Fenders

Frankie_J

Fenders

Postby Frankie_J » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:24 am

Howdy all,

I'm preparing for my first tour which will be in the first half of next year and am starting to put together my rig.

I've gone for a giant toughroad as a base and am now going through the selection of racks and fenders etc.

Can anyone suggest full fenders that will suit a 29er wheel with disc brakes? I'm looking at running 2inch tyres with front and rear rack.

thanks in advance

tmac100

Re: Fenders

Postby tmac100 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:13 pm

YMMV, but I have done 3 "fender-free" tours in Australia in the last decade and they have been between 4 and 6 weeks long. I don't have fenders on and of my bicycle - but have on my Greenspeed GTO because it came that way when I bought it. Never saw much of a need for fenders. Mind you, I have toured in July and August and have not had much rain.

Maybe you should re-think your "need" for fenders. They really are not necessary. However, I do not have all of the information you personally have. Thus, my opinion is biased according to my own needs and experiences. I do have a set of fenders but they are sitting in my brother's garage in Canada.

FWIW, two bicyclists passed me on the Eyre Hwy and neither had fenders. One was doing 125 km a day on average (and was coming from the UK via the Silk Route, Vietnam and Singapore) and the other was hell-bent on completing a "hot" circle of Australia and his average was 137km/day. I repeat - NO fenders on either touring bicycles. One used a Rolhoff if that matters. My average was 80 km/day. I also finally switched to 4 panniers and no trailer as it "made me" carry and cart too much unneeded stuff.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:39 pm

SKS Bluemels should do the job. 65mm profile is what you want.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:00 pm

I have a set of SKS Chromoplastic P50 mudguards (they are mudguards in Australia; fenders is an American term) fitted to my Surly Long Haul Trucker and would replace them with another set of SKS mudguards should the need arise.

I find them of benefit in rain and on wet roads as you would expect but I also like spending long miles on gravel roads and they come into their own then as well ... sure beats being hit by flying stones all the time.

The only downside is when you hit mud; it can mean you clog up quickly ... :(

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:28 pm

I have happily used the 55mm width fenders with a 2.0" and 2.15" tyres and it worked well. The narrower width sits better with my normal town and touring 1.75" tyres.

Whip them off for real bad mud !!

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

BenGr

Postby BenGr » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:33 am

I won't be using fenders for my next tour, but that's mainly because I have no extra clearance.

I used them last tour and front fenders are especially handy to keep crap of your feet and legs.

avolve

Postby avolve » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:09 pm

I have toured with and without.

Waiting for shoes to dry is more time consuming, though much less uncomfortable, than riding with them as they do.

Keepign crap of your legs (from the front tyre) is a massive bonus...

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:58 pm

I commute and use mudguards. They are invaluable IMO. Don't weigh much, keep a lot of crap off you, why not?

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:12 am

+1 for mudguards/fenders. Helps to keep you clean but more importantly they help to keep the drivetrain clean which equals better performance and longer life with less maintenance.

Frankie_J

Postby Frankie_J » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:40 pm

Thanks guys, seems like the consensus is for, which is what I was leaning towards.

I'll keep a look out for a deal on SKS mudguards.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:26 pm

I have SKS mudguards, they are an excellent choice.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:24 pm

I bought these for the commuting MTB.

Rear - http://www.this link is broken/au/e ... prod104736
Front - http://www.this link is broken/au/e ... -prod25805

My wife asked if there was any possible way I could add more accessories to my bike. I told her there ar e still a few spots here and there available :D
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:04 pm

+1 from me for using mudguards. After getting a bit of crap in my eye (passed safety glasses) riding in the wet one day I fitted them and to be honest wouldn't do any serious ride without them.

On my Giant Reign I use the Zefal 'No Mud' guards which work well, can be adjusted to leave adequate clearance and will tolerate quite a bit of abuse. I was using this bike for road work and was running 50mm tyres:

http://www.zefal.com/en/mudguards-mtb/74-no-mud.html

On my road bike I run Specialized PnP fenders as they hug my tyres nicely and require a second look to see them.
2015 Specialized Diverge Carbon Expert
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed May 18, 2016 1:19 pm

Spotted yet another option that I didn't see mentioned

http://www.blackburndesign.com/en_eu/fe ... zveEGMumT9

Up to 2.35 tire coverage.

Personally I like my polished stainless steel Gilles Berthoud but then I like shiny things....... 8)
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.