Son & SP dynamo connector compatibility

avolve

Son & SP dynamo connector compatibility

Postby avolve » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:09 pm

I currently have a wheel set with a SON dynamo on my Jones Plus LWB (150mm).

I picked up a second wheel set recently and want to rebuild the front wheel with a dynamo as well. I was looking at an SP PD 8X 150 as it is quite a bit cheaper and I could also see what differences there might be between them.

The SON has a male-female clip connection (and I have a piggy back clip installed for a USB charger). It seems SP use a box, with if I remember correctly is similar to what I had on a Shimano dynamo a few years back.

Anyone used or seen a suitable method to connect the SP box to the SON female clip? Or is it not plausible-possible and will I need to fork out more cash for another SON dynamo?

Thanks

RonK

Re: Son & SP dynamo connector compatibility

Postby RonK » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:20 pm

I can't see any reason why you couldn't splice in both sets of connectors. That is what I'd be doing.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:22 pm

I can confirm the SP connector is interchangeable with Shimano. Like Ronk says, easy enough to splice in both sets of connectors. Another alternative is a short harness - SP connector at one end, male spade connectors at the other to mate your existing wiring to
Anything you can do, I can do slower

avolve

Postby avolve » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:58 pm

find_bruce wrote:I can confirm the SP connector is interchangeable with Shimano. Like Ronk says, easy enough to splice in both sets of connectors. Another alternative is a short harness - SP connector at one end, male spade connectors at the other to mate your existing wiring to
In having another look, I think this might be an option. Thanks

Blakeylonger

Postby Blakeylonger » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:32 pm

You can put the SP or Shimano plug onto the spade connectors of a SON hub. It's not a perfect fit obviously, but it does slide on and complete the circuit.

So you could snip the spades off and fit the SP lego connector and use it on both. Or make a mini harness (use RC car gold plated bullet connectors for inline joiners) and keep both.

avolve

Postby avolve » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:23 pm

Blakeylonger wrote: Or make a mini harness (use RC car gold plated bullet connectors for inline joiners) and keep both.
Good idea and might be what I end up going with. Thanks.

Supernova sell-make gold connecter quite similar these. I have the already set-up so I can disconnect the rear light (for bike packing on trails). They work quite well.