Cycling innovations catalyst pedals

matthewo_brien

Cycling innovations catalyst pedals

Postby matthewo_brien » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:24 pm

Has anyone else looked into these long platform pedals designed to bridge your foot arch for different/better pedals biomechanics and power?

https://pedalinginnovations.com

I’ve always wondered about the biomechanics of ball pedaling, and was never natural for me - I had to train myself to pedal “properly”.

I’m tempted to give these a try given the money back guarantee - but also would be curious what others think and if anyone here has tried them?

Regards

Matthew

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Re: Cycling innovations catalyst pedals

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:43 am

Same (old) idea as using mid-foot cleat position, just without cleats. Nothing new about that. Doesn't help performance though.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:31 am

I watched the video with interest. Soon got a very 'evangelical' or 'snake oil' vibe.

IF this was such a revolution, they should be offering them in different sizes to suit different feet. It's just a bigger platform pedal, but if it is so important to bridge between heel and ball then it must be important to cater for larger feet. Also, since it is such a simple thing, why over the last 100 years hasn't it already been done and become mainstream?

I measured a few of my flat pedals, the length was around 90mm. These miracle pedals are 125mm. There is't much in it.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:58 am

That and the fact that many cycling shoes have stiff soles that do the same job.

Trevtassie

Postby Trevtassie » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:28 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:That and the fact that many cycling shoes have stiff soles that do the same job.
Yep, I had a pair of those 5Tens in their pictures, very stiff soles, so stiff I actually snapped one.. and got a new pair on warranty! (they also had a cut out for SPD cleats- which I used)