Jones Plus build

avolve

Re: Jones Plus build

Postby avolve » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:35 pm

How are you mounting your rear (tubes?) rack?
rifraf wrote: Tell me, is there a way the front forks can utilise front panniers?
From what I have looked at (I am looking at selling my road tourer, and use my Plus with a different set of wheels for on road touring). The truss fork bags can hold quite a bit, though not the same as panniers

slowtour

Postby slowtour » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:17 pm

Not sure if you were asking me the question about racks, but I will put in a reply just in case...

The rear rack on my Jones Plus is a Tubus fat rack and there are plenty of mounting points near the rear axle so I can play around with mounting heights and position to get the ideal. The rack top mount is onto a Problem Solver Seat Post clamp. This fitting has the clamp and the rack mounts on the same fitting. Works rather well for me. I did have a Surly Rack which fitted perfectly but it is MUCH heavier and in a moment of weakness, I got the Tubus rack instead. I did write it down somewhere..I think it was just under 500g lighter.

With two gorilla cages on the front forks fitted with a couple of dry bags I don't think I will miss front panniers particularly. Except for the fact that I prefer the convenience of front panniers as they are faster to get off & on. Ok I will miss the front panniers just a bit, but I don't need extra space and the new set up is lighter and works well enough.

I consider my set up to be a hybrid Bikepacking/ Touring rig. And I don't mind which it is really, as long as it works for me. Which it does so far.

Cheers

avolve

Postby avolve » Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:28 pm

slowtour wrote:The rack top mount is onto a Problem Solver Seat Post clamp.
Thanks. I wanted to know if you were using one of these, or if you went for p-clamps. Did you need longer tubes round stays, or were the ones that came with the rack long enough?

slowtour

Postby slowtour » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:36 am

I must be getting old. I really can't remember whether I used the stays that came with the rack or some other Tubus ones I had on hand. Either way the ones I have on the Jones Plus are 240mm long and just the right length for where I place the rack. Any shorter and they would not be long enough.

While I am at it...I will mention that this rack is ever so slightly wrong for Ortlieb (Plus version mounted) and no matter how I move the lower mounting points, slightly too tight. But it works with a bit of faffing and a heave to get the bag on the rack each time. Irritating but not a deal breaker.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:06 am

Hehe - yes your memory must be playing up. That is not a Tubus Fat rack either. :wink:
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

slowtour

Postby slowtour » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:21 pm

Purchased from the web site Bike-components. It is a Tubus rack that fits Fat Bikes but yes the name isn't Fat Rack. The name they gave it was "New Expedition Toolbox Gepäckträger - Werkstattverpackung."

It is no longer on their website but the one below is the closest to what I actually purchased.

https://www.bike-components.de/en/tubus ... ng-p61279/