Rack or Backpack or Trailer - Salsa Mukluk

Aushiker

Rack or Backpack or Trailer - Salsa Mukluk

Postby Aushiker » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:33 pm

I have a 10 day bikepack coming up in early December riding from Esperance to Albany in WA via mainly dirt roads, some single track and some beaches.

As often the case here in WA I have a need to carry water; a max of 15 litres on two occasions assuming all goes to plan.

As I see it with my current configuration I can carry 1.5 litres on the downtube, 750 mls on the top tube and 3 litres in the framebag. So that leaves me with a need to sort out capacity for the remaining ~10 litres.

I could go with two bottles on the front fork which will swallow up 1.5 litres and I may get another two litres into the framebag (need to check this) so that leaves 6.5 8.5 litres.

As I see it my options are:

(1) Backpack for that 6.5 to 8.5 litres. Would consume four to six litres in the first day so the full load is for one day only each time;
(2) Pull my Extrawheel Trailer with a pannier (cannot run fat tyres so not sure how it will go on the beaches with the water on board)
(3) Go with a rear rack such as the Salsa Alternator 170 (or any other rack options?) and shift the worse of the water load to the rear (so nothing on the front forks or stuffing the extra two litres in the framebag). I normally run a saddle bag so may remove that if I use the rack on this ride.

Thoughts? Other options?
Last edited by Aushiker on Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

avolve

Re: Rack or Backpack or Trailer - Salsa Mukluk

Postby avolve » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:39 pm

I thought there was a fat compatible option for the Extrawheel (though would require a new wheel I assume)?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:11 pm

avolve wrote:I thought there was a fat compatible option for the Extrawheel (though would require a new wheel I assume)?
As far as I am aware and from my discussions with Extrawheel, the "fat" version is just a change in the fork (Pugsley) to go on a bike with fat rear tyre. The maximum width on the trailer remains at 2.3".

Happy to be corrected but ...

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:17 pm

Aushiker wrote:
avolve wrote:I thought there was a fat compatible option for the Extrawheel (though would require a new wheel I assume)?
As far as I am aware and from my discussions with Extrawheel, the "fat" version is just a change in the fork (Pugsley) to go on a bike with fat rear tyre. The maximum width on the trailer remains at 2.3".

Happy to be corrected but ...
I'm pretty sure the Big Apple tire I previously ran on my Extrawheel trailer was 2.35 albeit in 700c (622).
(Not a correction, merely a conformation of your info.)

I suspect it would have an amount of float on sand utilising a low tire pressure, though I'd personally use two panniers for better weight distribution, to stop the trailer from being inclined to tilt and digging in on the heavier side which I think you may experience with just one. (I know two panniers would go against your natural inclination)

Some experimentation on a local beach would of course be prudent beforehand. :D

To save you the cost of a tire for experimentation, I'm happy to offer you a loan of a 700c 2.35 Big Apple tire for your experiment for a couple of weeks "before" you head off on tour, if it helps determine if the tire sizing is going to suit your set up.

You won't be able to utilise a mudguard on the trailer with this size (or even with a 2.00 sizing).
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:57 pm

rifraf wrote: To save you the cost of a tire for experimentation, I'm happy to offer you a loan of a 700c 2.35 Big Apple tire for your experiment for a couple of weeks "before" you head off on tour, if it helps determine if the tire sizing is going to suit your set up.
Thanks for the suggestion but to be honest with the new Transwa buses I would like to avoid taking the trailer if at all possible. It is more a hassle now as it stands and some drivers are right tossers as it is with just a bike; hate to think what the agro would be with a bike and trailer.

I see the trailer being used for rides from home or one way bus rides out of Perth where they seem more switched on or rides out of the back of the car.

My thinking is either a rack (given my preference for remote riding this maybe the better option) or put-up with a backpack loaded for two to four days and empty the rest of the time.

Looking at Matt Cummings setup, maybe a rack isn't a bad idea ...

This is my current setup ...

ImageHolland Track Day 2: Salsa Mukluk at Granite Rock Outcrop by Andrew Priest (Aushiker), on Flickr

I did water drops on this ride so got away with carrying less water, mind you an expected water supply at one rock turned out to be dry so ran short on one day - had to flag down a vehicle for some water.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:48 am

Aushiker wrote:
rifraf wrote: To save you the cost of a tire for experimentation, I'm happy to offer you a loan of a 700c 2.35 Big Apple tire for your experiment for a couple of weeks "before" you head off on tour, if it helps determine if the tire sizing is going to suit your set up.
Thanks for the suggestion but to be honest with the new Transwa buses I would like to avoid taking the trailer if at all possible. It is more a hassle now as it stands and some drivers are right tossers as it is with just a bike; hate to think what the agro would be with a bike and trailer.

I see the trailer being used for rides from home or one way bus rides out of Perth where they seem more switched on or rides out of the back of the car.

My thinking is either a rack (given my preference for remote riding this maybe the better option) or put-up with a backpack loaded for two to four days and empty the rest of the time.
No worries.

Good luck with the decision.
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.