Tents, Sleeping Mats, and Bags

Aushiker

Re: Tents, Sleeping Mats, and Bags

Postby Aushiker » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:42 am

Massdrop has a drop on the Therm-a-Rest NeoAir Xlite with the small at the lowest price of $126 in your tent.

avolve

Postby avolve » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:42 pm

Continuing a discussion I prompted at http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 1#p1417868 regarding the MSR Hubba Tour tent?? https://www.msrgear.com/ie/tents/hubba-tour-2

I am (still) looking for a new tent. Ideally, a one-size fits most option. I have a twin vestibule 2.5 person Salewa dome tent I have used in a few forests in Oz and Canada (hiking and cycle touring). At more than a decade old, it is showing some signs of age (along with a couple repairs). Weight is not the most pressing criteria.

I have toured a few times (longest 11 day self-supported), and ridden some long days (~220kms). I have pulled quite heavy trailers (originally a Yakima BOB clone, and later a BOB Ibex) over the mountains in upstate New York, and mountain passes across BC and into Alberta.

I am more looking at solo bike packing (several days, less than a week), and two-person gravel touring. More relaxed/slower paced days enjoying the scenery and longer times in camp.

I have gone between something light like a ProTrail, to something more one-size like a MSR Hubba with gear loft (as in, only take it when wanted).

The Hubba 2 Tour looks like a good option for longer mornings, and likely some of the places for two-person camping (poles on the outside pitching looks like a good feature too). The 2 person is not that much heavier than the solo, so could be a workable compromise.

Alternatively, a Hubba 2 with seperate gear loft, though loses the external poles/simpler pitching (and a used Hubba 1 is then an option for solo)

Interested in other's thoughts.

[I only came across the Hubba Tour given the return to green fly material —> stealth camping compatibility]

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:47 pm

The Hubba Tour looks like a good option for couples touring, The extra porch space would be especially good if you need to stow four panniers. I do like the freestanding single pitch design, and the external poles, but I have an aversion to hubbed poles.

The Protrail is a great little tent for bikepacking for its light weight and small packed size. But in my experience it is definitely not suitable for cool weather camping. I spent a couple of cold, wet and uncomfortable nights in the Protrail this April in New Zealand. Sure, you expect some condensation with a single skin tent, but really, the Protrail is really only suited to warmer weather.

For an all rounder that has all the attributes I've grown to appreciate - freestanding, single-pitch, external poles, dual entrances, vestibules supported by the poles, I'm convinced the best all-rounder is the Big Sky Chinook with both mesh and fabric inners. Even the 1P Chinook has dual entrances and would be my choice.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

battler2

Postby battler2 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:50 am

interesting about the hubba tour, will be looking at this, as keeping panniers and other stuff dry is handy (and out of the sleeping area), but also fairly well closed so no-one can really see it.

looks pricey, will keep an eye on deals, let me know if you find a good sale on it. initial searches show importing from UK is a bit cheaper

wish there was a way to secure a bike properly. depending on where you're touring, can be stolen while you sleep.

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:16 am

If you have no place to secure the bike while sleeping, try making the bike one of the tent secure points, by laying the bike down, ensure that the tents ropes and pegs are intertwined with the bike so if anyone tries to move your bike, it'll interrupt the tent and unless you're totally comatozed whilst sleeping, it will disturb you if there's any sudden movement. The idea of stealth camping if that's your aim is to make sure there's less than 1% chance you'll be seen. Always try to camp above the high side of any road because people generally look down, not up but you can see down....find a hump on a hill and camp on the other side of that.
Just a few ideas.

Cheers

brumby33
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

Cycleops70

Postby Cycleops70 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:01 pm

avolve wrote:
The Hubba 2 Tour looks like a good option for longer mornings, and likely some of the places for two-person camping (poles on the outside pitching looks like a good feature too). The 2 person is not that much heavier than the solo, so could be a workable compromise.

Alternatively, a Hubba 2 with seperate gear loft, though loses the external poles/simpler pitching (and a used Hubba 1 is then an option for solo)

Interested in other's thoughts.

[I only came across the Hubba Tour given the return to green fly material —> stealth camping compatibility]
I've used the Hubba one person for single bikepacking outings, & a Elixir 2 for more family stuff. I bought a detachable gear thingy, but not yet had a chance to use it.

If you're after a one size fits all, the Hubba Hubba or Elixir with a gear shed I think would be a versatile option.

avolve

Postby avolve » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:45 pm

Seems like the MSR Elixir 2 might be a more suitable option than the Hubba — more durability (a weight penalty), with an optional gear shed as well.

Gives the option of not taking the gear shed. I can't seem to find the tent in green, though I can find the gear shed in green... It comes is in a light (closer to white) grey.
battler2 wrote: looks pricey, will keep an eye on deals, let me know if you find a good sale on it. initial searches show importing from UK is a bit cheaper

wish there was a way to secure a bike properly. depending on where you're touring, can be stolen while you sleep.
Bike24 has the best prices I have found so far.

I have never had an issue leaving my bike outside when thing across Canada. I have though, angled a wheel under the fly and set gear on it at times.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:39 pm

Only weighs a claimed 526 grams

Cheap as chips too :)

Warin

Postby Warin » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:10 am

Aushiker wrote:Cheap as chips too
930 ukp + shipping .. will attract GST charges too. Single entry, fly looks see through .. may not be water proof in a heavy down poor? 3 season. No thanks. Too much money, needs review of actual use in heavy rain.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:25 am

Warin wrote:
Aushiker wrote:Cheap as chips too
930 ukp + shipping .. will attract GST charges too. Single entry, fly looks see through .. may not be water proof in a heavy down poor? 3 season. No thanks. Too much money, needs review of actual use in heavy rain.
Its cuben fibre ... it is waterproof, well my Zpacks Duplex is :)

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:15 pm

One for the MSR fans. Massdrop have a drop on the MSR Hubba NX (1P, 2P, 3P). Pricing delivered to Australia for the 1P is $360. Please check Massdrop for the other options if interested.

avolve

Postby avolve » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:42 pm

RonK wrote:The Protrail is a great little tent for bikepacking for its light weight and small packed size. But in my experience it is definitely not suitable for cool weather camping. I spent a couple of cold, wet and uncomfortable nights in the Protrail this April in New Zealand. Sure, you expect some condensation with a single skin tent, but really, the Protrail is really only suited to warmer weather.
Do you have experiences with using it in warmer weather?

I have looked at a Protrail before for solo bikepacking adventures in the summer months. I regularly come back to it as a very good option...

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:19 pm

avolve wrote:
RonK wrote:The Protrail is a great little tent for bikepacking for its light weight and small packed size. But in my experience it is definitely not suitable for cool weather camping. I spent a couple of cold, wet and uncomfortable nights in the Protrail this April in New Zealand. Sure, you expect some condensation with a single skin tent, but really, the Protrail is really only suited to warmer weather.
Do you have experiences with using it in warmer weather?

I have looked at a Protrail before for solo bikepacking adventures in the summer months. I regularly come back to it as a very good option...
I have not used it in summer but I expect it would be fine in warmer conditions. But that is not when I usually go touring. I dislike the heat and summertime crowds so tour in spring or autumn.

avolve

Postby avolve » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:11 am

Thanks @RonK. Your experiences and helping me think through options (and remind me of my own past experiences).

I might start with an MSR Elixir 2 for its versatility, and look into a lighter option (pro trail or tarp set-up) for solo adventures in warmer months..

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:13 pm

If anyone is interested in a Tarptent Blowfin 1 I have put one up for sale over the Bushwalking forums. You are welcome to check it out :)

Also if anyone has a Tarptent Double Rainbow that you would be interesting in selling you are welcome to PM me :) Other possible options I would consider are a Six Moon Designs Lunar Duo and a Lightheart Duo but my preference is the Tarptent.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:14 pm

If anyone is interested in a Tarptent Blowfin 1 I have put one up for sale over the Bushwalking forums. You are welcome to check it out :)

Also if anyone has a Tarptent Double Rainbow that you would be interesting in selling you are welcome to PM me :) Other possible options I would consider are a Six Moon Designs Lunar Duo and a Lightheart Duo but my preference is the Tarptent.

Rodgerbiltit
Location: The best place in Australia and the world for bicycle touring!

Postby Rodgerbiltit » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:24 pm

G'day Andrew,
I have a Tarptent Double Rainbow (not for sale) that I've just converted to being able to free-stand (I don't tour with trekking poles). Interested in what appeals to you about the Rainbow over the Blowfin?
Rodger

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:02 pm

Rodgerbiltit wrote:G'day Andrew,
I have a Tarptent Double Rainbow (not for sale) that I've just converted to being able to free-stand (I don't tour with trekking poles). Interested in what appeals to you about the Rainbow over the Blowfin?
Interested in your conversion ... I was thinking sticks if needed :)

As to the Blowfin 1 simply space. I have found that I have been spoilt with my last two tents: a Zpacks Duplex and a Tarptent Scarp 1 and I am not adjusting to back to having a single person tent. Not the end of the world but I can sell it and get a Double Rainbow I will, otherwise I will live with it.

avolve

Postby avolve » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:00 am

Aushiker wrote:If anyone is interested in a Tarptent Blowfin 1 I have put one up for sale over the Bushwalking forums. You are welcome to check it out :)
I am interested your blowfin Andrew. Is the inner the full mesh sides version, or does it have material on some of the side walls?

Rodgerbiltit
Location: The best place in Australia and the world for bicycle touring!

Postby Rodgerbiltit » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:12 am

Andrew,
According to the Tarptent site both the Blowfin 1 (127cm) and Double Rainbow (127cm) are the same width of floor?
Perhaps a Blowfin 2 (178cm) would be a better option? I'll try PM with a photo of the free standing setup...
Rodger

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:44 am

avolve wrote:
Aushiker wrote:If anyone is interested in a Tarptent Blowfin 1 I have put one up for sale over the Bushwalking forums. You are welcome to check it out :)
I am interested your blowfin Andrew. Is the inner the full mesh sides version, or does it have material on some of the side walls?
Full mesh interior, so no material on the side walls. They describe it as a hybrid.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:54 am

Rodgerbiltit wrote:Andrew,
According to the Tarptent site both the Blowfin 1 (127cm) and Double Rainbow (127cm) are the same width of floor?
The Tarptent measurements can be a bit misleading. Yes it is 127 cm but only at the centre point and only when the floor is fully pulled out and the vestibule space is reduced. At each end and for most of the length of the floor, the width is 51 cm.

Also you actually don't get a lot of expanded space even when pulled out. Not like you are getting with your Double Rainbow. To be honest it is a good space for a single person tent; it is just me getting old and wanting a little more luxury. My previous single person tent was a Big Sky Evolution 1P and I used that for a lot of nights. The space was more than enough in those days.

Compare this to your Double Rainbow ...

The floor is rectangle and hence the width of 127 cm is consistent the full length of the floor.

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:43 am

Aushiker wrote:My previous single person tent was a Big Sky Evolution 1P and I used that for a lot of nights. The space was more than enough in those days.
What became of the Evolution? Did you wear it out or pass it on? What was the quality like?

I'm quite taken with the Big Sky Chinook 1P. Having owned a Hilleberg Soulo I came to prefer a three-pole freestanding tent with external poles, but until I spotted the Chinook every similar tent I've seen has been as heavy and as bulky as the 2.5 kg Soulo. The Chinook 1P would satisfy all my preferences and at around 1.5 kg is only around 600g heavier than the Protrail. I can't find any information about the packed size however. There is also a 1.5P version of the Chinook but I think that might push the packability too far.

The Tarptent Protrail I used in NZ this autumn was a great compromise for packability in bikepacking mode, but it proved not a good choice for autumn temps, and I spent a couple of uncomfortable nights. I think the compromise between packability and liveability is too much for my mode of usage, which is usually in the cooler seasons.

avolve

Postby avolve » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:02 pm

Aushiker wrote:
avolve wrote:
Full mesh interior, so no material on the side walls. They describe it as a hybrid.
I have a SynMat 7 LW, and not sure it would fit inside at 25" — http://www.exped.com/usa/en/product-cat ... ynmat-7-lw

I'll have to check the size of my old thermarest (and how small it packs)

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:40 pm

avolve wrote:I have a SynMat 7 LW, and not sure it would fit inside at 25" — http://www.exped.com/usa/en/product-cat ... ynmat-7-lw
I have a SynMat 7s which is claimed to be 51 cm wide. I will try it on the weekend for you to see how it fits. I would be very surprised if it does not fit but.

If you look at the videos at https://www.tarptent.com/bowfin1.html you can get a bit of an idea about the interior space usage. Section Hiker also has a review on it but Philip does not mention what pad he used. I have asked in the comments as curious myself now.
Last edited by Aushiker on Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.