Reviews of the Azzurri Di2 Forza Pro from Cycling Express

paulz

Re: Reviews of the Azzurri Di2 Forza Pro from Cycling Expres

Postby paulz » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:41 am

Has anyone received their orders from the November or December shipments? Any comments on the bike?

bomber

Postby bomber » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:32 pm

I saw one on the northern beaches on Sunday so they are out there.

petal665

Postby petal665 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:36 pm

bomber wrote:I saw one on the northern beaches on Sunday so they are out there.

How did you know what shipment it was from?

Sven Nijs

Postby Sven Nijs » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:25 pm

petal665 wrote:

How did you know what shipment it was from?

The December batch comes with tinsel bar tape and a "Rudolph the Red" LED rear light.
It's a bit warmer here than Scotland isn't it!

Arlberg

Postby Arlberg » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:53 pm

The bike you saw on Sunday, was that person riding in the vicinity of West Head Road and McCarrs Creek Road?

MJS

Postby MJS » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:14 pm

hi guys i am interested in buying this bike but being my first roadie bike fit is most important to me.

i am 170cm tall and my inside leg is approx 82cm

which size should i go for, and is there anybody who does a good bike fit in NSW?

cheers

TDC

Postby TDC » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:18 pm

Hi

I am 169 cm with inseam of 79.5 cm. I usually ride frames with about a 53 - 54 cm cm ETT. also need to consider your flexibility and you preferred riding position, to take HT length into account. Some may choose to ride smaller frames to get more saddle to bar drop.

bomber

Postby bomber » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:48 pm

Arlberg wrote:The bike you saw on Sunday, was that person riding in the vicinity of West Head Road and McCarrs Creek Road?

On his way in that general direction. I passed him at Narrabeen but didn't seem him again. He was wearing running shorts over his bike shorts, dual pedals i.e. standard one side and MTB clipless the other. The bike appeared straight out of the box with little or no concession to fit at that point so while I can't comment on the exact batch it was most definitely a new arrival.

Arlberg

Postby Arlberg » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:47 am

bomber wrote:
Arlberg wrote:The bike you saw on Sunday, was that person riding in the vicinity of West Head Road and McCarrs Creek Road?

On his way in that general direction. I passed him at Narrabeen but didn't seem him again. He was wearing running shorts over his bike shorts, dual pedals i.e. standard one side and MTB clipless the other. The bike appeared straight out of the box with little or no concession to fit at that point so while I can't comment on the exact batch it was most definitely a new arrival.

Yeah that was me! So you don't reckon the bike looked like it fitted properly? What makes you think so? Just curious!

garbo

Postby garbo » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:46 pm

Yesterday I did an -inadvertent - experiment on what happens when the battery starts to go flat on the di2.

You can of course check battery charge by pressing and holding a shift, the little LED flashes to tell you how much charge you have, 100, 50 25 or 0%. For whatever reason I hadn't checked for a while. As it turns out when i checked the odo I'd done more k than i thought since i got the bike - 850k. I assume the battery was fully charged when the bike was new. I ride mainly northern Sydney with plenty of hills, and just shift normally, not trying to save the battery. If you rode in flatter areas you would get a lot more km I'd imagine.

I set off for a 90k loop from Windsor to Wisemans Ferry and back and 20k into it the FD wouldn't shift up to the big ring. A bit later it did do the shift, but not after that. So for the rest of the ride I was on the small ring, not a huge problem, and better than being stuck in the big ring, which I believe is a "smart" feature of the software. The good thing was that the RD continued to shift perfectly for the rest of the day, around 70k with quite a few shifts. When i checked the charge it was indeed reading 0%.

So i can't blame the di2, just my incompetence at not checking the battery, and it was interesting to find out what would happen when it started to run out of charge. I like the way it failed gradually and the RD kept shifting long after the signs were there that the battery was almost flat. Not sure how many more shifts the RD would have done, I've now charged the battery, took an hour.
Yeti 575
Azzurri Forza Di2

bomber

Postby bomber » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:28 pm

Arlberg wrote:Yeah that was me! So you don't reckon the bike looked like it fitted properly? What makes you think so? Just curious!

Ha I knew I was entering dangerous waters commenting on fit. Simply put the saddle height looked fine but he stem and bars looked at the top of their range i.e. straight out of the box. Admittedly it was only a brief look as we turned off and I was more interested in the bike but no offense meant. I certainly wasn't implying the bike was the wrong size rather it had room for tweaking the fit. Hope your enjoying it... I was impressed with what I saw!

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:22 pm

garbo wrote:Yesterday I did an -inadvertent - experiment on what happens when the battery starts to go flat on the di2.

You can of course check battery charge by pressing and holding a shift, the little LED flashes to tell you how much charge you have, 100, 50 25 or 0%. For whatever reason I hadn't checked for a while. As it turns out when i checked the odo I'd done more k than i thought since i got the bike - 850k. I assume the battery was fully charged when the bike was new. I ride mainly northern Sydney with plenty of hills, and just shift normally, not trying to save the battery. If you rode in flatter areas you would get a lot more km I'd imagine.

I set off for a 90k loop from Windsor to Wisemans Ferry and back and 20k into it the FD wouldn't shift up to the big ring. A bit later it did do the shift, but not after that. So for the rest of the ride I was on the small ring, not a huge problem, and better than being stuck in the big ring, which I believe is a "smart" feature of the software. The good thing was that the RD continued to shift perfectly for the rest of the day, around 70k with quite a few shifts. When i checked the charge it was indeed reading 0%.

So i can't blame the di2, just my incompetence at not checking the battery, and it was interesting to find out what would happen when it started to run out of charge. I like the way it failed gradually and the RD kept shifting long after the signs were there that the battery was almost flat. Not sure how many more shifts the RD would have done, I've now charged the battery, took an hour.

The front derailleur servo requires more power to operate and stops working before the rear derailleur which will default to the largest cog when there's no longer enough battery power to operate its servo.

Arlberg

Postby Arlberg » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:58 am

Simply put the saddle height looked fine but the stem and bars looked at the top of their range i.e. straight out of the box.

Now I am even more curious! Having only had the bike a few weeks and having hardly ridden it due to all the recent rain in Sydney I am still tweaking it for my fit and have actually put the seat up 10mm since you saw me as I didnt feel I was getting full leg extension when wearing cycling shoes and cleats. But I haven't adjusted the stem or bars at all and they are as they came out of the box. I have considered flipping the stem though, as I find the riding position a bit low, though this could just be that I am used to a more upright riding position on my old bike. (A hybrid).

When you say that 'the stem and bars looked at the top of their range', what do you mean by that? Again, No offence taken...just curious!

bomber

Postby bomber » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:27 am

Arlberg wrote:When you say that 'the stem and bars looked at the top of their range', what do you mean by that? Again, No offence taken...just curious!

Don't want to derail the thread so will send you a PM.

laserdirect

Postby laserdirect » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:09 am

Hi Guys,

super keen for my new ride in the January shipment - anyone from the December shipment able to say when they go theirs so I can work out how far mine is away?

Cheers

lucifuge

Postby lucifuge » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:15 pm

I take the geometry of this bike is closer to race than relaxed/plush?

BobInSA

Postby BobInSA » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:10 pm

I'm awaiting January delivery also for Di2 Azzurri. Has anyone received/not received Dec delivery??

ozzymac

Postby ozzymac » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:26 pm

I am thinking of getting hold of one of these.

So just wondering how the current owners are finding them now they have had them for awhile?

Cheers

Webbie

Postby Webbie » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:42 am

I'm part of the Feb shipment. Absolutely itching to get it! People from the Jan shipment have their bikes yet? Any more reviews?

spesh

Postby spesh » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:23 pm

Any more reviews on the bike? Thinking about this one as an upgrade from my Oppy A4 Tiagra 2 year old.

paulz

Postby paulz » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:13 pm

ozzymac wrote:I am thinking of getting hold of one of these.

So just wondering how the current owners are finding them now they have had them for awhile?

Cheers

My bike arrived in the middle of November. I have been out on it most weeks since then and have clocked up about 650km on it. Apart from charging the battery after it arrived, I have not yet had to recharge the battery and it appears that there is still plenty of juice left in the battery. Most of my riding has been on relatively flat routes...the occasional climb east of Perth thrown in there for good measure.

Do I have any regrets about getting this bike? No way. :D The shifting of Ultegra Di2 is nothing short of brilliant. It is reliable, accurate and quick. While some people will say that mechanical shifting can deliver the same result, I would without hesitation recommend the electronic shifting over mechanical...personal preference. When under some serious stress, Ui2 shifts effortlessly and reliably.

The current issue of Bicycling Australia Magazine has a review of the Ui2 system with a very favourable verdict...worth a read if you undecided about taking the plunge into e-shifting.

As for the rest of the bike...I can honestly say that I am happy with the overall feel of the bike. I have found it to be responsive when I decide to put the foot down. It has handled good speeds (upwards of 70km/hr) easily and yet is nice and light which is a bonus when heading up hill. It is more than capable of handling the sort of riding that I do on a regular basis. The introductory price is good value, when you look at what you get for your money.

ozzymac

Postby ozzymac » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:26 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I was begining to think nobody had bothered riding there's.

Looks like I will probably get one as I think the electronic shifting would be good to have. And as you said for the current price it's not a bad buy.

Just the waiting part will hurt.

Cheers

paulz

Postby paulz » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:42 pm

ozzymac wrote:Thanks for the reply.

Looks like I will probably get one as I think the electronic shifting would be good to have. And as you said for the current price it's not a bad buy.

Cheers

No worries. The waiting part is a killer. I ordered mine back in July and received it mid-November as part of the first 'October' shipment. The wait was hard, made worse by reading about others that had received their bikes!

ozzymac

Postby ozzymac » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:41 am

paulz wrote:
ozzymac wrote:Thanks for the reply.

Cheers

No worries. The waiting part is a killer. I ordered mine back in July and received it mid-November as part of the first 'October' shipment. The wait was hard, made worse by reading about others that had received their bikes!

Hi,
Just a question on the gearing?

Did you stick with the original gearing?

I am currently using 50/34 and I think it's 12/27 on the back.

So would it be worthwhile getting them changed on the azzuri?

As there are a few pretty steep hills around here.

Would you have to change both the cranks and cluster to the ones being offered in there upgrades?

Cheers

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:05 pm

Workmate ordered mid Dec, got it last Fri. Done an easy 40 km ride on bay to bay cycleway. He's very happy. Brought it to work for show n tell. Very tempting, if only it weren't black. Tyres are a bit on the heavy side ~ just over 8 kg for the large frame with cheap M540 pedals, but that's an easy fix.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia