GPS/Smartphone Apps as a GPS Unit

Aushiker

GPS/Smartphone Apps as a GPS Unit

Postby Aushiker » Thu May 19, 2016 11:29 am

Bikepacking.com has posted a summary, state of the market sort of article on smartphone apps that can enable the use of one's smartphone as a GPS.

Also a free subscription to GaiaPro on offer ...
And we have great news… After getting in touch with Gaia regarding this post, they’ve offered one year of their GaiaPro subscription free to any readers of Bikepacking.com. GaiaPro can be used as a standalone service on gaiagps.com, or as an enhancement to the mobile app if you choose to purchase it. To redeem this offer, simply email support@gaiagps.com and mention bikepacking.com.
If you have other suggestions please add them. Hopefully we can turn the thread into an on-going resource on the topic.

Leaf T

Re: GPS/Smartphone Apps as a GPS Unit

Postby Leaf T » Sun May 29, 2016 1:23 pm

Do you know what maps are available for Australia? I've been using ride with gps and quite like it but if gaia has more info and detailed maps that would be useful.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun May 29, 2016 1:39 pm

Mapout is really very good. Low initial price and all free map downloads. Only available for iPad and iPhone, but the detail and the topographic detail is great.

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Sun May 29, 2016 2:18 pm

I'm using android. How does mapout compare to your garmin topo maps?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun May 29, 2016 2:56 pm

The Garmin Topo Australia map has a fairly good level of detail, together with contour details at closer zoom levels. However the Mapout app is excellent, much better with great topo contouring and shading. Much easier to scroll about and zoom in or out as well. However it is only on my iPad, and I use the Garmin to have a map on the handlebars, weather-proof, and low on the battery drain. I only get the iPad out to look at Mapout in camp, or maybe at lunch-stops. If I had an iPhone, I would not want it travelling on my handlebars as it is too prone to rain, vibration, or impact damage, and will run down the battery in quick order. Also I think the Garmin has a better screen for viewing in sunlight.
Mandatory helmet law?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun May 29, 2016 3:15 pm

Just to give you some idea of the topo image quality from Mapout, here are some views that I have photographed off the iPad screen.

Yarra Valley

Mt Donna Buang
Mandatory helmet law?

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Sun May 29, 2016 3:51 pm

It looks really good. But no android :(

Looking at Gaia it seems like you can only save a similar amount as you can in google maps. From memory this is not enough for a full days riding whereas the Garmin you have the whole map and can zoom in and out to whatever level of detail or distance is needed. Maybe Andrew can report back assuming he has the app.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon May 30, 2016 7:30 pm

Leaf T wrote: Maybe Andrew can report back assuming he has the app.
Only played with the website interface; have gone back to http://ridewithgps.com.