Shimano Sora Vs Deore Rapid fire shifters

brumby33

Shimano Sora Vs Deore Rapid fire shifters

Postby brumby33 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:38 pm

The reason I've began this thread is that sometime this year I'm looking at upgrading from my Vivente which has the Humpert Horn trekking bars and Deore rapid fire shifters but the newer equivelent of the Vivente to mine is the Anatolla with similar set up.
My 2013 VWR has the Deore shifters with the Humpert trekking bar set up but the 2017 has the Sora set of shifters rather than Deore.
Are the Sora much of a down grade from Deore or pretty much the same. I always thought they were more a base line set....or....is this because Deore are now more for a 10 speed cassette rather than 9 speed as is with my 2013 model?
I'm also asking this as I'm still undecided to stick with the Trekking bar set up and go with the traditional drop bars with Dura-ace bar end shifters.

The only reason for my wanting to upgrade is that the newer 2017 models have the Hydraulic disc brakes. higher steering stem, better front dyno plus USB able AXA light system. The Deccan has the drop bar & STi brifter set up but they can't be married to a hydraulic brake set so they have mech. discs at both ends.
I like the Hydraulic set ups because they are self adjusting and both pads move in to the both sides of the disc rather than only one side moving in and they often need adjusting.
My 2013 VWR has front mech. disc at front, canti at the back, shorter fork stem which still has me placing too much weight on my hands on the trekking bars. The AXA70 light system I can fit and use with my present Shimano XT dyno hub.

Cheers

brumby33
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

Trevtassie

Re: Shimano Sora Vs Deore Rapid fire shifters

Postby Trevtassie » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:36 pm

Don't use the USB output of the Axa 70 in your calculations. The output is barely worth using. Better off getting one of the aftermarket add on USB chargers.
The Vivente site says the bike has Deore shifters for the Anatolia?
I know what you mean about mechanical discs, they aren't the best when you are carrying heavy loads, so much adjusting. Thought about swapping the front to hyraulic and getting a stem extender. Or another though, something like the VO crazy bars or Jones bars. They pull your arms back towards your body.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:22 pm

Hi brumby33, not sure if I can help but mine is a 2012 model and came with these bars.....

I don't mind the shifters and so went about altering an old set of drop bars by adding some section of a second set, and welding them into place. Then the existing shifters went on as if nothing had happened.

I know it looks as though I have trifled with mother nature, but it was the cheapest alternative for me. I used the soft rubber to coat the parts that needed it and left a couple of spots as cool hand positions.
No less real estate than previously and a much narrower set up for traffic driving. To me they are very comfortable in use and I like to get into the drops occasionally.
A friend did the welding expertly and for free, so all up I only paid for a couple of sets of second hand ally bars a total of $20-00. :)

Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

iacl

Postby iacl » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:35 pm

Can't comment on Sora vs Deore shifters. But I have played around with some of the other issues you mentioned.

I have upgraded my 2012 trekking bar to a humpert bar. Now seriously contemplating a Jones H Bar for the near future.

I've gone through V brakes, cable discs and am currently very happy with a SLX hydraulic brake up front. Lite to use with tired hands and works great under load.

For USB I use a Sinewave revolution fed from the original XT hub, with good effect. I've swapped out the original lumotech light for a Cyo T premium senso plus which has the same ? better out put than the AXA.

Will be upgrading the front hub to SP shortly, and am looking at the XT T8000 groupset when it's available.

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:54 pm

Well I've had a real bikey drive/ ride around today in Sydney on my day off, somewhat quite productive but still undecided on model but I've decided I want to go back to drop bars again rather than the Humpert trekking bars on my current Vivente.
I went to Omafiets in Redfern who are the main Sydney Vivente dealer and I was able to test ride 3 different models. The Patagonia which has the hydraulic brakes and bar ends, I felt this bike was really nice to ride, I had no issues with using the bar ends as I expected i might but they weren't difficult at all to use, in fact they were fairly precise and quick to change, the brakes as expected were really good.....this bike is a serious contender for my upgrade, then I rode the Deccan with the drop bars and STi's, these had dual caliper mechanical disc brakes and also felt really good, they both squeezed equally onto both sides of the disc unlike the earlier models that only came in on 1 side.....another serious contender and I found it hard to decide between which I like better between the 2 but the STi's have nudged it up n front for consideration.
Jeez It was good to ride a drop bar bike again after the Fuji Touring I had over 11 years ago with STi's, they are so easy to use. I felt the cornering with drop bars to be easier and more natural feel compared to my trekking bars.

I then had a ride of the Rolhoff version of the Deccan and I hated it.....I've got issues with taking my hands off the bar to twist a knob sitting on the stem...did not feel comfy or inspiring to me and .....well I just didn't like it at all so no desire to own a rolhoff. The shifting felt alot more clunkier than the derailer gearing.

So, it's now the choice between the Patagonia and Deccan, do I sacrifice the hydraulic disc brakes for mechanicals to go with STi shifters or do I stick with the Hydraulics and go with Bar ends. The braking felt fine with both, only one needs adjusting sometimes and one doesn't.
The rims on the newer models have gone from the Alex rims to the Swiss Rims....both bomb proof but apparently the Swiss Rims even more so I've been told.

Outnabike, that's a cool set-up you have on yours, love the way you've got the mirrors as well. which brings me to another point, I like having a mirror on my bike as I can't twist to see what's behind me like i used to be able to do, with the Deccan, I could place on on the bar-end of the drops but with the bar end shifter model, won't be able to do that.
Whilst the idea of upgrading to a new bike may not be neccesary, I just like the newer models, the better gear they've got and if I can get a decent price on my current Vivente, then the new one will only cost me about $1400-1500 difference with warranty etc etc.

I'll just take the front tubus racks,, computer, front klick thingo for the handlebar bag and I'll change my 700C x38 Marathon Pro tyres to replace the 32 marathons on the new bike...i like the larger tyre.
Then come spring.....I'll sell the present bike...it's still in excellent condition, just an older set-up.

Decisions decisions :?

cheers

brumby33

VWR Patagonia 2017

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:55 pm

Are Sora and Deore the same level but Sora is a road group and Deore an MTB group?
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:38 pm

Yep the mirrors are a bit large for most folk, but me being a bit old in the tooth, they help me a lot and saves a lot of unnecessary turning, say on straight roads where you only really check for long distance stuff. You still need to be aware in traffic.

They are actually off the net and are made for motorcycles, hence the bulky looking assembly. But they are universally movable and rock steady.
I tried proper bike mirrors but they were either to small or quivered like a leaf.

I have had the bike since 2012, and I am not a fly weight, yet I have no problems with the brakes as they are at all. I am often shopping and no trouble stopping with 30 kg in the panniers.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:07 pm

outnabike wrote:Hi brumby33, not sure if I can help but mine is a 2012 model and came with these bars.....

I don't mind the shifters and so went about altering an old set of drop bars by adding some section of a second set, and welding them into place. Then the existing shifters went on as if nothing had happened.

I know it looks as though I have trifled with mother nature, but it was the cheapest alternative for me. I used the soft rubber to coat the parts that needed it and left a couple of spots as cool hand positions.
No less real estate than previously and a much narrower set up for traffic driving. To me they are very comfortable in use and I like to get into the drops occasionally.
A friend did the welding expertly and for free, so all up I only paid for a couple of sets of second hand ally bars a total of $20-00. :)

No doubt a very busy flight deck there outnabike lol but what is that bottle with a tube in it that's fixed to the left fork? is that for an air horn or something...I see you still got your bugle on there. Yeah i reckon that mirror set up looks the goods. risking being shot down in flames here but if the law was going to make anything compulsory on a bicycle, a mirror would be more important than a bell in my opinion especially when you're having to ride besides parked cars on a road that has numerous chicanes and narrowed thoroughfares and cars coming behind doing their 60kph or more. I find most motorists are quite good but you always get one moron in a tradie truck that wants to prove a point.

cheers

brumby33

VWR Patagonia 2017