Looking for a new(er) tourinig bicycle

V2rocketeer

Looking for a new(er) tourinig bicycle

Postby V2rocketeer » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:07 am

I'm in the market for a new touring bike. I have to admit that a majority of my riding is for exercise, trips to the shops, and commuting which is all 99% bitumen and in some places very hilly. But I dream of the longer self supported trips in and out of the paved roads. I've been looking at the Surly LHT /disc,Troll,Ogre, Trek 520 (Impossible to find), VWR, Bombtrack Beyond, and Wayward's Cape York. I currently ride a 1991 Giant Expedition in a frame size that is slightly small for me. I've done over 20K K's (probably over 30 but I'm being conservative) on this bike and rebuilt her twice. I'm thinking of getting a whole new bike this time and passing the Giant on to my Daughter. I run rear panniers for work clothes and the trips to the shops. I'm in Sydney and wouldn't mind purchasing a lightly used model but that is for another thread. I've been off riding for the last 3 or 4 years and only back into it for a month or so. I'm up to 20 to 25K's a day now but not as fit nor as young as I used to be. This post should probably be in the commuting area but like I said I'm dreaming of the big tours. I usually ride a 58cm road frame and I'm 181.5 cms tall, inseam with shoes is 85cm, wingspan 190cm (Ape I know) and 100kgs. Ok so that should give you an idea of me and what I'm looking to do. So far I've been leaning to the VWR Patagonia. I like the TRP Hydro brakes and the simplicity of the bar ends but I realize that I ride in a lot of traffic and have never used bar end shifters before,, nor have I done much city riding with drop bars,, always with MTB bars and rapid fire shifters. I'm wondering if they (bar ends) would be problematic in the city? I see that VWR do come in a trekking bar/MTB option but then it looks like Vivente chose to use Shimano M395 brakes which at least from my understanding is a very budget orientated system well below Deore. I've never used Disc brakes so I don't have any experience but I've always thought to draw the line at Deore componentry and not go lower on a decent bike.
Surly seems nice. I looked at a 58cm Disc trucker 700c and it looked the goods. Not sure on the on the microshift bar ends when compared to the Dura Ace on the VWR or the BB7 brakeset but the frame geometry felt nice. I have yet to see a Bombtrack in person but spec wise they use a lot of X5 which is fairly lowend Sram for the cost of the bike. I went to Wayward's distribution center and had a look at one of their Cape Yorks. I can't find much feedback on them (Duh their fairly new) but I'm not sure about after sales support with no proper bike shop to assist. What's your thoughts? I'm sure there are some other city riders who want to use their touring bike for everyday work. Maybe I'm being exceptionally picky but given how many K's my old Giant has done I want to replace it with something at least as reliable and possibly get out on that big tour!!

Cheers
Bear

brumby33

Re: Looking for a new(er) tourinig bicycle

Postby brumby33 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:28 pm

Bang for buck even with new price of around $2695 i reckon its hard to go past the VWR's.
Occassionally you can find an older one on ebay for $1000-1300 like i did.
If i was to buy new, i'd probably stick with VWR.
I've got a 2013 model with front mech. Brake and rear canti but i would like the hydro brakes next time. Mine has the trekking bars but i'm thinking like you about the bar ends. The STi model Deccan still has the mechanical discs.
I reckon they're also a fantastic commuter.

Good luck on whatever you should buy.

Cheers

Brumby33
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR -2013

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:03 pm

The VWR Patagonia is a fine bike which is built with bits will outlive many of the other brands off the rack specs.
Cheeky Monkey in Sydney is worth a visit for a chat around Vivente options.
I'm wondering if they (bar ends) would be problematic in the city?

Nope, in fact they work well as you can shove shift multi gears with one flick as opposed to brifters click, change, click, change. Good in the CBD when you slow to a stop or wish to find that big gear quick. I also tend to think all brakes, cantis, caliper, disc and mini Vs just work better with dedicated levers.

V2rocketeer

Postby V2rocketeer » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:29 pm

Thanks for the replys. I think Cheeky just does Bombtrack now. I was at Omafiets just down the road when looking at the VWR. They were very friendly.

Bear

robbo mcs

Postby robbo mcs » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:08 pm

With regards to dropbars vs flatbar for commuting.

I have a VWR dropbar (rohloff). You have to remember that the geometry of these bikes is set up for touring, not racing :wink: The geometry is different from your average dropbar bike. The bars are typically positioned much higher, so you sit much more upright, with good visibility of the road around you, especially when on the hoods. Of course you can adjust this to some degree, but naturally they sit quite high, so a good position for commuting

I am sure omafiets would let you take one with bar end shifters for a test ride, so you can try that out. Otherwise as mentioned the vwr deccan is an option as it has sti brifters, but only the mechanical discs.

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:03 pm

Sorry by "Vivente options" I should have said other bikes which are like VWR. Pretty sure cheeky would build up any sort of Surly or Salsa you would like. Buying a frame and doing your own build specs is always a good way to get high bike satisfaction and therefore a bike you like and so, an extra long life out of it as you tend to spec up in parts and then find it hard to justify the next upgrade until a part wears out, but cant say it is ever looks like a cheaper option in the short term. Long term, this has always been very much a yes (cheaper) for me even when you put down big $$ for that fancy hub or headset or bottom bracket or......
And yes Omafiets are also a good start.

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:47 pm

Another bike to consider is Fuji Touring, back 10 yrs ago they came with deore gearing with Tiagra STi's but now come with bar end only. I had one back in 2005....lovely bike.
Another brand to look at is Soma
Nice frame work.
But i still think VWR is the antz pantz

Cheers

Brumby33

VWR -2013

V2rocketeer

Postby V2rocketeer » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:50 am

HI Brumby

I was looking at the Fuji's originally but after reading heaps online it seems the quality has really suffered lately. I know that people tend to post their problems more than their likes but it does tend to sway one from being interested when one reads about broken frames and buckled wheels lol. Thank you for your replies.. I will have a look at the Somas,, I wonder if there is a LBS in Sydney with Soma.

Cheers

Bear

brumby33 wrote:Another bike to consider is Fuji Touring, back 10 yrs ago they came with deore gearing with Tiagra STi's but now come with bar end only. I had one back in 2005....lovely bike.
Another brand to look at is Soma
Nice frame work.
But i still think VWR is the antz pantz

Cheers

Brumby33

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:18 am

I don't know about any Sydney dealers but Bernie from Metro Cycles in Newcastle has them and he has one as his personal ride....he loves them.
He is also Newcastle's Vivente & Surly dealer...thats how i know them...might be worth a day trip up there.

Cheers

Brumby33

VWR -2013

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:41 am

Umm, if you are thinking a commuter that can also do bikepacking well...
http://www.ambmag.com.au/news/soma-wolv ... iew-429307

V2rocketeer

Postby V2rocketeer » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:39 am

Lots of choices !!!

Does anyone know if the VWR with Standard Shimano gears has the same rear hub space as the VWR that uses the Rohloff? Rohloff is just out of my price range new but maybe used down the road so to speak

Bear

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:05 am

The guys down at Omafiets should be able to answer that.

VWR -2013

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:07 am

It will be the same. Most likely 135mm.

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:20 pm

Hub should be fine at 135mm but it is getting the belt or chain tight that would be the issue. Not sure if all the frames have a ebb or it is just the ones that come off the floor with a Rohloff, again a question for Omafiets but don't forget you will also need new shifters that talk Rohloff and cables and a rear wheel rebuilt and...
Maybe best to put the bigger $$ down and get one first up as this would be cheaper in the long term.

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:25 pm

If you have technical questions about VWR it's best to contact Noel McFarlane of Vivente directly.

Noel is very helpful - one of the strong reasons for buying Vivente in the first place.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

V2rocketeer

Postby V2rocketeer » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:42 pm

RonK wrote:If you have technical questions about VWR it's best to contact Noel McFarlane of Vivente directly.

Noel is very helpful - one of the strong reasons for buying Vivente in the first place.

Good idea, I just sent an email from their page!!

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:56 pm

and an excuse if it was missed...
http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/pro ... ng/8380830
from
A celebration of 200 years of the bicycle
http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/pro ... le/8380740

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:08 pm

baabaa wrote:and an excuse if it was missed...
http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/pro ... ng/8380830
from
A celebration of 200 years of the bicycle
http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/pro ... le/8380740

Thanks for the link :D I love ABC but the Liebrals are doing their best to disembowel it and are sadly making ground.

Good luck with the bike hunting. From experience the Rohloff is a great bit of kit but not perfect. I love mine but mostly forget the pros when riding my derailleur bike.

VeloGiro

Postby VeloGiro » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:41 am

V2rocketeer wrote:Lots of choices !!!

Does anyone know if the VWR with Standard Shimano gears has the same rear hub space as the VWR that uses the Rohloff? Rohloff is just out of my price range new but maybe used down the road so to speak

Bear

Yep 135mm - I converted my VWR to a Rohloff hub a couple of years back - wrote a bit of a blog that captured the conversion. Have a bit of a read if your interested https://worldrandonneurconversion.wordpress.com/

I have just ordered a Trickstuff eccentric Bottom Bracket designed for a 46mm shell - http://www.trickstuff.de/en/products/exzentriker_KL.php It'll be interesting to see how this fares...

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:54 am

Let us know what you think of the BB when you can please Velo Giro.

V2rocketeer

Postby V2rocketeer » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:29 pm

Hi All,,

Just a follow up I ended up with a VWR Patagonia. I just picked her up today and rode for 30 k's just to check her out.. Lovely bike.

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:20 am

Nicely specced bike there V2. A new bike can be like falling in love again :wink:

VeloGiro

Postby VeloGiro » Tue May 02, 2017 9:48 am

Leaf T wrote:Let us know what you think of the BB when you can please Velo Giro.

No worries - I'll start a new thread in bike ans equipment t now...

Return to “Touring Bikes and Equipment”