Why a follow me drone would be great to have...

RonK

Why a follow me drone would be great to have...

Postby RonK » Wed May 25, 2016 9:22 pm

With a drone with follow me capability such as the Vantage Robotics Snap, you could capture tour clips like this...

Old Ghost Road, New Zealand
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

rifraf

Re: Why a follow me drone would be great to have...

Postby rifraf » Fri May 27, 2016 11:26 pm

Not sure if any of the info in this ebook might be of interest to you RonK

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/249979

I've not read it personally but stumbled on this thread only a short while after spotting the link.
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Sat May 28, 2016 11:24 am

Wow gorgeous location. Looking at those switchbacks at min 1:20 I'm thinking a parachute is more desiarble.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat May 28, 2016 11:48 am

rifraf wrote:Not sure if any of the info in this ebook might be of interest to you RonK

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/249979

I've not read it personally but stumbled on this thread only a short while after spotting the link.
Yeah, I saw your first post - and wondered if you had seen this one.
At a glance t's a basic but useful book. Haven't read the detail yet.

So, the ride in the video is in your old stamping grounds, so maybe if you strip all the excess of the Ogre we could go over there and take it on. :lol: :lol: :lol:

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat May 28, 2016 11:49 am

Leaf T wrote:Wow gorgeous location. Looking at those switchbacks at min 1:20 I'm thinking a parachute is more desiarble.
Yeah - when I first saw it I thought - "now that's what I call mountain biking".

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:07 am

In the original post I mentioned the Vantage Robotics Snap, an interesting flying camera currently under development.

Soon after I saw a video teaser about Hover Camera Passport - another flying camera similar in concept.

And whist the release of the Snap has been delayed several times and is now some months overdue, Hover Camera went on sale yesterday.

Hover Camera is not as technically advanced as Snap, in that it doesn't have a gimbal mount for the camera, relying instead on electronic image stabilisation. And it's flight time is only 10 minutes, half that of the Snap.

But it folds into a very compact bundle about the size of a VHS video cassette, comes with a load of nice accessories including a carry case and what looks like two batteries, and should be easy to carry on the bike.

Best of all, it is significantly cheaper.

Now, if the batteries can be charged by my dynamo setup, this is going to tempt me sorely.

Hover Camera Passport.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:42 pm

Two more drones about to be released are the GoPro Karma and the DJI Mavic.

From the cycle touring perspective, the Karma is not of much interest - it is quite large and it has no camera - you need a GoPro camera as well.

Here is a handy comparator. GoPro Karma vs DJI Mavic

The Mavic looks very impressive. Although it does not have the protected rotors of the Snap and Hover Camera, and is not as compact, it is by far the most technologically advanced with up to 27 minutes of flight time and of course it is from DJI, one of the leading drone manufacturers.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:47 pm

The allure of the DJI Mavic Pro was just too much, particularly once I saw the deal on Massdrop - a lower price even than the Vantage Robotics Snap at $USD910 including US shipping. That is $100's less than the local price 0f $AUD1699.99

The Massdrop has only one day left to run and you will have to use a forwarding agent as the drop doesn't ship to Oz, so if you want one you'd better get cracking.

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:10 pm

Hope drones would be banned in the bush! Went out rock climbing a couple of weekends ago, enjoying the vista sitting on the first belay ledge when I heard then saw my first drone as it came over and flew around for what felt like an eternity. Flew over a few more times later that day too.

Why does society need to film and Instagram / Facebook everything? There was the intrusion including noise pollution plus flying around cliffs when it is nesting season.

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:45 am

You were climbing during nesting season? :shock:

The reality is that drones are being used more and more by ornithologists to observe bird nestings and are considered less intrusive than direct observation.

And this utility extends to the study of many other forms of wildlife.

So there are quite legitimate reasons for drones to be operating in the bush. Their presence may be at least as legitimate as yours. Worth considering before jumping to conclusions.

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:13 am

Mt Arapiles is a 3 1/2 km long cliff line and we had confirmed that we weren't climbing near any of the nesting sites.

Guarantee they drones weren't being used by ornithologists - they were filming the slack liners who had rigged a 200m+ slack line from the Pharos buttress to Watchtower face.

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:11 pm

Haha - you must be kidding expecting quiet at Arapiles. :lol: It's probably the most heavily visited park in Victoria. It's a wonder there wasn't a queue at the belay. Or was there?

I do agree these things should be used with due consideration and that is certainly not how I would use one.

But get used to it because there are plenty of climbers that want to record their activities.

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:32 pm

I understand the reasons for their use and do enjoy the results of footage from drones. Just hadn't experienced how loud they actually are and felt like a real intrusion in the moment. This was my first trip away climbing since my wife's passing early August and I was in a melancholy mood whilst having the belay ledge to myself as I belayed my climbing partner up when the drone first flew over.

I had no issues with others around as you say it is expected for Arapiles especially on a long weekend. I enjoyed watching other climbers and the slack liners who had set up a shorter line above us from the back of the Pharos to the main cliff. The drone just grated.

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:36 pm

RonK wrote:But get used to it because there are plenty of climbers that want to record their activities.
I did do some initial investigating into frequency jammers on returning from that weekend. :twisted:

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:07 pm

dalai47 wrote:
RonK wrote:But get used to it because there are plenty of climbers that want to record their activities.
I did do some initial investigating into frequency jammers on returning from that weekend. :twisted:
Won't happen our radios are a little more sophisticated than many realise then you have the FPV side of the frequency which also breaks up and hops.

Your right drones are becoming an issue but I think it's more of a case those using them have no understanding of CASA rules and again most wouldn't have the documentation backing up there insurance and written permission to fly in the areas they do. It's like all activities there is always cowboys/selfish folk out there that ruin it for others and in your case while rock climbing intruding into your enjoyment I can understand that.

I'm with Ron I would much prefer to see his tours from a drones point of view than a bunch of snaps it just adds to the enjoyment you get to see a whole different take on things in the right hands there a great tool.

Ricky

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:17 pm

Not quite as sleek as the others you mention Ron but not bad on the wallet and does pack down ok size wise plus free shipping.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... Drone.html

Ricky

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:45 pm

Commiserations and condolences. No doubt a time of emotional turmoil for you.

Time for a good loooooong bike ride perhaps.

There is something quite spiritual about being high on a mountain, as I was lucky enough to experience many times in Nepal.

We laid the spirit of a dear friend to rest up there.

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:20 pm

}SkOrPn--7 wrote:Not quite as sleek as the others you mention Ron but not bad on the wallet and does pack down ok size wise plus free shipping.

Ricky
Nah, cheap, but doesn't really cut it to take touring Ricky.

Weighs over 1.2 kgs. Case is fairly bulky. So probably difficult to carry on a touring bike.

Looks like the props have to be removed to pack it in the case, so not easy to make a quick clip. One thing I learned years ago is you won't take many pics if it becomes a hassle.

No mention of flight time but at that weight it won't be long. And no mention of charge time either

It would probably be quite reasonable to use around home but not on tour.

And as mentioned, I have already joined the Massdrop for the DJI Mavic Pro which closed today.

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:11 am

RonK wrote:
}SkOrPn--7 wrote:Not quite as sleek as the others you mention Ron but not bad on the wallet and does pack down ok size wise plus free shipping.

Ricky
Nah, cheap, but doesn't really cut it to take touring Ricky.

Weighs over 1.2 kgs. Case is fairly bulky. So probably difficult to carry on a touring bike.

Looks like the props have to be removed to pack it in the case, so not easy to make a quick clip. One thing I learned years ago is you won't take many pics if it becomes a hassle.

No mention of flight time but at that weight it won't be long. And no mention of charge time either

It would probably be quite reasonable to use around home but not on tour.

And as mentioned, I have already joined the Massdrop for the DJI Mavic Pro which closed today.
Fair enough just happened to be there when I remembered this thread and thought I would see if they had any follow me drones. I was surprised to see it there then surprised to see how many purchased it. How much is the DJI at this point on MD? Look forward to your thoughts on these if you get one I have never delved into follow me drones there an interesting concept.

Ricky

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:48 am

http://www.bordermail.com.au/story/4236 ... tly/?cs=11
FLYING a drone in Mount Buffalo National Park has cost a visitor $777.

The man has been fined that amount for launching and landing an aircraft without a permit.
Operating a drone in Mount Buffalo National Park can prove expensive.

Operating a drone in Mount Buffalo National Park can prove expensive.

Parks Victoria said it was the first time somebody had been penalised for illegal use of a drone at Mount Buffalo.

The incident occurred in August when the tourist from Wallan was also caught driving along a seasonally closed road.

He was fined $777 for that offence.

Although drones are a relatively recent phenomenon, the offence breached by the man dates back to 1975 when the National Parks Act set out rules governing aircraft use in such areas.

Parks Victoria said a permit could be sought to use a drone in a reserve but they must be in writing and meet insurance requirements.

The cost of the permit depends on the intended use of the drone.

Evidence of insurance for contractors may be high as $20 million, the parks’ administrator said

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:03 am

Yes, those are the rules -Ricky has already mentioned them.

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:18 pm

Given Parks in Victoria are understaffed, surprised they were found!

Probably only booked for the drone as they drove on a seasonally closed road.

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:06 pm

Yeah, thought that myself. Did the wrong thing all round, attracted attention and then got the book thrown at him.

But wouldn't there be a regular ranger presence at a popular park like Arapiles?

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:55 pm

Only saw the ranger in the morning to check that camp fees were paid. Whether they follow the letter of the law in regards to drones would probably depend on the individual ranger?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:03 pm

Andrew