Surly vs Soma vs Salsa

RonK

Re: Surly vs Soma vs Salsa

Postby RonK » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:07 pm

Looks fantastic. I like the colour even more now the bike is built up.

Are you going to fit mudguards?
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

uad782

Postby uad782 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:57 pm

Thanks Ron

I have never really used mud guards other than the small marsh guards on the front wheels. However, I like the look of the mud huggers you were getting. Did you get them? I note they weren't on for the recent tour.

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:52 pm

uad782 wrote:Thanks Ron

I have never really used mud guards other than the small marsh guards on the front wheels. However, I like the look of the mud huggers you were getting. Did you get them? I note they weren't on for the recent tour.
Yes, I did get them. I don't really need them around home, but will put them on for my visit to New Zealand.

uad782

Postby uad782 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:29 pm

I needed them today. Did a tough 60 km wet ride through Nymboi Binderay Nat park. Bike is a mess.

Only other comment is they are bloody expensive but they seem to be the rolls Royce of mud guards.

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:32 am

Well, I dunno about the Rolls-Royce of mudguards, but most MTB mudguards are ugly and fussy. The Mud Huggers were the least offensive I could find and should be very durable.

If you want classy, then you should look at Gilles Berthoud Stainless Fenders, available in 700c X 60mm. They would look fantastic on your bike. I have used similar stainless steel guards from Velo Orange, but they don't have them in wide sizes for 700C

And if you want the Rolls-Royce of mudguards, you would have to look at Honjo-Koken hammered guards. I have them on my touring bike. But they are aluminium so not as robust as the stainless steel guards.

uad782

Postby uad782 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:55 pm

Wouldn't I be a laughing stock putting those nice French fenders when riding the Heaphy and Old Ghost Road!

Mind you they do look good

I also note that most Tour Divide bikes don't have mud guards. I assume with bikepacking all the bags act as mud guards.

uad782

Postby uad782 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:02 pm

If anyone is interested I took the Marrakesh for it first real test ride this morning. It seems to ride really smoothly but not as fast as I hoped. I didn't have a speedo but I didn't break any PB's on Strava which have all been done on an MTB (as I have no road bikes).

So far the only complaint is the GP3 grips. I had a numb hand after 15 minutes of riding. I will give them one more go and change their angle. As all my bikes have flat bars I don't think the bars would be contributing. Looks like RonK was correct!

The TRP Spyke brakes work very well. I need to use more than the one finger I can use with my XT hydraulic brakes though.

uad782

Postby uad782 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:15 pm

Hi Everyone,

Photos of Salsa low deck rack on my Marrakesh.

If you buy a a Salsa rack they seem to come with all the correct mounting bolts so you don't need to get the Alternator mounting kit as well.

Photos shows a front Ortleib pannier and my Revelate handlebar bag.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:24 pm

First trip is gonna be good. :)

uad782

Postby uad782 » Sun May 21, 2017 6:35 pm

Just thought I'd let everyone know I just spent two weeks touring in NZ. Cycled from Lyell over the Old Ghost Rd and on to Heaphy Track. From there rode back to Nelson.

Did it on the Salsa Marrakesh with Revelate bag on front and two rear panniers. Some of the OGR was a bit tough with no suspension but overall everything worked really well. I had no mechanical problems. If I did this ride again I would install front suspension but I still prefer panniers to carrying a backpack. I should really convert to bikepacking like RonK.

I had no flat tyres with the Marathon Mondials running with tubes. There were a few times I though uh oh here comes a pinch flat but it never eventuated.

Only minor complaint is having to continually adjust the cable pull disc brakes.