Tents, Sleeping Mats, and Bags

Aushiker

Re: Tents, Sleeping Mats, and Bags

Postby Aushiker » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:47 pm

RonK wrote:What became of the Evolution? Did you wear it out or pass it on? What was the quality like?

Sold or passed it on or I may still have it now that I think about it. Must check the storage shed! I "upgraded" to the Scarp 1.

Big Sky Products are good tents from my experience but they can be a pain to get. There has been in the past reports of persistent supply issues so I would be willing to accept a long lead time or double check that they actually have stock. The guy behind the brand whose name escapes me often travels to Asia so can be hard to contact. That said all my dealings with him in the past where positive, just sometimes a bit slow communication wise.

I did look at their offerings but got frustrated trying to put all the details together, e.g., weights if different options where selected; specifications etc.

He seems to be also running two websites with some information/models on one and not the other and often links going to 404 errors from the old website. I just gave up and went back to the Tarptent/SMD/Lightheart.

Also it looks like not a lot of product development has taken place since I first got my Evolution which is maybe not an issue anyway.
Andrew
~ Aushiker.com

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:08 am

Image from Massdrop.

If price is your driver over weight this offering at Massdrop might be of interest. It is a drop on a Marmot Limelight 2P Tent at a low price of US156.99, so ~ AU$257 delivered in Australia.

Keep in mind this beast of a tent weighs in at around 2.6 kg.
Andrew
~ Aushiker.com

avolve

Postby avolve » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:16 am

Aushiker wrote:Image
Image from Massdrop.

If price is your driver over weight this offering at Massdrop might be of interest. It is a drop on a Marmot Limelight 2P Tent at a low price of US156.99, so ~ AU$257 delivered in Australia.

Keep in mind this beast of a tent weighs in at around 2.6 kg.

For this price, seriously considering for +1 trips. Very good price (best I can find for the MSR Tour 2 is $600, which is very good in itself, and weight is comparable)

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:05 pm

Compact, light, cheap - an oxymoron surely? Well if you are looking for something light and packable to keep the bugs at bay on summer bikepacking trips, this might work for you.

Ultrapack SW - Single Wall, 670g, 20D Ripstop Nylon PU 3000mm

There is also a double wall version available.

Ultrapack DW - Double wall, 890g, 20D Ripstop Nylon PU3000mm
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:02 pm

On my bike shop and camping store trek in Sydney today I discovered a new store, which happens to be in Macpac's 2nd store next to their main one but....it ain't Macpac, they gave up their 2nd store and have been taken up by Montbell Outdoors.
Apparently it's Montbell's first store in Australia so I hope it does well in amongst huge competition.
Apparently distributed by Larry Adler Ski & Outdoor, this Japanese brand founded by a Japanese guy Tatsuno https://www.montbelloutdoor.com.au/about-us anyway, you can read about them here.

Now I'm no expert on outdoor gear like some of you here but it seems to be of a high quality and they have a huge market share in Japan. I particularly liked their inflatable sleeping mat that rolls down to the size of one of them large energy drink cans.
https://www.montbelloutdoor.com.au/ul-c ... ir-pad-180
or a self inflating model
https://www.montbelloutdoor.com.au/ul-c ... em-pad-180

I also liked their jackets, ..I think i need to lose more weight :lol: The XL's didn't quite fit my girth but they do seem to be a bit more roomy than some of the other top Adventure brands for their size.

Anyway,for those who live in Sydney, might be worth giving them a look through.

Cheers

brumby33
(Dave)
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR -2013

Stuntman

Postby Stuntman » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:22 am

I am usually a quilt type of guy as being quite broad, sleeping bags and I don't usually get on. But when I want to go the sleeping bag route, my montbell spiral downhugger is just fantastic (I think its an 800 #5). Will need to drop in and have a look at the shop
Vivente Randoneur SHB, Giant Anyroad, Merida Big Nine, 1990 Miyata 414, 1978 Peugeot Mixte, Brumby Tandem

uad782

Postby uad782 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:07 pm

Most of you have probably seen these but wondering what you think. It seems the Chinese are knocking ff the popular UL tents. The Naturehike brand seems to get pretty good reviews.

I am seriously considering getting a BA Copper Spur clone, the Naturehike Star River.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Natureh ... 09062.html

It also includes the footprint for around $160 aud compared to $700 for the big Agnes version.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:55 am

There has been some discussion about these on bushwalk.com. The comments seem mostly positive.

NatureHike Star River 2

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:47 pm

One of the members at the Bushwalking forums has a Nature Hike tent on ebay at the moment.
Andrew
~ Aushiker.com

uad782

Postby uad782 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:08 pm

Thanks Andrew and Ron.

I really don’t know what sort of ul tent to get. So many choices. That’s why I was thinking of these.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:03 pm

uad782 wrote:Thanks Andrew and Ron.

I really don’t know what sort of ul tent to get. So many choices. That’s why I was thinking of these.

Well, you are not on your own there. I have tried quite a few different tents and still have found the perfect one. Andrew too I think.

For the money I can't see how you can go wrong even if it only lasts a couple of reasons. Just as long as it packs small enough and light enough to carry.

I have been mulling over the Big Agness Copper Spur HV UL 2. Not that I need a 2P tent, but I want 2 doors for ventilation.