Weehoo modifications for rack and pannier - mounting a bike rack with no mount points

matthewo_brien

Weehoo modifications for rack and pannier - mounting a bike rack with no mount points

Postby matthewo_brien » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:04 am

Hi All

I've been continuing my setup for family camping from bikes and yesterday successfully modified the Weehoo iGo with a rear rack for panniers. I used Croozer replacement axle nuts (designed to attach a tag along pram) to hold the bracket I fabricated. Works really well - 10km test yesterday with no issues - will do 20-30 today as a real shake down.

The Croozer nuts are a real option to axel mount a rack on any bike I think - as long as you are happy with a little bit of fabrication.

It doesn't look like I can upload photos here but I documented the whole process with photos in a blog post - https://bikepackingwithafamily.wordpres ... ng-a-rack/

Hope it's of interest to someone!

Regards

Matthew

Cycleops70

Re: Weehoo modifications for rack and pannier - mounting a bike rack with no mount points

Postby Cycleops70 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:12 pm

Nice work!
Keeping the load low too.

Mugglechops

Re: Weehoo modifications for rack and pannier - mounting a bike rack with no mount points

Postby Mugglechops » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:56 pm

Finally got a chance to check out your blog. Nice work.

I picked up a weehoo igo last week. Only ridden 9.5kms so far but my son seemed to like it.

What size tyre are you running?

matthewo_brien

Postby matthewo_brien » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:02 pm

Glad the blog is useful!

Have a very knobbly 20 x 2.1 on there currently which is working well on and off road. Think it could take wider but no need at this stage - will see how the ride is when it's fully loaded - after i can ride again!

Regards

Matthew

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:35 am

Mugglechops do I see a fat weehoo coming up ? Looking at mine I think the chainline is probably the limiting factor rather than clearance
It doesn't get easier, you just get slower

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:56 am

find_bruce wrote:Mugglechops do I see a fat weehoo coming up ? Looking at mine I think the chainline is probably the limiting factor rather than clearance
Thinking of going for a 2.4 if it fits. Will test it with a fat beach ride on Saturday.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:07 pm

I just mounted my Basil Portland rack to mine. Fitted a longer axle then made new stays for the rack. Will give me more room.

Ordered a 2.8 Specialized tyre on Friday. Got an email from a guy at work saying he has one on his and it fits fine.

matthewo_brien

Postby matthewo_brien » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:35 pm

I will look forward to seeing how the 2.8 turns out for you - might be worthwhile on my build too!

Regards

Matthew

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:46 am

It went well. I took the chain off as I will need to add a few links as the overall height is greater.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/159727964@N02/1Mf795