Jones Plus build

RonK

Re: Jones Plus build

Postby RonK » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:42 pm

avolve wrote:
RonK wrote:Better put some of this on it...

Effeto Mariposo Shelter

I thought that was designed for carbon?

They say carbon or metal.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

slowtour

Postby slowtour » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:34 pm

Hi., just registered on the site after viewing for a while. I live in Hobart (currently travelling) and am looking also to purchase a Jones Plus. I have recently made an initial contact with the business in USA. How has the bike been for you after several months of ownership? Also if you have any more tips on how the purchase & shipping went I would love to hear any extra information you might have.

Cheers

Slowtour

avolve

Postby avolve » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:30 pm

slowtour wrote:Hi., just registered on the site after viewing for a while. I live in Hobart (currently travelling) and am looking also to purchase a Jones Plus. I have recently made an initial contact with the business in USA. How has the bike been for you after several months of ownership? Also if you have any more tips on how the purchase & shipping went I would love to hear any extra information you might have.

Cheers

Slowtour

I can’t overstate balance. It just feels good.

I am still tweeting a few things, and just raised the bars as high as they would go (were ~2 inch lower). Had a lot of fun on some local Single track last weekend. Small change feels so much better.

I am starting to really appreciate the h bars, not that I am more upright. I am looking at getting the just releases jones 2.5 h bar for my Pugsley based on these experiences.

As for postage, I am not sure it can be cheaper (unless you know someone flying over to bring it with them). Was shipped directly from Jones bikes (US$360). I have heard a few stories of people getting lucky and avoiding customs on framesets (from EU). I was not one of them. All up (including GST) was AU$500+. Had not factored that in to cost...

If you have the money, a great bike. I am lucky to be a similar size to Jeff J, and was able to draw on his experience re sizing and some components. Very happy with my going for a 40mm stem (temp one on whilst waiting for the Thompson.

Lean back seat post was a good choice too.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:04 pm

How do you find the truss fork. I would think it would be to stiff of on really rooty singetrack.

avolve

Postby avolve » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:17 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:How do you find the truss fork. I would think it would be to stiff of on really rooty singetrack.

On the rides so far, it feels quite supple. The smaller tube diameter and support for both tension and compression seems to work very well.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:14 pm

I thought the idea of the truss fork was to achieve more stiffness and lighter weight than a standard fork