Big new tour, big new build

ISDY

Big new tour, big new build

Postby ISDY » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:27 pm

Hi bike forum - long-time reader, first-time poster,

I'm planning a bike tour for March 2018 from the Canadian Arctic to the US/Mexico border and some extra.

I've been touring on a Surly Crosscheck with Rohloff for the past few years:

but 700s would be wildly inappropriate that far north. Consequently, I've just hit Checkout on a Ogre frame and another Rohloff.

Yes, two bikes; two Rohloffs. Being a single 27yo with a job, I have that sort of luxury. The same luxury that affords me the ability to drop everything and go touring for 9 months. What a time to be alive.

Anyway, I'll be sure to keep you up to date on the build as I accumulate components. I might buy Rohloffs, but I'm sure as hell not going to go to my local bougie bike shop.

Bless online German bike stores. Bless them forever.

Cardy George

Re: Big new tour, big new build

Postby Cardy George » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:20 pm

ISDY wrote:.........but 700s would be wildly inappropriate that far north.......
Are you considering Fat Tyres then? Like proper 4+ inches fat? I'm assuming touring = speed not critical so the benefits in the north would be significant. And there are plenty of faster/smoother tyre options when you get down south. If you can get on one you'll be surprised at how versatile they are. I've got a cheap FBSO with nasty components and on nice days it's almost comparable to the roadie :shock:

tmac100

Postby tmac100 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:12 pm

Glad you are "planning"....

Just over 10 years ago I was also planning. Found out about Arvon Stacey in Tofield Alberta and read of fellows with his bicycles cycling from Tierra del Fuego, Chili to the North Shore of Alaska. That was enough for me. Arvone built my frame, facks, fork, and wheels: 48 spoke PW hubs with Rhyno-Lite rims. The front rack has gone thru several improvements but both racks are quite good and VERY strong. I have used this equipment on the Savannah Way (2006), Adelaide to Peterborough to Broken Hill to Wentworth to Sydney (2011) and, also Perth to Peterborough (2015). In July I will do Seisia to Cairns. It (the Arvon 1, as he also built a smaller one - called the Arvon2) is a sturdy, dependable touring bicycle.

Pic URL is: http://www.sandsmachine.com/a_arv_001.htm

Arvon has now retired but his "apprentice" Keith (in Edmonton) has taken over to some extent. My BB is a PW but RD and FD are Shimano. Most Australia tourers use traditional RDs, but on the Nullabore I met a couple of them using Rolhoff IGHs and they loved them.

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:14 am

I have a Thorn Raven Tour with Rohloff and 26" Rigida Andra wheels. I also have a Surly LHT with 700c wheels. I can't decide which one I prefer but the Surly feels faster than the Thorn. As much as I like the CSS surface on the Rigida(Ryde) rims I probably would have picked different rims had I known how heavy they are.

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:05 am

ISDY wrote:...700s would be wildly inappropriate that far north.
Why? There are plenty of tourists riding the Dalton, the Klondike and the Dempster on 700's and 29er's. Are you going somewhere even more rugged?
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

ISDY

Postby ISDY » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:10 am

Cardy George wrote:
ISDY wrote:.........but 700s would be wildly inappropriate that far north.......
Are you considering Fat Tyres then? Like proper 4+ inches fat? I'm assuming touring = speed not critical so the benefits in the north would be significant. And there are plenty of faster/smoother tyre options when you get down south.
I am considering going fairly wide - probably not fat inches but definitely fairly wide. Would definitely be switching tyres around Vancouver, maybe even rims if I'm feeling extravagant.
RonK wrote:
Why? There are plenty of tourists riding the Dalton, the Klondike and the Dempster on 700's and 29er's. Are you going somewhere even more rugged?
As far north as Tuktoyaktuk, I figure there could be pretty significant overnight dumps that would make the going tough before the plow comes through - do you reckon 700s with studded tyres could handle it?
Crosscheck w/Rohloff or Ogre w/ Rohloff depending mood.

Preparing for a tour from Canadian Arctic to US/Mexico border

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:27 am

ISDY wrote:
RonK wrote:
As far north as Tuktoyaktuk, I figure there could be pretty significant overnight dumps that would make the going tough before the plow comes through - do you reckon 700s with studded tyres could handle it?
Well - Cycling Dutch Girl did it on studded tyres although she did mention falling on the ice road.

But I think the all-weather road is open now, so the ride should be easier.

But if you are expecting snow when you are there then 29+ tyres may be better. Ah, but the Ogre is not a 29+

Trevtassie

Postby Trevtassie » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:52 pm

Met a guy riding from Prudehoe Bay to Miami, he was on 700s

BenGr

Postby BenGr » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:05 pm

40c tyres would do up to Inuvik (possibly smaller). Looks like the all weather road could be finished this year, so you're all good for that, but depending on start location your timing could be tricky as there's river crossings you either need to cross when frozen or completely thawed.

Do you actually want to experience the arctic during winter/spring or is that just when you have the time?

I wouldn't buy a new bike unless I was planning on taking heaps of gravel routes, such as taking the GDMBR through the lower 48.

ISDY

Postby ISDY » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:07 pm

BenGr wrote:40c tyres would do up to Inuvik (possibly smaller). Looks like the all weather road could be finished this year, so you're all good for that, but depending on start location your timing could be tricky as there's river crossings you either need to cross when frozen or completely thawed.

Do you actually want to experience the arctic during winter/spring or is that just when you have the time?

I wouldn't buy a new bike unless I was planning on taking heaps of gravel routes, such as taking the GDMBR through the lower 48.
Yeah, I think the all-weather road will be well and truly done by the time I'm there, and yeah I do want to see the arctic around that time of year. When I was touring in California a couple years ago I met a guy called Iohan (Bike Wanderer) - who has some very strong videos if you've got the time - and he just sold me on it. Said it was so beautiful.

To be honest, while I'm sure it's possible to do it on skinnier tyres, I'd like the option to be able to go off piste. Also, I've had the same bike since 2013 and just think I deserve a new ride.

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:31 pm

ISDY wrote:I've had the same bike since 2013 and just think I deserve a new ride.
Of course you do. I'm just surprised that (given your personal circumstances), you didn't choose something more tasty such as a titanium Jones rather than a garden variety Surly.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:19 pm

Both Jones and Surly are still factory built bikes.

I think the ogre will fit 26plus tyres.

kevth

Postby kevth » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:25 pm

How's your build coming along? I am thinking about upgrading my ogre w/ a rohloff soon. Where did you buy your rohloff from? Cheers,

ISDY

Postby ISDY » Fri May 19, 2017 11:12 pm

Well, the 2017 Ogre frames probably won't get to these shores - or indeed Europe - until around june/july and I'd quite like to be doing some snow touring in kosciuszko/alpine NP around that time.

Local bike store has an Ogre frameset in medium so I've coughed up the extra few hundred and gone to them. Because it's a medium frame and I'm probably closer to large, I'm going with the 29er tires.

Have ordered/received all my parts and we're looking something like the below:

Frames
Frame and fork: Surly Ogre
Headset: Chris king

Transmission
Bottom bracket shimano bb-un55, square taper
Crankset sugino xd2 500t crankset, 170mm
Chainring surly stainless 110 x 38, 5-bolt
Chain izumi 3/32"
Shifters rohloff

Brakes
Brakes Shimano Deore hydraulic disc
Adapters Shimano
Front rotor Shimano 180mm

Contact
Handlebars Jones Bar
Grips Dipell vintage light brown/tan
Stem Vivente stem, oversize, black, 110mm
Seatpost Aluminium, stock
Saddle Brooks Cambium
Pedals velo orange sabot

Wheels
Front hub Son 28 dynamo disc
Front rim stans flow
Rear hub Rohloff
Rear rim stans flow
Spokes champion, silver
Tyres Surly Extraterrestrial 29 x 2.5" TUbeless

Accessories
Bar bag Ortlieb Ultimate Pro E
Bar bag attachment Thorn accessory bar
USB charging sinewave reactor black
Front rack Surly Front Rack
Rear rack Surly Rear Rack

ISDY

Postby ISDY » Sun May 21, 2017 3:54 pm

kevth wrote:How's your build coming along? I am thinking about upgrading my ogre w/ a rohloff soon. Where did you buy your rohloff from? Cheers,
Hi there, didn't see the question.

My first Rohloff I got from starbike, but they're apparently no longer shipping to Australia. Shame because they were just about the cheapest I could find.

But this one I went to bikecomponents.de. Little more expensive - just under $1500 - but still a few hundred cheaper than anywhere legit in Australia.

ISDY

Postby ISDY » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:26 pm

Well here it is, and my god she's enormous. Regretting the white cadmium saddle but 50% off online was too good to pass up.

Having never properly ridden a mountain bike before, the 2.5ers just eat up unsealed surfaces. It really does open up routes that were previously inaccessible on my 28mm Marathons.

So now I officially have five figures worth of bikes. Feels good man.

I'm off in mid-July to take it for a couple of weeks in sup-alpine Victoria and Kosciuszko NP so will be able to give you a better impression afterwards.

brokenbus

Postby brokenbus » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:32 pm

Looks good ISDY. I have found the Extraterrestrials roll better on my Ogre than the 2.0 inch wide Marathon Mondials they replaced particularly on gravel. I have some 65mm wide mudguards on order and it will be interesting to see is I can fit them over 2.5 tyres. I managed to get 53mm mudguards over 2.0 tyres so hopefully it should work okay. I will post the results for anyone who is interested in fitting guards with this tyre bike combo

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:29 pm

Can you fit 80mm guards in your frame?

Garde-Boue 28" Chrome 80mm.

brokenbus

Postby brokenbus » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:00 pm

RonK wrote:Can you fit 80mm guards in your frame?

Not quite but they probably could be shaped to go around seat and chain stays if the 65mm guards don't work out.
Thanks for the link Ron
Nick

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:02 pm

ISDY wrote:
kevth wrote:How's your build coming along? I am thinking about upgrading my ogre w/ a rohloff soon. Where did you buy your rohloff from? Cheers,
Hi there, didn't see the question.

My first Rohloff I got from starbike, but they're apparently no longer shipping to Australia. Shame because they were just about the cheapest I could find.

But this one I went to bikecomponents.de. Little more expensive - just under $1500 - but still a few hundred cheaper than anywhere legit in Australia.
I suspect that shops shipping to Aussie get told off by Rohloff after receiving complaints from local dealers.
I'd encourage you to keep returning and checking sites in Europe as many return to shipping after a spell of refusing when perhaps things have quietened down.
Perhaps its wisest not to mention particular sites, but I've recently received an order of Rohloff bits from a site previously mentioned in another thread not long ago for refusing orders to Aussie.

Good luck
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:14 pm

ISDY wrote:
Well here it is, and my god she's enormous. Regretting the white cadmium saddle but 50% off online was too good to pass up.

Having never properly ridden a mountain bike before, the 2.5ers just eat up unsealed surfaces. It really does open up routes that were previously inaccessible on my 28mm Marathons.

So now I officially have five figures worth of bikes. Feels good man.

I'm off in mid-July to take it for a couple of weeks in sup-alpine Victoria and Kosciuszko NP so will be able to give you a better impression afterwards.
Looks good.
I don't think the saddle colour fails to compliment the bike.
Many Cadmium owners report their saddles quickly lose their colour anyway.

I recently added a cog with more teeth to my Ogres Rohloff, as well as the new version carrier.
I recommend the new carrier conversion, due to it being much easier to then change the cog for any reason you might wish.
You only then require a screwdriver to prise off the o-ring retainer and the sprocket (cog) and its done.
No need for a chain whip and Rohloff sprocket tool as per the old version.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:20 pm

brokenbus wrote:
RonK wrote:Can you fit 80mm guards in your frame?

Not quite but they probably could be shaped to go around seat and chain stays if the 65mm guards don't work out.
Thanks for the link Ron
Nick
Not sure if it helps at all but I think my Gilles Berthoud polished mudguards are 60mm.
At a pinch they will do my 2.35 Big Apples but not the 2.30 knobblies currently fitted.