experiment with one. And I am reminded to test my Exped pad for the dreaded baffle separation before my next tour, so maybe a backup would be a good idea.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:11 am

Massdrop have a drop on the Terra Nova Wild Country Zephyros 1 or 2. Looking at US$130.09 for the 1P.
Andrew

avolve

Postby avolve » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:06 pm

Aushiker wrote:Image

Massdrop have a drop on the Terra Nova Wild Country Zephyros 1 or 2. Looking at US$130.09 for the 1P.
Looks interesting and the price is pretty good. I see a key difference between this and the Tarotent Protrail (which I am thinking about) being this has more of a fully enclosed fly (and better rain protection). That said, not sure how it might go in the warmer weather down in Oz (i.e. ventilation).

Unrelated, I am waiting on a Sierra Designs Backcountry Synthetic Quilt ordered through Massdrop and hope to be able to provie a review in a few months.

Chris249

Postby Chris249 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:12 pm

Chris249 wrote:I'm no expert, but I sleep cold and yet woke up one morning on the shores of Lake Garda to find that it had snowed heavily on the mountaintops about 5 km away and 2000m up - yet I hadn't felt cold enough to pull clothes on inside the bag. That's pretty much what I was hoping for. I'll try it out in colder temperatures this winter.

I was assured in writing that the temp rating followed the usual official Standard, although of course that is known to be fairly unreliable.
I tried the cheap Oland down to 4 degrees below zero the other night, although I was on carpet; sleeping in my studio attached to the garage with the door open. Wearing just cotton socks and thin merino underlayers I was comfy apart from the chill air blowing into my face for a while. I had the short Nemo mat, the body bag underneath that, and a space blanket under that.

It wasn't the most rigourous test but I'm now confident it can easily handle a night below 0 outdoors, with some warmer clothes on if need be.
Kestrel Talon road 2007
Como Vivente road 2009
Principia track track 2014
Cervelo P2K TT 2003
Merida CX4 2010
Concaeio road

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:00 am

Chris249 wrote:It wasn't the most rigourous test but I'm now confident it can easily handle a night below 0 outdoors, with some warmer clothes on if need be.
That is great to know, as I bought the Oland for use as an Australian conditions snow bag for Alpine touring... Was considering just layering up with merino longs, fleece pants and possibly down jacket.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:00 am

For those who like to take the queen-sized bed with you, well the equivalent in sleeping pads this seriously heavy, well in my opinion anyway, Klymit Insulated Static V Luxe sleeping pad which weighs in at 992g but does give you some serious degree of insulation I guess with an R-value of 5.00 is available at Massdrop for a possible price of AU$146 delivered. As always one should do their research ...

Andrew

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:45 pm

Aushiker wrote:For those who like to take the queen-sized bed with you, well the equivalent in sleeping pads this seriously heavy, well in my opinion anyway, Klymit Insulated Static V Luxe sleeping pad which weighs in at 992g but does give you some serious degree of insulation I guess with an R-value of 5.00 is available at Massdrop for a possible price of AU$146 delivered. As always one should do their research ...

That's a pretty good price what's the dimensions Andrew. Anyone got any first hand use of them?

Ricky

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:59 pm

}SkOrPn--7 wrote:That's a pretty good price what's the dimensions Andrew. Anyone got any first hand use of them?
Details at https://www.klymit.com.au/shop/category ... oducts/924
Andrew

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:01 am

Thanks Andrew that is a good size and the price is awesome.

Ricky

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:56 pm

The extra width would be appreciated. It's 10cm wider than my synmat 7dlx. Are they still available? Did you have to wait a long time?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:26 pm

My new pillow arrived today ... a Sea to Summit Aeros Ultralight pillow and my god this thing packs down small ... I hope it proves to be as comfortable as commentary suggests.

In its little stuff sack it measures 8 cm x 5 cm (fist size) and weighs in its stuff sack a whole 58 grams.
Andrew

BenGr

Postby BenGr » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:12 am

RonK wrote:
But at that price if it is correct I could probably afford to experiment with one. And I am reminded to test my Exped pad for the dreaded baffle separation before my next tour, so maybe a backup would be a good idea.
I had one baffle fail 1.5 months ago, didn't affect the comfort significantly. The 2nd going in the last few days has made it pretty miserable. I'm hoping exped can help me out without me losing this mat in the meantime.

Trevtassie

Postby Trevtassie » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:38 pm

Aushiker wrote:Image

My new pillow arrived today ... a Sea to Summit Aeros Ultralight pillow and my god this thing packs down small ... I hope it proves to be as comfortable as commentary suggests.

In its little stuff sack it measures 8 cm x 5 cm (fist size) and weighs in its stuff sack a whole 58 grams.
I just used the large version on my latest tour, pretty good comfort, the material is a bit stretchy so it has more give than a plain inflatable pillow. I wish they'd make an extra large though, I found even the large to be a bit thin for my desired pillow height.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:01 pm

The Zpacks Duplex is back at Massdrop. The unlocked price is ~ AU$791 delivered. A bit of a saving there.

Andrew

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:09 pm

Leaf T wrote:The extra width would be appreciated. It's 10cm wider than my synmat 7dlx. Are they still available? Did you have to wait a long time?
The Exped delaminated on one baffle day before yesterday. I was half awake when it went and thought someone had kicked the side of my tent before I realised a baffle seam on the pump side had given up. Still usable but not ideal and left me touching the ground :(