The perfect tight arse cooking combo

Trevtassie

The perfect tight arse cooking combo

Postby Trevtassie » Sat May 20, 2017 8:35 pm

Ok, so I've been an MSR man for years. Mostly based on the cost of gas cartridges. Anyway, I decided for this trip to try gas, because Coleman fuel is reasonably exxie in Japan and comes in 2L cans so you end up lugging a heap around, and has cartridges are every where. So I bought a Kovea Spider stove off Ebay for 60 bucks delivered. It has a remote cylinder and a pre-heat tube so it can burn liquid gas, and it weighs 200g in the bag with a spark lighter.
Anyway, I found an adaptor for those disposable horizontal butane cartridges on ebay for $6 as well. The Kovea works really well with the $1.50 cans. When you want to get it really cranking you turn the can over so it feeds liquid gas. You can use a heat shield as well, because of the remote hose. You get about 3 days of hard use out of one can. Not bad value for $1.50 or $2 a can. And it can be pretty cold too because it'll liquid feed so the butane won't freeze.

Aushiker

Re: The perfect tight arse cooking combo

Postby Aushiker » Sun May 21, 2017 10:38 am

Looking forward to hearing how your setup works out (I think those Kovea stoves have a good rep no?) and the Japan trip goes.

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Sun May 21, 2017 11:11 am

Yeah i'm more interested in the Japan tour as its my no.1 place i wish to tour.
Been there 4 times with wife and love it...plan to live there for at least 12 months during the 20/ 20 Olympics.

Food is cheap over there if you limit meat and stick to Supermarkets...also A good bowl of Ramen noodles will cost around 7-8 bucks..gives heaps of carbs for the ride☺
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Sun May 21, 2017 1:02 pm

Ganbatte Brumby. Love my noodles too. If you haven't seen it an 80's film called Tampopo is very funny.

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Sun May 21, 2017 1:51 pm

Hai...Tampopo o mimashita...omoshiroi katta desu.
I was over there around the late 90's or early 2000's and done a week's tour from Kagoshima, Hiroshima, Kyoto, Nara & return to Tokyo, it was around that time the first lot of digital compact cameras were starting to come out and i went down to the film shop to get about 100 photos transferred onto a CD rom disc.....well i used perfectly understandable sign language pointing to the SD card & Cd rom disc similtanously but because i also used the word" sashin" which means photo in Japanese, I got 100 printed photos instead that cost nearly $200....the Mrs hit the roof .... :lol: :lol:
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun May 21, 2017 3:06 pm

Hard to beat the little Kovea Spider. I've just returned from NZ where I used mine nearly every day for a month.

Excellent simmer control - I only got my porridge stuck to the pot once, when I was distracted by the scenery and forgot to stir it.

The small diameter burner head worked really well with my tall skinny Vargo Bot.

And it is light enough and packs so small and flat that you could carry it in a shirt pocket.

Not to mention that a tall pot is very stable on the low trivet. And by inverting the canister even frosty temps didn't affect its performance.

I really don't care about the cost of canisters. The convenience, cleanliness and ease of use make them well worth the money to me.

Winner.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Trevtassie

Postby Trevtassie » Mon May 22, 2017 11:12 am

For 60 bucks they can't be beat... Complete with sparker and carry bag. Just had to buy my second cartridge today. 118 yen...
Top shelf gear at bottom shelf price.

Blakeylonger

Postby Blakeylonger » Mon May 22, 2017 11:40 am

Trevtassie wrote:Anyway, I found an adaptor for those disposable horizontal butane cartridges on ebay for $6 as well.
That adaptor is coming with me next time I visit Japan. You can get screw fitting cylinders easily enough at mont-bell or similar in a decent sized city or some campgrounds, but you can get the hairspray butane cylinders at pretty much any conbini or supermarket.

Trevtassie

Postby Trevtassie » Thu May 25, 2017 7:43 pm

I should start recording the canister performance. The one I got from Daiso was excellent, did 4 days or so. Got one from a supermarket branded Bombe, pure butane, 3 days will pull it up. Just bought an Iwatani one, should be top shelf, cost 165 yen.
I reckon I'll still use them in Australia for short bush walks.
Incidentally don't be put off by the small burner diameter on the Spider, it spreads the flame nicely, I've been cooking French Toast with it. Mind you, without all the sugar the Japanese put in their French toast.

V2rocketeer

Postby V2rocketeer » Mon May 29, 2017 12:08 pm

Where is the best place to buy one of these stoves I'm in Sydney

Bear

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon May 29, 2017 1:59 pm

eBay or Amazon

Warin

Postby Warin » Tue May 30, 2017 8:06 am

Getting to the transit time for the Gerry Harvey tax imposition ... you'll have to be quick to avoid it.

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue May 30, 2017 10:25 am

Warin wrote:Getting to the transit time for the Gerry Harvey tax imposition ... you'll have to be quick to avoid it.
Nope - it won't be happening this year after major online marketing sites (Amazon, eBay, Etsy, Alibaba) and other online merchants made submnissions to the Senate Economics Committee that they would not collect the GST and would block Australian customers from buying on their sites.

Trevtassie

Postby Trevtassie » Tue May 30, 2017 8:36 pm

EBay A$60 delivered. grab a butane adaptor too. The Iwatani looks to be top shelf. Cost an extra 60 yen but worth it.

Trevtassie

Postby Trevtassie » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:37 am

After 5 weeks of hard use, gotta say the stove is awesome. Only criticism is that maybe the trivet is a little slippery, but a 360 windshield would stop the pot sliding off the top if trying to stir porridge one handed.
Being able to burn liquid gas is a real bonus. There was a brand of cartridge called "Bombe" , dunno what was in it but it wasn't very volatile, had to run it liquid nearly from the start of the can. Mind you, it was only 86yen plus tax for 250g of gas....