Yuba: Which Shimano Disc Mounts

icicic

Yuba: Which Shimano Disc Mounts

Postby icicic » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:10 pm

Hi all,

I'm picking up a Yuba Mundo V4 on Thursday. I have a Deore XT BR-M8000 brake set arriving soon and I'm buying some XT-Saint RT86 Ice-Tech 6-Bolt Disc Rotors discs shortly but I'm on a website and don't know which of these mounts I need.

So I'm hoping someone can help me out here. Do I need the

Shimano Mount Adaptor Rear Post to IS,
Shimano Mount Adaptor Rear Post to Flat Road,
Shimano Mount Adaptor Front Post to Post or
Shimano something else?

Thanks,

Rik

RonK

Re: Yuba: Which Shimano Disc Mounts

Postby RonK » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:04 pm

icicic wrote:I'm on a website and don't know which of these mounts I need.
Neither will anyone else unless you state which mounts the Yuba has and what diameter rotors you plan to use.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

avolve

Postby avolve » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:10 pm

I have a Yuba with disc brakes (v4 if I recall correctly) and will take a look when I get home...

icicic

Postby icicic » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:02 pm

avolve wrote:I have a Yuba with disc brakes (v4 if I recall correctly) and will take a look when I get home...

Thanks evolve, that'd be great.

RonK wrote:Neither will anyone else unless you state which mounts the Yuba has and what diameter rotors you plan to use
Thanks anyway RonK

but unfortunately, the only vaguely relevant mention of Yuba mounts on their Specs sheet, is the mention of "Disc Tabs" and no sizing is given.

"Frame: Mundo Steel w/Disc Tabs
Fork: Mundo V4 Cr-Mo 1-1/8” Threaded w/Disc Tabs"

<http://yubabikes.com/wp-content/uploads ... -Specs.pdf>

So I've sent an enquiry but it's night time there so they haven't replied and meanwhile I have posted in advance of that information, in case these are a standard sized thing (which for all I know they might be, given that I'm new to disc brakes with only a few hours reading on them).

I know that they need to be Shimano Mount Adaptors (because Shimano, Mounting, and Adaptors) and I know that one will be Front and one will be Rear and I know that the front one will be 180mm to match the 180mm rotor and the rear will be 203mm to match the 203mm rotor.

The bit that throws me is the Post to IS, Post to Flat Road, Post to Post bit of the descriptions.

Shimano Mount Adaptor Rear Post to IS
Shimano Mount Adaptor Rear Post to Flat Road,
Shimano Mount Adaptor Front Post to Post

On one site I found "Shimano SM-MA90-R160-PS Disc Brake Mount Adapter - 160mm" (which won't do because 160) but while the rest appears simple, I don't yet know if that is an actual fact or mere appearance.

If you're able to help, then thank you, and if unable to help, thanks anyway.

icicic

Postby icicic » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:03 pm

PS avolve
I corrected the auto correct on your name twice. Apologies for not noticing that the ghost in the machine had screwed with it again.

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:22 pm

So Yuba say the fork has disc tabs, not posts - that implies an IS mount is used. The M8000 caliper is post mount, so you will need an Post to IS adaptor appropriate to the diameter of the disc.

I expect the rear will also have an IS mount, so again, you will need an Post to IS adaptor appropriate to the diameter of the disc.

I think this one (in 180mm) will work for the front. Shimano Mount Adaptor Front Post to IS

And this one will work for the back. Shimano Mount Adaptor Rear Post to IS 203mm

Ask Duck to verify.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

icicic

Postby icicic » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:00 pm

RonK wrote:So Yuba say the fork has disc tabs, not posts - that implies an IS mount is used. The M8000 caliper is post mount, so you will need an Post to IS adaptor appropriate to the diameter of the disc.

I expect the rear will also have an IS mount, so again, you will need an Post to IS adaptor appropriate to the diameter of the disc.

I think this one (in 180mm) will work for the front. Shimano Mount Adaptor Front Post to IS

And this one will work for the back. Shimano Mount Adaptor Rear Post to IS 203mm

Ask Duck to verify.
Thanks RonK

And I will do

icicic

Postby icicic » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:01 pm

Just as soon as I work out how to ask Duck
:?:

icicic

Postby icicic » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:23 pm

Done.

avolve

Postby avolve » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:26 pm

My stock Mundo has Tektro IO mechanical disc brakes, as shown in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hsvyk9Yu4r4

icicic

Postby icicic » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:54 pm

Thanks avolve

SmellyTofu
Location: Obviously not on the bike when I'm online in Sydney

Postby SmellyTofu » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:04 am

I'm in the process of moving to hydro Deore disc setup on my new-to-me Mundo 4.1. I've got some 160mm IS adaptor out of my spare parts bin but when I've fitted them on the rear (fronts to come as I found out the front fork is weak using any decent sized brake rotors) the 160mm rotors on the back is covered by a tiny bit of the brake pads. Was I supposed to go up to a 180mm rotor using a 160mm IS to post adaptor?

Starting to get a bit frustrated with the quirks of this bike to the point where I wish I forked up $3k for a new one.

Warin

Postby Warin » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:29 pm

SmellyTofu wrote:Starting to get a bit frustrated with the quirks of this bike
Normal - usual IS differences between front and rear mounts. Best to do some reading about it..

"A flaw in this design is that the distance from the center of the disc (the hub axle) to the caliper mount is different on the front and back brakes - meaning you need to have two unique calipers or adapters for the front and rear brakes (assuming the use of the same size rotor)."

https://www.bikeman.com/bicycle-repair- ... post-mount

icicic

Postby icicic » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:06 pm

SmellyTofu wrote:I'm in the process of moving to hydro Deore disc setup on my new-to-me Mundo 4.1. I've got some 160mm IS adaptor out of my spare parts bin but when I've fitted them on the rear (fronts to come as I found out the front fork is weak using any decent sized brake rotors) the 160mm rotors on the back is covered by a tiny bit of the brake pads. Was I supposed to go up to a 180mm rotor using a 160mm IS to post adaptor?

Starting to get a bit frustrated with the quirks of this bike to the point where I wish I forked up $3k for a new one.
The quirks are not charming quirks, are they SmellyTofu?

So how'd you go and what did you end up mounting, front and back? Any chance of pics?

SmellyTofu

Postby SmellyTofu » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:21 am

Don't have pics but on the front I've got a regular Shimano IS to post 160mm to go on 160mm rotors with Shimano M395 hydraulics.

Rear were rear 160 IS to Post mounts but as they appear to have another 10mm to go so I've got 180mm rotors to go with the same Shimano M395 hydraulics brakes on order.

Interestingly the brakes that I bought came with 160 to 180 adaptors so I'll stack the brackets and see if the 180 rotors fit the front, otherwise it's a 160F/180R setup.

I've had a lot of success with cheap end Shimano brakes on several bikes albeit they are all 203F&R but the initial bite and feel is well worth it. Also helps buying one type of pads to service any bike.

Also if it hasn't been mentioned to check the fork as there has been reports that the forks do fail with big front rotors. New ones appear to be fixed this issue. Got one on order now with all the bits to convert a threaded to thread less headset.

icicic

Postby icicic » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:55 pm

SmellyTofu wrote:
So how'd it go Smelly?

And have you seen this:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... =2&t=37560

SmellyTofu

Postby SmellyTofu » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:10 pm

I'm still waiting for 180mm rotors and other bits to move to a threadless fork from c r c as they've been a bit slow (tracking says it's in the country). I've got the replacement fork after reading the endless sphere thread which is definitely more rounder in nature than the bladed fork and I might move to 180mm F&R since I've got/will have the parts.

SmellyTofu

Postby SmellyTofu » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:01 pm

It's been slow progress unrelated to the brakes but firstly losing a c r c order with it finally arriving the 2nd time yesterday and now the fork I ordered somehow was cut by someone before being sent to me leaving me with 3mm or steerer tube to try putting a stem on which of course is impossible so another week lost before I can even start turning a pedal.

icicic

Postby icicic » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:32 pm

SmellyTofu wrote:It's been slow progress unrelated to the brakes but firstly losing a c r c order with it finally arriving the 2nd time yesterday and now the fork I ordered somehow was cut by someone before being sent to me leaving me with 3mm or steerer tube to try putting a stem on which of course is impossible so another week lost before I can even start turning a pedal.

Bugger!

Well better luck to you this time.

SmellyTofu

Postby SmellyTofu » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:36 pm

So finally done with the full rebuild. Front brakes used the regular 180mm front adaptor for the 180 rotors and rears I used the front 160mm IS to Post adaptors to have the 180mm rotors. Wipe area is 100% correct so I'm very happy with the results and I can finally get some rapid deceleration happening.

I could have gone 203mm but for now, I'll bed the brakes in and see how goes. Upgraditus has been abated for now.

icicic

Postby icicic » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:43 pm

Good on you SmellyTofu.

My brake upgrade is still in limbo, with my brake kits still in the box (and some yet to be ordered) but you've inspired me with this news, so maybe I'll get there a little sooner.