Tents, Sleeping Mats, and Bags

edd-there

Re: Tents, Sleeping Mats, and Bags

Postby edd-there » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:05 pm

Has anyone had experiences with the Thermarest Trail Lite Reg? I think mine is dead :cry:

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:51 pm

Not my kind of tent but sharing here for anyone who may be interested in such a beast. Massdrop have a drop on the Kelty Salida at US$132.99 delivered to Australia.
Andrew

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:12 pm

Massdrop have their down quilt going again.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-down-quilt

Would the 35 degree model be ok for most purposes in Victoria? I tend to be a warm sleeper anyway, and would augment with campsite clothing (thermals + puffy) if needed.
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:25 pm

Yeah, I reckon that quilt would be OK for me...
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:45 pm

Massdrop have a drop n the Zpacks Duplex and Triplex tents. The pricing starts at US$559.99 + postage.

Andrew

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:16 pm

Aushiker wrote:Massdrop have a drop n the Zpacks Duplex and Triplex tents. The pricing starts at US$559.99 + postage.
I've not had a chance to peruse your site lately Andrew.

How have you been getting on with your new tent?
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:29 am

Massdrop have a drop on the Mountain Hardwear Phantom Sleeping Bags. Pricing if it gets to the lowest price starts at US$279.99 + postage.

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:32 am

rifraf wrote:I've not had a chance to peruse your site lately Andrew.
Not missing much. Seriously neglected at the moment.
How have you been getting on with your new tent?
Only got to use it on the Holland Track but very happy with it so far. Easy to put up and pull down, handled a really crappy wet night just fine and did well on the other dry but cold nights. Like the low weight for the space. Biggest negative is being cuban fibre does not pack down as small as a sil-nylon tent, but I can live with that.
Andrew

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon May 22, 2017 10:07 am

It was inevitable I suppose - my Exped Synmat 7 started to delaminate last month in NZ. The dimpled Sea to Summit mat looks a likely replacement.

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Mon May 22, 2017 11:12 am

Recently my exped also stuffed up. The entire interior welding of a rib popped (so two of the baffles merged into one gynormous one). Still no puncture or busted exterior seam ... but it is effectively useless as a sleeping mat. Have decided to take advantage of massdrop and try out some of the klymit products instead.
Go!Run!GAH!

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Mon May 22, 2017 12:19 pm

My Synmat 7 popped a seam the same as Cheesewheels last year so I bought the Klymit. I've not tested it on multiple nights but coming from a guy in the 100 club I'm impressed with the comfort and width. From Massdrop it worked out to about $160AUD to my door. https://www.massdrop.com/buy/klymit-ins ... tic-v-luxe

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon May 22, 2017 1:18 pm

RonK wrote:It was inevitable I suppose - my Exped Synmat 7 started to delaminate last month in NZ. The dimpled Sea to Summit mat looks a likely replacement.
Bugger Massdrop.

Sea to Summit Ultralight Sleep Mat currently only $106 + $7.60 postage in size regular from Summit Gear. Rated quite well in Outdoor Gear lab reviews.

You can also get the Sea to Summit Ultralight Insulated Sleep Mat for around $20 more. This would be my choice.

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Mon May 22, 2017 1:30 pm

Good price for the S2S if that is for any of the sizes. A lot lighter and probably packs smaller too than my Klymit. I bought the Klymit because of it's generous width. What price is a good nights sleep? I actually liked my old Thermarest but it was way too narrow and packed down to about the size of a hay bale.

If width doesn't matter then I'd try the S2S.

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Mon May 22, 2017 7:14 pm

RonK wrote:
RonK wrote:It was inevitable I suppose - my Exped Synmat 7 started to delaminate last month in NZ. The dimpled Sea to Summit mat looks a likely replacement.
Bugger Massdrop.

Sea to Summit Ultralight Sleep Mat currently only $106 + $7.60 postage in size regular from Summit Gear. Rated quite well in Outdoor Gear lab reviews.

You can also get the Sea to Summit Ultralight Insulated Sleep Mat for around $20 more. This would be my choice.
Thats the klymit insulated version. They do an uninsulated version at almost $30 cheaper (incl postage) than the sea to summit one. I am going to try out their ultra ultralight version (uninsulated) which comes in around the same price as the sea to summit one. Apparently the o holes in the mat offer space for your sleeping bag to loft (and offer warmth) or alternatively offer space for more cooling (if you lie on it unaided) when its hot. Mine is still in the mail so I haven't tried it out yet.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/38422
Go!Run!GAH!

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Tue May 23, 2017 10:19 am

So a Swiss cheese mat for Cheesewheel. You're a true cheese geezer.

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue May 23, 2017 11:39 am

Cheesewheel wrote:
RonK wrote:
Bugger Massdrop.

Thats the klymit insulated version. They do an uninsulated version at almost $30 cheaper (incl postage) than the sea to summit one. I am going to try out their ultra ultralight version (uninsulated) which comes in around the same price as the sea to summit one. Apparently the o holes in the mat offer space for your sleeping bag to loft (and offer warmth) or alternatively offer space for more cooling (if you lie on it unaided) when its hot. Mine is still in the mail so I haven't tried it out yet.

The feedback is that these unholy holey mats don't work well for side sleepers (that's me).

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Tue May 23, 2017 12:28 pm

Leaf T wrote:So a Swiss cheese mat for Cheesewheel. You're a true cheese geezer.
If it came with a free cheese sandwich I would have posted it in spot a special
Go!Run!GAH!

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed May 31, 2017 4:23 am

RonK wrote:
Cheesewheel wrote:
RonK wrote:
Bugger Massdrop.

The feedback is that these unholy holey mats don't work well for side sleepers (that's me).
Thats me too.
My Synmat7 UL is still holding up (for now) but the statistics appear to not be favourable and I'll not be surprised by immanent delamitation.

I can't complain, as its done a decent turn and provided plenty of comfort.

I decided to consider something else for its replacement due to some shops appearing to no longer carry them suggesting issues.

I'm looking forward to your report on purchase/use on the Sea to Summit mat so as to make a better informed purchase decision.

I'm more comfortable with its more traditional aesthetic appeal.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed May 31, 2017 4:11 pm

I already had the plastic out for a new xiaomi battery, a pump and Rohloff gear cog and carrier.

I decided to take up your suggestion RonK for the insulated Sea to Summit mat.

They are very swift to acknowledge the order with 3 instant emails arriving in my inbox. :)

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed May 31, 2017 4:17 pm

rifraf wrote:I decided to take up your suggestion RonK for the insulated Sea to Summit mat.
hehe - well in that case I'll look forward to your report on the S2S mat. :D

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:20 pm

RonK wrote:
rifraf wrote:I decided to take up your suggestion RonK for the insulated Sea to Summit mat.
The post finally arrived.

Funny how if you weren't awaiting them they would be driving past around 9 am but when your hanging around its in the afternoon... but I digress.

Useless so and so gave a single bang on my front door and was no where to be seen when I opened it and had left it on the doorstep to be seen by all and sundry.

No way would it have still been there had I been out upon my arrival.

Anyway, I got it out of the postoffice packaging and its own cardboard "boxing" and my first impression is its in the vicinity of 20 to 25% larger than my Exped Synmat7 UL M.

This within its bag rolled up.

Running late for some business, it will be hopefully late this afternoon or early evening before I can get back with hopefully the time to snap a couple of pics showing the sizing difference, likely due to its insulation which I don't believe the Synmat7 has, and first look out of its bag. :)

So 7 days from go to woah.
I'd ordered on the 31st it appears and today is the 7th.
Wish some of my other orders were so quick.

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:53 pm

rifraf wrote:
RonK wrote:
The post finally arrived.

Funny how if you weren't awaiting them they would be driving past around 9 am but when your hanging around its in the afternoon... but I digress.

Useless so and so gave a single bang on my front door and was no where to be seen when I opened it......
Haha. Very true. And when they do the single knock and disappear I'm surprised I can't smell the smoke from the flames on their heels.

Warin

Postby Warin » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:19 am

Leaf T wrote: when they do the single knock
Shout! :o
Then they know;
someone is home, and
they are coming.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:17 am

I was on the indoor trainer at home once and watched the postman pull up...walk to the letterbox and off he went... went down stairs and here was a sorry we missed you card... he didnt even knock... still better than here where they tried twice on the same day and then sent the parcel back to England
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:18 pm

Warin wrote:
Leaf T wrote: when they do the single knock
Shout! :o
Then they know;
someone is home, and
they are coming.
Oh I did but I guess in the spirit of diversity he might have been hearing impaired for yesterday. :lol: :lol:

No matter, I'm simply glad he did arrive and my item is within my grasp. :)

I revise my estimate and now think 25 to 30% larger for the new mat.

Sorry for the softness of the pics, I'm as yet unfamiliar with my new 85mm and its focus is fussier than my other lenses.