Reviews of the Azzurri Di2 Forza Pro from Cycling Express

Wayfarer

Re: Reviews of the Azzurri Di2 Forza Pro from Cycling Expres

Postby Wayfarer » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:01 am

TDC wrote:
Wayfarer wrote:
petal665 wrote:I get about 2000kms from a charge and I shift a LOT.
I get infinity km's with no charges ;) all hail ultegra! (standard)
but what if you forget to eat? arrrrggghhh...can't...move...fingers.....can't ...change...gears...nooooooo... :mrgreen:
You'd be no better off with Di2, and frankly, anyone who forks out the money to buy Di2 probably has less food than me :lol:
Did anyone know Di2 started off on commuter bikes for lazy peeps? I dunno, I just prefer the natural feel of road bikes. Simpler the better. Take my mountain bike to France, Vietnam, Africa, Madagascar, came back and pulled a 60k time trial on me roadie the next day to get rid of jetlag. No batteries needed :D
What are these salesmen peddling?

Arlberg

Postby Arlberg » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:24 pm

in anticipation of getting my bike I was reading through the Di2 instruction manual which there was a link to earlier in this thread.

On the left hand side brake lever it seems unusual that there is one shifter button for changing from the big chain ring to the smaller chain ring on the front derailleur, and another separate shifter button to do the reverse.

Wouldn't it be considerably easier and less fiddly to just have the one shifter button, which when pushed, puts you onto the front chain ring that you are not already on?

petal665

Postby petal665 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:36 pm

Arlberg wrote: Wouldn't it be considerably easier and less fiddly to just have the one shifter button, which when pushed, puts you onto the front chain ring that you are not already on?
That's a solid idea.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:40 pm

petal665 wrote:
Arlberg wrote: Wouldn't it be considerably easier and less fiddly to just have the one shifter button, which when pushed, puts you onto the front chain ring that you are not already on?
That's a solid idea.
would also mean a different design from the rear, which means more r&d, design, parts etc etc. all adds cost. nice idea though

petal665

Postby petal665 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:37 pm

jasonc wrote:
petal665 wrote:
That's a solid idea.
would also mean a different design from the rear, which means more r&d, design, parts etc etc. all adds cost. nice idea though
How does it make the rear different? We are talking FD. One momentary close of the circuit to shift up, same button, momentary close to shift back down.

Sven Nijs

Postby Sven Nijs » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:11 pm

Fairwheel Bikes in America do sequential shifting conversions so front and rear mechs shift themselves as required. One button for up, one for down. You wouldn't even have to think about your front mech at all then.
It's a bit warmer here than Scotland isn't it!

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:29 pm

If they ever do a triple front chainring version (which one would assume will eventually come with an MTB version and/or trickle down to 105 in a few years) then that wouldn't work quite so well :P
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:08 pm

petal665 wrote: would also mean a different design from the rear, which means more r&d, design, parts etc etc. all adds cost. nice idea though
How does it make the rear different? We are talking FD. One momentary close of the circuit to shift up, same button, momentary close to shift back down.[/quote]

they use the same electronics for both front and rear shifters. so they'd have to redesign the front one....

petal665

Postby petal665 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:13 pm

jasonc wrote:
petal665 wrote: would also mean a different design from the rear, which means more r&d, design, parts etc etc. all adds cost. nice idea though
How does it make the rear different? We are talking FD. One momentary close of the circuit to shift up, same button, momentary close to shift back down.
they use the same electronics for both front and rear shifters. so they'd have to redesign the front one....
On DA Di2, the FD receives a signal from the 'brains' not directly from the levers, so once again, why does the FD need to be redesigned? Even with Ui2, it'd be a 2 hour job to change how the signals are received by the brains in the FD. Heck, I could probably change the code in the FD brains in 2 hours, and I don't even know what I am doing.

Toyopet

Postby Toyopet » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:15 pm

In addition to Santacruzscott's suggestion for MTB Di2 and Arlberg's suggestion for a single front derailleur shift button, I suggest that open source telemetry be built into electronic groupsets which sends signals to (yet to be developed) wireless cycle computers or garmin units. It could tell you many things, for example which Chainwheel and Cog you're presently on. Then there would be no need to rely on memory, trial/error, or taking your eyes too far off the road. Pairing of the units would be required, to avoid crossed signals in a group. Shouldn't be too difficult to implement though.

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:58 pm

Toyopet wrote:In addition to Santacruzscott's suggestion for MTB Di2 and Arlberg's suggestion for a single front derailleur shift button, I suggest that open source telemetry be built into electronic groupsets which sends signals to (yet to be developed) wireless cycle computers or garmin units. It could tell you many things, for example which Chainwheel and Cog you're presently on. Then there would be no need to rely on memory, trial/error, or taking your eyes too far off the road. Pairing of the units would be required, to avoid crossed signals in a group. Shouldn't be too difficult to implement though.
Isn't the current Shimano Flight Deck supposed to do that? Albeit not very well.....

Toyopet

Postby Toyopet » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:26 pm

Flightdeck is wired to the levers, no? Plus there are many other possibilites; shift counters, battery indicator.

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:29 pm

Toyopet wrote:Flightdeck is wired to the levers, no? Plus there are many other possibilites; shift counters, battery indicator.
It was, not sure if still is. Def agree though the options are endless if they go down that route though whether it be shimano or other brands :).

whichway

Postby whichway » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:40 am

I still miss the flight deck telling me what gear I was in. Anyway, change is constant.

PS - No good reason why Di2 should not be sequential,or at least have a manual and sequential mode. That would be good, and not too hard to arrange

santacruzscott

Postby santacruzscott » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:06 pm

Some sort of gear indicator would be good.
Have spent 20+ years on MTB's , a lot of them with gear position indicators on the shifters.

Last few years I have had 2 bikes with the XT dual control shifter/brake combo.
And have now built a bike with the new 10 speed XT with thumb shifters , also with the indicators.

I find myself looking at the levers/shifters on the Azzurri all the time to see what gear I'm in...........
I'm sure I'll get over it eventually :shock:

vander

Postby vander » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:35 pm

santacruzscott wrote:Some sort of gear indicator would be good.
Have spent 20+ years on MTB's , a lot of them with gear position indicators on the shifters.

And have now built a bike with the new 10 speed XT with thumb shifters , also with the indicators.

I find myself looking at the levers/shifters on the Azzurri all the time to see what gear I'm in...........
It doesnt matter what gear you are in the actual numbers are irrelevant its whether you can maintain your cadence/power output.

santacruzscott

Postby santacruzscott » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:47 pm

vander wrote:
It doesnt matter what gear you are in the actual numbers are irrelevant its whether you can maintain your cadence/power output.

Your absolutely right of corse.

Just need to get used to not having the visual indicators. :)

paulz

Postby paulz » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:36 am

I mentioned in an earlier post that I was going to take out the bike for a decent ride on Sunday morning...well, I managed to head east of the Perth CBD and ride up the hills and then back down again. I am very happy with the feel of the bike. The shifting was great, especially the FD...super smooth and precise which was perfect for the climb. Unlike some of the others that have posted, I had no problems with the RD refusing to stay on the larger cog.

Heading down the hill back to the city I clocked a max speed of circa 72km/hr without any pedalling which the bike handled no problems. After the mandatory coffees, we rode back through the city and eventually home.

So far I am very happy with the bike...granted that it is the honeymoon period, but nevertheless the shifting was brilliant, the bike was comfortable and responsive. In short, it represents great value. Does anyone know how long the introductory price will be offered for?

Arlberg

Postby Arlberg » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:38 pm

Anyone from the 'November shipment' received their bike yet, or heard anything from Cycling Express? After all, there are only 3 days left in November....

ftssjk

Postby ftssjk » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:07 pm

you'll most likely get it early or mid december.

maybe its held up in customs

Wayfarer

Postby Wayfarer » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:34 pm

Toyopet wrote:In addition to Santacruzscott's suggestion for MTB Di2 and Arlberg's suggestion for a single front derailleur shift button, I suggest that open source telemetry be built into electronic groupsets which sends signals to (yet to be developed) wireless cycle computers or garmin units. It could tell you many things, for example which Chainwheel and Cog you're presently on. Then there would be no need to rely on memory, trial/error, or taking your eyes too far off the road. Pairing of the units would be required, to avoid crossed signals in a group. Shouldn't be too difficult to implement though.
You know, all these things can be solved by feel - I mean all of them. When I got my motorbike license, they taped over the speedo, and you had to pass without looking. You can feel when the front D is rubbing.
What are these salesmen peddling?

laserdirect

Postby laserdirect » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:35 pm

Hi guys, first post in here....

I have a bike in the January shipment - anyone know if this is likely to be on time? If so, when?

bracko

Postby bracko » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:15 am

Wayfarer wrote:
You know, all these things can be solved by feel - I mean all of them. When I got my motorbike license, they taped over the speedo, and you had to pass without looking. You can feel when the front D is rubbing.
additionally the cost would be prohibitive and would most likely add weight.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:39 pm

vander wrote:
santacruzscott wrote:Some sort of gear indicator would be good.

Amen to that. I didn't like going to the zero feedback 105 STIs at first, but once you realise that you stay in the big ring most of the time, you just get used to used to dropping to the small crank if you're spinning up a hill (I often do it when I decide to sit down halfway up a hill), and using the rest of the gears as necessary. It is VERY uncommon to find yourself out of gears if you are on the big ring most of the time.

MTB is a bit different, because you're grabbing much lower gearing, your speed is lower, and my experience with my wife's bike (triple 9 speed vs my compact 10) is that you don't get quite as much feedback, and you've got to check the trim situation a lot more. Maybe you'd benefit from seeing the gears... I think it's just easier though to provide the feedback for flatbars. I really don't need it much.

santacruzscott

Postby santacruzscott » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:47 pm

laserdirect wrote:Hi guys, first post in here....

I have a bike in the January shipment - anyone know if this is likely to be on time? If so, when?

Give CE a ring.

They are the only ones that can tell you how delivery time frames are going. :wink: