Broken chain stay

gabaker

Broken chain stay

Postby gabaker » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:23 pm

Last week, when riding into the city, the chain stay broke on my Vivente World Randonneur. I have owned the Vivente for about four years and I am, actually, very happy with it. The Vivente has a chromoly steel frame, which is supposed to be re-weldable (if that's a word).
I'd like to get some feedback on two questions:
  1. If I get a welder to repair the chain stay, what're the chances that the chain stay will be 'as good as new?' Can I rely on the repair not to break again?
  2. The break is adjacent to the stand, which bolts directly into the chain stay. Is this a 'known problem?' Can a bicycle stand weaken the frame?

10speedsemiracer

Re: Broken chain stay

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:32 pm

Whilst not wanting to cast aspersions on welder's abilities, that would need to be addressed by a good frame-builder, because of the location of the break.

Maybe reach out to Vivente as I'm sure they'd a] be interested in being aware and b] may have some input/advice regarding how to move forward with this. Personally, and just based on that one pic, I think that frame is probably toast.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

robbo mcs

Postby robbo mcs » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:05 pm

I agree, I would be speaking to Vivente, to let them know what has happened and what they have to say about it.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:13 am

10speedsemiracer wrote:Whilst not wanting to cast aspersions on welder's abilities, that would need to be addressed by a good frame-builder, because of the location of the break.

Maybe reach out to Vivente as I'm sure they'd a] be interested in being aware and b] may have some input/advice regarding how to move forward with this. Personally, and just based on that one pic, I think that frame is probably toast.
Yes, I'd go along with the suggested contact with Vivente. Such a failure would have to be very rare and of significant interest to the manufacturer I would imagine. How old is the bike btw? Short of being involved in crashes, even old CroMo frames should remain good for many dacades, it's one of the advantages over newer technology.

Might be worth a Google search to see if anyone else had had a similar failure.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Tamiya

Postby Tamiya » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:43 am

There's a fair bit of rust on that dropout.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:38 am

Not a great pic at all.
When you see the sharp outline of the chain stay metal like that, it almost looks like a missed weld. I mean there is no tearing of the edge at all. It is a bit lumpy on the centre of the vertical face but it is hard to see the weld at all on the top edge. It looks as though the joint has been flexing vertically, which it would, and just come apart.
The construction method might be to tack the joints and then do a full weld missing that one.

My model is earlier with out the disc brake and is smooth and buffed showing no weld or join at all.

That is not to say they didn't change the construction. I would post a pic But it is a pain to do it.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

gabaker

Postby gabaker » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:56 am

Tamiya wrote:There's a fair bit of rust on that dropout.
That's not rust. It's residual bull dust from a trip to Boulia.
http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/boulia
:D

Warin

Postby Warin » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:34 pm

Contact Vivente and see what they say, particularly regarding a recommended repairer. I'd not trust just anyone with the repair, prefer someone with bicycle experience, or airframe experience.
I'd also consider another short tube between the chain stay and seat stay just outside of the side stand to strengthen the area from the side stand flex.

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:20 pm

Contact Noel McFarlane at Vivente and see if he is able to assist with either a repair or a replacement.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:24 pm

RonK wrote:Contact Noel McFarlane at Vivente and see if he is able to assist with either a repair or a replacement.
Sage advice
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:52 pm

10speedsemiracer wrote:Whilst not wanting to cast aspersions on welder's abilities, that would need to be addressed by a good frame-builder, because of the location of the break.

I look forward to reading any updates on how you get on :)

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:57 am

gabaker wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:23 pm
Last week, when riding into the city, the chain stay broke on my Vivente World Randonneur. I have owned the Vivente for about four years and I am, actually, very happy with it. The Vivente has a chromoly steel frame, which is supposed to be re-weldable (if that's a word).
I'd like to get some feedback on two questions:
  1. If I get a welder to repair the chain stay, what're the chances that the chain stay will be 'as good as new?' Can I rely on the repair not to break again?
  2. The break is adjacent to the stand, which bolts directly into the chain stay. Is this a 'known problem?' Can a bicycle stand weaken the frame?
How bout an update on how you got on? :idea:

gabaker

Postby gabaker » Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:16 am

The editor has suggested that I give an update on this post.
I reported the broken frame to Epic Cycles in Brisbane, where I originally bought the Vivente Anatolia bicycle. Epic Cycles contacted Vivente, who arranged a replacement frame, and Epic Cycles switched the frame for me on warranty. I have been riding the Vivente with the new frame since then. I can't speak highly enough of both Epic Cycles and Vivente. Great service.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:20 pm

gabaker wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:16 am
The editor has suggested that I give an update on this post.
I reported the broken frame to Epic Cycles in Brisbane, where I originally bought the Vivente Anatolia bicycle. Epic Cycles contacted Vivente, who arranged a replacement frame, and Epic Cycles switched the frame for me on warranty. I have been riding the Vivente with the new frame since then. I can't speak highly enough of both Epic Cycles and Vivente. Great service.
Very helpful information to any of our forum members currently sitting on the fence with regards a Vivente purchase me thinks.
Thank you for the update :)