Tents, Sleeping Mats, and Bags

paul-gee

Tents, Sleeping Mats, and Bags

Postby paul-gee » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:41 am

Let's have a bit of fun. What tent, sleeping mat, sleeping bag do you take on tour?

I'll go first.

Tent - On my upcoming Victorian trip I'll be test driving a Zempire Atom 1P. They're relatively new to Australia but are really well presented and made, so I want to see whether they live up to their appearances.

Sleeping Mat - Sea to Summit Ultralight (Regular)

Sleeping Bag - One Planet Sac 1

(Disclosure: I work for camping store Snowys in Adelaide.)

dalai47

Re: Tents, Sleeping Mats, and Bags

Postby dalai47 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:12 am

My set up weighs just under 2kg for the tent and footprint, sleeping mat and quilt.

Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1 incl footprint - 1051g
Enlightened Equipment -1 degree quilt - 550g
KlymitX Frame Recon mat- 340g

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:02 am

Tent: Tarptent Protrail
Mat: Exped Synmat UL 7
Bag: Marmot Hydrogen
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

m@

Postby m@ » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:12 pm

Tent - Tarptent Scarp 1, looking at a Protrail as the Scarp's carbon fibre struts make packing a little difficult. Safe to say I'm a Tarptent fan... ;)
Sleeping Mat - MacPac Short Insulated Air Core - mostly because I needed one at short notice and it was on sale. Pretty happy with it so far, although reviews indicate failure at the seams is a common issue the sales guy told me this has been resolved - time will tell.
Sleeping Bag - MacPac Escapade 150 - really designed as a booster, but as a warm sleeper I find it fine for 3-season use near sea level with a silk liner.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

iacl

Postby iacl » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:59 am

Tent: Salewa Micra.
Mat: Thermarest Prolite.
Sleeping Bag: Silk liner with Roman Palm IV or if cooler temps Roman Palm Passport. mostly opened up as a doona, I hate being mumified

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:07 pm

I prefer durability over lightness...

Tent: One Planet Goodie 1 for single person and Exped Orion 2 when I have company.

Sleeping Mat: Thermarest Ridge Rest

Sleeping Bag: One Planet Sac 4 for warmer conditions. One Planet Bushlite for cold conditions.

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:05 am

Tent- Hilleberg Stakia
Mat - Exped SynMat 12 LXW
Bag - Enlightened Equipment Quilt - custom made Prodigy

Ricky

Stuntman

Postby Stuntman » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:50 pm

Tent: Tarptent Scarp 1 or Exped Mira1
Sleeping Mat: Exped synmat UL7 or Sea to Summit comfort plus (regular)
Bag: Enlightened Equipment Quilt - Custom Prodigy
Vivente Randoneur SHB, Focus Paralane, Giant Anyroad, Merida Big Nine, 1990 Miyata 414, 1978 Peugeot Mixte, Brumby Tandem,

tmac100

Postby tmac100 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:29 pm

Tent: Hilleberg Akto with footprint. Lots of room in vestibule to protect gear from rain/dew. Expensive but does the job very well.
Pad: Mylar bubble pad used for insulation (here is an idea of using it). Not sure if availavle in OZ, but my brother gave me 5 meters which weighs almost nothing. Cheap.
Bag: old North Face synthetic proprietary (??) fill - originally good to -7C. Bought used. Had a silk liner as an "extra"

This gear orked well across the Nullabore last July-August. :P

Tim

Postby Tim » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:17 pm

Tents: Hilleberg Soulo plus footprint and mesh interior for warmer weather. One Planet Caddis Industrial Range, 2 man. Macpac Olympus (ancient).
Mats: Exped Downmat 7, the heavier and hopefully more durable one with the 2 handed pump. Only bought Downmat as it was on special a couple of years ago and would otherwise have bought the Synmat. 28 year old 3/4 thermarest, still works, never punctured.
Bags: Really old -10 Aurora Australian made down filled. Sea to Summit Trek III. Enlightened Equipment Revelation Wide Quilt 5℃ for summer. Cotton Liner, feels like cotton sheets at home. Thermarest medium compressible pillow and cotton pillow case.
All the above gear has had a run over the last couple of years apart from the Olympus. One big sneeze and it'd probably shred to ribbons.

Rodgerbiltit
Location: The best place in Australia and the world for bicycle touring!

Postby Rodgerbiltit » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:08 pm

Tent: Tarptent Double Rainbow + Tyvek footprint - room for all the panniers next to me... http://www.tarptent.com/double-rainbow.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sleeping Mat: NEMO Astro Air Lite 20R - seems to keep my hips off the ground http://www.nemoequipment.com/product/?p ... r+Lite+20R" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bag: J&H Bush-Lite + Silk liner - still workin' well after 30yrs! Works well as a quilt or bag. Used to be -5C, not so sure these days! Can't find much reference to them on the net!
Pillow: Sea To Summit Aero Pillow Premium - beats chasing a pile of folded clothes all night! http://www.seatosummit.com/product/?ite ... &o3=571-30" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:16 pm

Tent: MSR Hubba Hubba for me and Mutha Hubba with Mrs Leaf T

Sleeping Mat: Exped Synmat 7 Large one with 2 hands to pump it. Pillows. Black wolf and Mammut but best one is cheapy inflatable from Rays or BCF? If a little bigger it would be perfect but fleece jacket helps.

Sleeping Bag: Marmot Double wide down bag. -30f but have felt the cold one or two nights especially at -3. Kind of like mummy bag but has zips on side for giving a little bit more room.

Chris249

Postby Chris249 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:40 pm

Oland Down sleeping bag - $99 bucks, 800 grammes, rated -5, packs down well and so far very impressive for the price.
Nemo Zor Short mat - 285 g. Very happy with it.
Terra Nova Adventure Tarp 2, 671 gr. Servicable, but could to with more tie-offs.
Groundsheet - homemade Tyvek bathtub. It got overwhelmed when I was camping in a camping ground and had to stay in a site that ended up ankle-deep in a massive thunderstorm and I hadn't take the time to set it up properly.

On the way - Alpkit Hunka bivvy, 375g

A pretty cheap set of gear but it seems to work well. I wouldn't mind getting a better bathtub later. The main issue with the tarp is lack of privacy in some camping grounds, but when your trips involve climbing European Alpine climbs and only a few overnight stays, it seems worth the low weight and price.
Kestrel Talon road 2007
Como Vivente road 2009
Principia track track 2014
Cervelo P2K TT 2003
Merida CX4 2010
Concaeio road

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:21 am

Chris249 wrote:Oland Down sleeping bag - $99 bucks, 800 grammes, rated -5, packs down well and so far very impressive for the price.
Impressive price and weight! How accurate do you feel the temp rating is and how close to 800g?

Chris249

Postby Chris249 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:26 am

I'm no expert, but I sleep cold and yet woke up one morning on the shores of Lake Garda to find that it had snowed heavily on the mountaintops about 5 km away and 2000m up - yet I hadn't felt cold enough to pull clothes on inside the bag. That's pretty much what I was hoping for. I'll try it out in colder temperatures this winter.

I was assured in writing that the temp rating followed the usual official Standard, although of course that is known to be fairly unreliable.
Kestrel Talon road 2007
Como Vivente road 2009
Principia track track 2014
Cervelo P2K TT 2003
Merida CX4 2010
Concaeio road

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:56 am

Thanks Chris249. 8)

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:45 am

Massdrop have a drop forthcoming on the above sleeping bag at a cost of US$199 approximately. The drop goes live on Friday.

They describe the bag thus:

UL Down 20° Sleeping Quilt is great for backpacking, bike touring, traveling, and anyone who wants freedom of movement while they sleep—and a lighter pack to carry the following day. Everything about it, from the dimensions to the footbox design, was built based on polls, drop feedback, and requests from the community. The quilt is made right here in the USA and EN-rated to 20 degrees Fahrenheit, with 14 ounces of 750-fill down and a total weight of just 20.9 ounces.

There is also discussion of the sleeping bag at BackpackingLight.
Andrew

ianganderton

Postby ianganderton » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:56 pm

Tent: don't have one here in Oz that I have used for touring but the Terranova Voyger would be my stating point if buying one. For a project starting in just over a week (Newcastle area) I will use an OR Goretex bivi bag

For car camping I currently use a Terranova Quasar. Probably the best tent in the world. I've had them buried in snow and in 100mph gusts. They have never let me down even in the very worst of mountain conditions.

I also have a Vango Mirage 300 I need to sell

Sleeping mat: TAR neolight full length. Amazingly light and warm but a bit fragile. I need to find and repair the pinhole leak it has before next weekend.

Sleeping bag: packed for next weekend I have a Vango Venom 200 that should be warm enough and very light. I always use silk liners for easy cleaning.
I also have an old mountain equipment light line and a snow line. These are easily 12 years old but are still amazing bags. The lightly elasticates inside makes a big difference to warmth. I've used both in tough conditions and they were great at Thredbo a couple of weekends ago when we had a significant frost and I've on the tents
NOT sent from tapatalk

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:13 pm

Aushiker wrote:UL Down 20° Sleeping Quilt
These are made by Enlightened equipment. I have the 30° Revelation - ordered extra wide and extra long with water repellent 800 fill - total weight 550g. Been very happy with it!

I would join this Massdrop if I didn't have one already...

Photo from when I tested the gear last year before riding the Mawson. :D

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu May 05, 2016 11:59 am

John at HikeLighter.com has a bit of a review on the Mountain Laurel Designs FKT Quilt. Probably one more for the bikepackers ...
Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri May 06, 2016 4:26 pm

Review of the Big Agnes Fly Creek HV at BikePacking.com
Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu May 12, 2016 10:41 am

Another option forthcoming in the growing lightweight shelter market ... the Sierra Designs High Route 1 FL tent comes in at 1 kg.

More about it on Andrew's Skurka's blog post here.
Andrew

silentC

Postby silentC » Thu May 12, 2016 10:53 am

It has been about 20 years since I took this stuff anywhere on a bicycle but I bought it for hiking and still use it for that.

Tent: Salewa dome - bit heavy at 3kg with alloy poles. Not strictly a snow tent but has full bathtub floor and has been used above the snow line. Two large vestibules and can be pitched from inside, which is great when it is raining. I have had to reseal the seam tapes, otherwise still going strong.

Mat: Full length Thermarest.

Bag: Paddy Pallin summer bag (down) plus a cotton warm up liner when needed. I'm a warm sleeper and have slept above the snow line with this set up plus full length polyprop undies.
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

avolve

Postby avolve » Thu May 12, 2016 2:11 pm

silentC wrote:It has been about 20 years since I took this stuff anywhere on a bicycle but I bought it for hiking and still use it for that.

Tent: Salewa dome - bit heavy at 3kg with alloy poles. Not strictly a snow tent but has full bathtub floor and has been used above the snow line. Two large vestibules and can be pitched from inside, which is great when it is raining. I have had to reseal the seam tapes, otherwise still going strong.

Mat: Full length Thermarest.
I also have these, and taken them on many a cycling adventure. The tent has been re-sealed (likely needs another) and has not been used in some time. Looking for a replacement (both lightweight solo touring and for multi-person overnighter-multiday rides).

I picked up an Exped Synmat 7MW this week and will be interesting to compare with the thermarest...

[Jack]son

Postby [Jack]son » Sat May 14, 2016 8:30 pm

Tent: Hilleberg Akto - 1500gms or Tarptent Double Rainbow - 1400gms
Mat: Thermarest Neoair Xlite - regular 360gms
Sleeping bag: Tier Gear Possum quilt - 570gms at 2 degrees