New light touring/ commuting frame and bits

queequeg

Re: New light touring/ commuting frame and bits

Postby queequeg » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:59 pm

avolve wrote:
queequeg wrote:I have also been browsing for Dyno lights to go with my Hunt wheels. So far the SuperNova E3 Pro 2 is looking like what I'll go with. Cost is reasonable, and it will nicely match the Ti frameset. The rest of the build is still TBC, but the bike will most likely be full Ultegra Hydro Disc (R8020) with a Long Cage R8000 Rear Derailluer

I had the E3 Pro on a previous (stolen) bike. I followed this with the Airstream on a non-dynamo bike (still have this)

I just installed an E3 Triple for my Jones Plus (still waiting for the matching E3 Tail Light to arrive).

The capped spread (up top) on the Pro is a good option for road riding. I went for the triple as this is for off road use and wanted more light out front (and up).

This would be primarily for road (sealed & gravel) riding, so the E3 looks to be a good option. I may pair it with my Exposure Diablo for an extra bit of "Oomf" when needed, but would otherwise be running on Dyno only. The frameset I have coming includes a threaded mount on the fork crown for a Dyno Light.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '15 Cervelo S5

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:37 pm

Ummm, is it a bit late to top up your order with a Busch and Muller rear light? I have an IQ Cyo T with a Secula. The wiring is more or less good to go from the front light back. The just ride and they work plus the standing light of both the front and rear when you are stopped in a dark spot in the bush has really turned me from a Luddite to a dyno light fancier.

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:35 pm

baabaa wrote:Ummm, is it a bit late to top up your order with a Busch and Muller rear light? I have an IQ Cyo T with a Secula.

Thanks for the offer, but I'm just going to reuse the Hermann's H-track light and rack setup I had on the Claud.
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Titus Motolite

hartleymartin

Postby hartleymartin » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:45 pm

rangersac wrote:
hartleymartin wrote:If you can extend your budget slightly, I have read good reviews of the Surly Disc Trucker.

In the end I went for the Wayward rather than a Surly LHT or a Viviente, as these very much are the full kitchen sink tourers. Based on reviews of the Wayward their frame is lighter, and misses out on some of the touring extras such as a kick stand, and spokes holders etc.

Do take photos of your rig. I look into various touring bicycles and consider various new options from time to time, but I just love to tinker with my old 1982 Raleigh. The 650B conversion let me have wider tyres (I used to tour on 27" x 1-1/4") which has made all the difference in comfort.
Martin Christopher Hartley

http://raleightwenty.webs.com - the top web resource for the Raleigh Twenty