Going tubeless

brokenbus

Re: Going tubeless

Postby brokenbus » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:57 pm

You have to top up the sealant as it dries out in 3 to 6 months dependent on brand of sealant and things like humidity etc.
What I meant by some extra weight is that 50ml of sealant would dry to maybe at a guess 5-10grams. You could clean this out if you really want to but on a touring bike you probably wouldn't bother. I don't bother cleaning them out on my roadie as I reckon I have substantially more potentially to lose weight around my middle!!! :D :D
The main benefit of tubeless is substantially less punctures. I think I have had 2 or 3 punctures and which haven't sealed in the last 30,000km and 2 pinch flats when tubeless but this was mainly due to too low pressures while doing jumps. I think I had 16 or 18 punctures in about 6 months pre tubeless on my commuter. It has certainly worked for me.
What I have noted with older tyres and tubeless is that you can use them longer as the older they get, the thinner they get and the easier they are to puncture. The sealant will fill the holes in these but obviously tubes will go flat.
These have been my observations over the past 6 to 7 years.

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:26 pm

I can't see the point of going tubeless if you are going to cart a truckload of tubes around. Sidewall cuts are easily cross-stitched with a heavy darning needle and unwaxed dental floss.
I carried one spare tube, same as always, on my backroads NZ tour last year. I didn't need it, and don't anticipate needing it. Next time I'll take a Tubolito.
I don't remove the sealant, just add a little top up after 6 months.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:22 pm

Telemike wrote: and reduces rolling friction.
This claim gets trotted out by the magazines/on-line-authors every now and then. But then they also claim you can only have tyres wider than 25mm once you buy discs.

So I'd love to see some real data.

I recall as kids we used to put water in people's tyres as a joke because it'd slow them down.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:01 pm

brokenbus wrote:hem out on my roadie as I reckon I have substantially more potentially to lose weight around my middle!!! :D :D
The main benefit of tubeless is substantially less punctures. I think I have had 2 or 3 punctures and which haven't sealed in the last 30,000km and 2 pinch flats when tubeless but this was mainly due to too low pressures while doing jumps. I think I had 16 or 18 punctures in about 6 months pre tubeless on my commuter. It has certainly worked for me.
to compare fairly though BB, what tires were you using pre tubeless?
were the heavy duty such as Maxxis Refuse, or lighter weight such as Continental GP4000s?

uad782

Postby uad782 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:38 pm

If I want to remove sealant I remove the bead from the rim and use a syringe. If the sealant is fluid it will all run to the bottom. I have been using orange seal which is highly water soluble. I use a damp rag to soak any up or just hose into the lawn.

The other advantage of tubeless is no pinch flats. Running lower pressure off road also provides a smoother ride. With larger tyres it can remove the need for suspension.

I just completed around 1200 km of the GDMBR tubeless with no flats. It is 99% off road on rocky fire trails and single track and the bike was quite heavy. In a couple of cases the rim hit a rock which would have certainly caused a pinch flat.

uad782

Postby uad782 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:40 pm

Forgot to say I started this thread querying the advantages of tubeless. I am sold on it now!