Just made the partner a nice set of wheels

Trevtassie

Just made the partner a nice set of wheels

Postby Trevtassie » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:01 am

Just made a nice set of wheels for the partners bike...
Rhyno Lite XLs, DT Alpine III, SP PD-8 and Shimano 756. Rhyno's are pretty easy to build up, came out pretty straight and true without much jiggling. Only thing I regret is getting Avid BB7s for brakes, should have gone for TRP-Spyres.
Needed the XLs for the Extra Terrestrials. Unfortunately I just figured out they run too close to the rear rack for the clips on the panniers to clear them, so there goes 27 Euros each on new Tubus Expedition racks...
So from starting out on our original 1990s mountain bikes and being proud of how we did it on the cheap, we've somehow ended up with top shelf rough road tourers.... Grandpa's axe, two heads and three handles later, I guess we have nothing left of the original bikes!

queequeg

Re: Just made the partner a nice set of wheels

Postby queequeg » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:52 am

Trevtassie wrote:Just made a nice set of wheels for the partners bike...
Rhyno Lite XLs, DT Alpine III, SP PD-8 and Shimano 756. Rhyno's are pretty easy to build up, came out pretty straight and true without much jiggling. Only thing I regret is getting Avid BB7s for brakes, should have gone for TRP-Spyres.
Yep, I had the BB7 brakes on my CX Commuter since 2011. I have just done a rebuild, and was going to fit the TRP-Spyre calipers, but I couldn't get any at the time, but the TRP-Hy/RD calipers with Rotors/Adapters were on special (as luck would have it), and I picked up those for not much more than the Spyre. It was worth the upgrade, and one big benefit is the streamlined form factor of the calipers means I don't have to contort the stays on my mudguards to get around them to the mounting eyelets, resulting in a much cleaner finish.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Trevtassie

Postby Trevtassie » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:11 pm

Actually it was the Spykes I was looking at, the MTB version of the Spyre... can get a pair of discs, calipers and adaptors for Au $104 delivered off Ali Express...

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:13 pm

Trevtassie wrote:Actually it was the Spykes I was looking at, the MTB version of the Spyre... can get a pair of discs, calipers and adaptors for Au $104 delivered off Ali Express...
Yes, I did see you mentioned the bike was an MTB, so you'd have the MTB Levers.

My TRP's were not quite that cheap. I think it was $300 for two calipers, rotors & IS Adapters. The Spyre was going to cost me $120 just for the caliper, then another $60 for the Rotor & IS Adapters, so it worked out about $100 cheaper just to get the Hy/Rd
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:51 pm

Trevtassie wrote:Actually it was the Spykes I was looking at, the MTB version of the Spyre... can get a pair of discs, calipers and adaptors for Au $104 delivered off Ali Express...
Sounds like a very nice price but having experienced post from China once, I have to say never again - for me.
Two months for a tiny item and unintelligible communication loosely translated as "be patient"
I'm not patient by nature so the purchase just wasn't me.
I hope your experience is much better. :D
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

Trevtassie

Postby Trevtassie » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:57 pm

I love buying stuff from China, sometimes you forget it's coming, it's like getting a random present in the mail. Will get some Spykes anyway, the BB7 don't play well with racks.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:04 am

Trevtassie wrote:I love buying stuff from China, sometimes you forget it's coming, it's like getting a random present in the mail. Will get some Spykes anyway, the BB7 don't play well with racks.
Yeah, my BB7’s were a right pain with the rack and the guards.
I finished off my build and fitted my new guards and rack, and was able to do so with minimal fuss. Just one bend in one stay so that the stay did not rub on the bottom of the rack on the caliper side.

The new guards came with spacers for the discs, so it was so much easier to fit them with the slimline TRP brakes.

My only issue now is that it turns out the TRP HY/RD Calipers are specifically designed to run with SLR-EV road brake levers, not the earlier Super SLR and SRAM 10-sp, so I have some short pull actuator arms on the way from a guy who CNC machines replacement arms for folks like me with a 10-sp setup who hate BB7 Calipers.

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:19 am

I've been eyeing these off ever since I started building my Fargo, but they were to expensive for me then. Good value from AliExpress now. Nice choice of colours too.

Juin Tech R1

Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:31 am

RonK wrote:I've been eyeing these off ever since I started building my Fargo, but they were to expensive for me then. Good value from AliExpress now. Nice choice of colours too.
Out of curiosity, what pads do they utilise :?:

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:33 am

queequeg wrote:
Yeah, my BB7’s were a right pain with the rack and the guards.
I've heard this from others.
I was lucky and didn't experience any fitment issue with mine.
For the most part they have been great.