N-1 New Ti Bikepacking rig cum replace all bikes bike

cancan64

N-1 New Ti Bikepacking rig cum replace all bikes bike

Postby cancan64 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:35 am

So I have currently been bikepacking on my Cyclocross bike which worked well up to I started riding for over 12hrs and then the pain came on. Got a bike fit and discovered that what fits for CX racing didnt fit for anything else and the bike was to big causing to much stretch. We managed to fit the bike and it rides ok loaded but unloaded its horrible. back up bike is bigger so armed with the ideal measurements from bike fitter I spent hours of my holidays going through bike frames and web sites trying to understand the many angles and measurements involved in bike geometry.
In the end I found the Reilly Gradient to be a near perfect match. I went the 55 which is a bit longer as i wanted room for the frame bag but I have an 80 stem that will put the handlebars in the ideal spot.
I have only purchased the frame as I wanted forks that can accommodate cargo cages so I can get away from cable ties on the forks. Not many options out there but ended up ordering the Rodeo Spork with the 12mm thru axle adaptor.
To pay for it I have to sell 3 bikes, so this will be bike packing/CX/commuter/roadie and chances are MTB bike but I will have 3 wheel sets. Commuting I have an unused 12mm thru axle front wheel already from the CX bike (I cracked the frame of original bike and was cheaper to buy bottom of range bike than just the frame - frames are identical except colour) and I am hoping my white ind carbon road wheels can be converted from QR to thru axle and for bikepacking I have a White Ind CLD/ Spank Oozy trail 295 wheelset on its way from XLR8Wheels.
I will keep the bars and Di2 from CX bike but as much as I love my 1x11 set up I will go back to 2x11 for all round practicality sacks. Will use the Ultrega 46/36 cranks off commuter with new XT di2 front derailier and 11/42 rear with xtr Di2 rear derailier from CX bike ... should cover anything I will need and if there is some funds left will upgrade battery so i can have syncro shift and wireless/bluetooth connectivity so I can easily keep track of charge and make adjustments on the fly.
Everything is currently in transit, I keep checking the tracking every hour but no changes yet... hopefully customs wont hold them up to long as I have 6 weeks before the Tour Aotearoa and want to get some km in. Expecting frame to arrive in just over a week along with everything else.
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

RonK

Re: N-1 New Ti Bikepacking rig cum replace all bikes bike

Postby RonK » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:34 pm

Very nice looking frame Calvin but then what titanium frame doesn't look great.

But way too low in the front for me to use comfortably for bike packing.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:29 am

The head tube length is shorter than what the bike fitter had but then the forks are longer but I do have to use an 80mm 17° stem which puts the handlebar within 1mm of ideal position...which fortunately I have.
Bike frame was picked up in England on Thursday and arrived in Auckland yesterday...now waiting for the dreaded email from Customs. Fork arrived in the country this morning, hoping I dont have to pay GST on that... this week should be like christmas
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:46 pm

Looks like it will come out looking very nice!

I am in the process of doing the same sort of thing, although I have not yet done any Bikepacking, but I knew from the outset that my CX commuter bike (Lynskey Cooper CX) is not really suited this sort thing, at least in part due to the fact all the cables run across the top tube and therefore prevent the use of frame bags, but also because I don't want the hassles of changing tyres and equipment just to go riding on the weekend, so I just keep the commuter as a commuter, and when I did that it opened up all sorts of new possibilities for an Adventure Bike.

I've gone with a Mason Cycles BokehTi Frameset. Since it is a Bikepacking Bike with Thru-Axles (12mm at both ends), I have added a set of Hunt Wheels SuperDura Dyno Disc wheels, with the intention to run Dyno lights and a USB Rechargers.

The only N-1 I have done was to get rid of my Cervelo S5, as I don't see any racing in my near future, and I still have my R5 which is just as good if not better). I have been doing some component swaps with my other bikes, so my commuter now has the Rotor 3D+ cranks on it using a BSA30 adapter.

For my Adventure Bike, I have decided to go with Ultegra R8020 Mechanical Shifting with Hydraulic Disc Brakes (Flat-Mount), paired with the Long Cage R8000 RD and a Rotor 3D24 Compact Crankset. That gives me a standard low gear of 34/34. I toyed with the idea of a 1x11 SRAM setup, but did not want to get locked into SRAM again due to the restrictive policy of online stores not able to ship to Australia.

I've got most of my stuff "In Transit". The only thing I have already is the wheels. The Frameset is due next month.

I just hope that I am able to get some rides in on it this year, as I am coming off almost a year off the bike due to DVT. The Adventure bike in part is for my mental health, to get out in the fresh air and clear my mind.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:33 pm

I'm very settled on the geometry of my Salsa Fargo now and would not trade it for anything with a lower front. I'd love a titanium Fargo frame but the price is outrageous compared to my previous titanium frame purchases.

However the Muru Borroloola 29+ frame has very similar geometry to the Fargo and it is very reasonably priced at $1799.

I just need to sell my titanium Sabbath Silk Route tourer to finance.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:21 pm

queequeg wrote:I've gone with a Mason Cycles BokehTi Frameset.
The Mason looks nice, They did come up in my search but I need to be riding this by next weekend...hopefully ... I also looked at Hunt wheels but I have had to repair every wheelset that I have owned except my 29er wheels which XLR8 built so decided to to leave the bikepacking wheels in there capable hands and other wheels I should be able to make up with what I have
Also looked at these and the fargo Ti plus cutthroat but I prefer the road orientated gravel bikes more than 29er orientated, although body might have a different view soon enough.

The frame turned up today. Somehow customs wasnt interested which I am not complaining about, saved nearly $500 by the time you add the 15%gst and handling fees for everyone that looks at the paperwork.

Forks have arrived in the country, hoping they get through ok as well. Should have to pay customs on everything over $40 but normally $1000 they get you.
I am the only one left in my section at work now so might as well pull it out of the box again

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:23 pm

Nice cancan. Could be the light but such chunky chainstays.
Yes geo can be a hard call I found my el marichi ( which was much the same as the original fargos) to be a wonderful long distance commuter. Not light or fast but just so easy to ride. Think several km on back street of Sydney hands free, it just tracks so bloody well so you just jump on and ride so every out turns into fun, not a chore. Bikepacking is also good but with racks and panniers it turned into a dog no matter how low I set my EBB. I guess some bikes just like the weight up higher than others.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:35 pm

RonK wrote:However the Muru Borroloola 29+ frame has very similar geometry to the Fargo and it is very reasonably priced at $1799.
That does look interesting indeed :)

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:47 pm

cancan64 wrote:
queequeg wrote:I've gone with a Mason Cycles BokehTi Frameset.
The Mason looks nice, They did come up in my search but I need to be riding this by next weekend...hopefully ... I also looked at Hunt wheels but I have had to repair every wheelset that I have owned except my 29er wheels which XLR8 built so decided to to leave the bikepacking wheels in there capable hands and other wheels I should be able to make up with what I have
Time is the one thing that I have at the moment, having been off since easter. I gave just reached the point now where not doing anything is worse than doing something and taking a risk. They only make 5 Mason Ti frames a month as it's a small builder, and they are pretty much a custom build as the tubing is only made with a confirmed order (and they need to 3D Print the Ti dropouts)

I just had my Ultegra levers/calipers and derailleurs show up in the post today, along with the tyres/chain/brake rotors. So, I have a couple more boxes of stuff to some, then hopefully the frame itself in a few weeks. I can guarantee that I won't get lucky with Customs on this one, so I'll be up for around $500 GST + Customs Handling.

I was going to build my own wheels for this one, but the Hunt Wheels were cheaper than I could buy all the components for. The Dyno Hub alone would have cost me $400.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:28 am

Forks are now with customs, can take 3 days to get the invoice for GST which they post and then can take 2 days for them to release it after I have paid them... another parcel is in the country but not the best tracking so unsure whats happening with it and most have no tracking so have no idea on there status. there are a few boxes sitting behind reception but sadly not mine... waiting waiting waiting

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:30 am

Nearly build time.... have had a few issues with Customs. All web info said I will get a letter within 5 days so after 6 working days I started chasing. Found one untracked parcel had been with customs for 13 days and someone forgot to load the paperwork. NZ Post lady was good and she took my email address and chased up the paperwork plus found the 3 other parcels and emailed me GST invoice and had most delivered this morning. still waiting for the forks although I should have them tomorrow morning at the latest and Wheelset is being processed but again will have inv emailed.
The commuter has had donor parts removed and CX bike is in shop ready to donate its goodies.
Hopefully I will be riding it next week

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:11 am

Pressure, pressure. :D

What was your start date? 12 Feb wasn't it? :evil:

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:55 pm

Start date is 26th Feb

Forks have arrived... will drop off what I can carry on the way home...will just be missing wheels

happy with the forks...just hope I dont get asked what they are after a few tequilas...Rodeo Spork Fork can be a tongue twister

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:06 am

How are the preparations going Calvin? Have you completed the build?

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:07 am

Bike was finished on the weekend. First commute to work this morning and seems comfortable although only 40km. Public holiday here tomorrow so am hoping to put all the bikepacking bags on tonight and will do an 80km ride which will include some of the TA route through Auckland. Weight as pictured is 10.7kg

managed to get the XT front derailleur working... a few issues with road BB and frame thickness . Still need to upgrade Di2 battery so I can setup syncroshift and will add bluetooth so I can make adjustments on my phone if need be

I like the angles of the frame and tubes

Picked up the Brooks C13 saddle on special... still couldnt afford it, trying to work oout how to block some of the threads on the forum so I am not tempted to spend... saddle feels good so far but again only 40km. I do have the option of changing back on the TA when I get to Auckland or Wellington if I find it not suitable

Should get away with the front tyre clearance .... will try and find some mud to test this weekend. Tyres are Panaracer Gravel Kings 40c (Now sold as 43c) and running tubeless

This mornings commute - Mt Eden

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:18 am

hehe - not much clearance there. Looks fantastic, great build.

And you still have a few weeks for adjustments before starting the TA.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:54 am

Back to the bike fitter on Saturday but measures up well. Have an 80km gravel shop ride on Sunday which I will do loaded as well so will have an idea on how it goes after that. Then just commuting to keep things ticking over until TA time. Bike back in shop before TA to give it a final check and will have a new rear tyre put on the weekend before...

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:13 pm

Wow, looks nice!

I’ve got the Panaracer Gravelking SK tyres sitting here for my build, but I only went 35mm for now. What do you mean that the 40mm is now sold as a 43? Do you just mean the 40mm actually measures at 43mm when fitted?

I should have buckets of clearance either way, as I can go to 45mm on 700c wheels (and 50mm if I put on 650b)

uad782

Postby uad782 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:39 pm

Awesome build. You should breeze through the TA on that bike.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:35 am

queequeg wrote: What do you mean that the 40mm is now sold as a 43? Do you just mean the 40mm actually measures at 43mm when fitted?
Yes the 40's when fitted were measuring 43 so they now sell them as a 43. I have some new ones ready to go on before the TA. I was running the 35 on the rear of my CX bike and found they worked well but have changed to 40 since I now can and in the hope of getting a bit more grip on the off road pinches that are coming up

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:43 am

I put some bags on yesterday ... have just moved house so used what I could find and included anything with a bit of weight. Rode the TA route out of Auckland which gave me a bit of gravel plus I found some mud the day before so added that in on the way home. Happy so far and done some hill repeats this morning with the only issue being my knee hit the aero bar armrests when out of the saddle. Will see how that goes after Saturdays bike fit over wise I will try and raise them.
I am commuting to work with the bags on and have an 80km gravel shop ride on Sunday which will be my last hit out before TA. I was going to ride to the start which last time made a 200+ ride but my partners work christmas party is on the night before so decided on some sleep

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:47 am

Eh? Christmas party in February?

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:51 am

better late than never I thought

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue May 08, 2018 10:14 pm

My Mason has finally arrived in the country. Just paid the Customs & GST charges today, so it should have been released for delivery this afternoon. Hopefully I'll get a delivery tomorrow or Thursday.

I'm doing the lazy option this time and getting it built for me by my bike fitter, as they will just take the setup from my last bike and build it to the same fit as part of the service. If I build it myself it will take me weeks due to lack of time, and lack of expertise with hydraulic brake systems and tubeless tyres, so someone else doing the dirty work suits me fine :-)

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Thu May 10, 2018 10:35 am

You must be excited Queequeg. NZ hads a nz$400 limit with customs but I was lucky and the frame got through without being pricked up., but everything else did including a $402 delivery. was a pain as it added weeks to the build time which I also had done by a shop. just didnt have time and wanted it done properly first up