bike recommendation for 7 years old

mirz

bike recommendation for 7 years old

Postby mirz » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:07 pm

Hi guys,

my young man is learning now without supporting wheels, and almost ready for his first bike.

i was looking at web, and found few Giant, Aventi, and Byke brand bike.

which one would you recommend on based of experience, thanks.
My ride: Giant TCR Advanced 1

bigfriendlyvegan

Re: bike recommendation for 7 years old

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:23 pm

My 7 year old is currently rocking a nice Giant with 24 inch wheels, 1 x 6 twist shifter, front suspension. She just fits it and she'll be using that for a few years to come, then my son can inherit it. It's very sturdy, even I ride it.

Pro-lite have a kid's 650c flat bar roadie bike and i think they even have a 20 inch wheel road style bike.

I like the Giant, and so does my girl.

Zynster

Postby Zynster » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:05 pm

My 6 yo is riding a Byk 350 and he loves it. It's a well designed and made bike. Tons better than the standard Kmart special.

The Giant Veer 20 looks good too. Very similar geos to the Byk. It has a 3 speed hub, which I'm not so much a fan of. I'd stick to single speed for a first bike. It's simpler. There is enough to learn without adding gears into the mix. The Byk's gear choice let's him get up hills ok, but stops him going too fast. I'm not a fan of coaster (foot) brakes. These seem endemic on bikes for this age. Makes it harder to get the pedal in the right position to start.

The Avanti Black Thunder 20 SS is the only one of these 3 that doesn't have coaster brakes.

You might find that the 20" will suit him now, but you'd get more longevity out of a 24" (albeit harder to learn on).
Fausto Coppi Reparto Corse | Giant Farrago Cross

high_tea

Postby high_tea » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:56 pm

Another vote for ByK here. Our 4yo is moving from a 250 to a 350 at the moment. His bike is actually the Team Racer, which features twin hand-operated brakes and no coaster brake. The transition from coaster to hand-brakes is a bit challenging for him, but the idea is to get it out of the way sooner rather than later. Anyway, I've been impressed by ByKs - light and well thought out. 2-3kg is a big deal when the rider weighs less than 20 :D

jbm

Postby jbm » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:11 pm

I have just gone through this with my son who turns 7 this weekend and gets to pick up his bike.

In the end his choice was the Giant 24 inch, I think colour had more to do with it but he tested several different bikes. He fitted a 20 inch perfect but there really was not much room for growth. Not sure what size bike you child is on now? My son is a competent rider but found the 24 very big to begin with, I think that's why he chose the last one that he tried as he was getting used to them by then. I also was happy with his choice as it only had one chain ring, do not think he needs 21 speeds and less chance of dropping a chain.

I really liked a Trek, the 24 inch had the ability to move the pedal up the crank. This is a great advantage as you can drop the seat as far as possible so they can touch the ground but it means that their pedaling action is compromised.

A few things I noticed were:
1. Make sure they can reach the brake levers, as stupid as it sounds lots of kids bikes we tried run adult size levers that can't be adjusted in far enough for kids hands;
2. Check what adjustments can be made to help make your kid fit, handle bars rolled back, shorter stem etc.;
3. Often the seat can go down much further if you take the reflector off that most bikes have on the seat stem.

As an adult though, kids bikes are all pretty dissapointing and heavy. Nowhere near as technically advanced as adult bikes and very little choice.

Zynster

Postby Zynster » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:50 pm

high_tea wrote:The transition from coaster to hand-brakes is a bit challenging for him
Strange. My boy will only use the hand brakes. I can't get him to use the coaster brake at all. Probably because he learned to ride on a balance bike that had a hand brake.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:59 pm

jbm wrote:As an adult though, kids bikes are all pretty dissapointing and heavy. Nowhere near as technically advanced as adult bikes and very little choice.
I agree... my son for his 8th got a MTB because he wants to race cyclocross. But with out paying silly money all that is available weighs a tonne!. Why a kid needs 2 kilo plus suspension forks I don't know!. Anyway it looks cool and he loves it... plus cyclocross and Rugby clash, he choses rugby over bikes for the moment :lol: .
Even harder is finding a pink ( or purple ) mtb for his twin sister, luckily she is happy on her 20 inch at the moment. By the end of winter I think he will fit his Mum's 26 incher so all problems will be solved.

Byke

Postby Byke » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:45 am

mirz wrote:i was looking at web, and found few Giant, Aventi, and Byke brand bike.

which one would you recommend on based of experience, thanks.
Another fan of ByK.

(Note it's not "Byke", which is our very useful - but completely unrelated - bike gear price finding website. Not particularly useful for kids bikes, but for nearly anything else…)

ByKs are typically a good couple of kilograms lighter than other kids bikes. If your youngster weighs 20kg then the difference between an 8kg bike and an 11kg bike is huge. (Imagine expecting an 80kg adult to ride a 44kg bike, because it wasn't worth spending $100 more for a 32kg bike. That's the equivalent of what our kids are dealing with.) They also have different geometry. Compared to a typical kids bike they are longer and lower, but with bigger wheels. So they are steadier than other bikes.
Zynster wrote:The Avanti Black Thunder 20 SS is the only one of these 3 that doesn't have coaster brakes.
The ByK Team Racer versions don't have coaster brakes.
jbm wrote: A few things I noticed were:
1. Make sure they can reach the brake levers, as stupid as it sounds lots of kids bikes we tried run adult size levers that can't be adjusted in far enough for kids hands;
2. Check what adjustments can be made to help make your kid fit, handle bars rolled back, shorter stem etc.;
3. Often the seat can go down much further if you take the reflector off that most bikes have on the seat stem.

As an adult though, kids bikes are all pretty dissapointing and heavy. Nowhere near as technically advanced as adult bikes and very little choice.
Did you check out ByK, jbm? The brake levers are adjustable, the components are suitable, and the geometry is markedly different, allowing the seat to be positioned much lower than with most other bikes. They're also much lighter.

Although if you really want a light, high-tech kids bike check out the 6.3kg, carbon-forked Redline Flight Mini.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:48 am

I have a 7yo and 5yo (big for age) now both on 20" mtb's, they have to have MTB like dad does :) . One a Giant 6spd, the other Avanti 7spd. They are of similar specs but I think the Giant has the edge on overall quality (not by much). Most reputable bike brands should have something in the range to suit with varying but very similar specs. Don't buy a dept store bike and expect the brakes to be easy to use or effective.

I have also oportunistically purchased an Avanti 24" (ebay and cheap) for 7yo. It's a little big for now, but he can ride it fine and will upsize when he's ready.

If your little one is still learning the 24" may be too big so aim for a 20" for a while. Buy a 20" second hand and sell later with little loss, they are always popping up on eBay and gumtree, where ours came from. I will have no problem getting similar money for the 3 that I bought, kids grow and bikes don't so people sell them.

+1 on reach adjustable brakes, my two really struggled with the hand brakes until they were adjusted (one ride around the garage). Suspension for 7yo is not necessary but seems to be cool for the marketing types and many kids bikes have it.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

jbm

Postby jbm » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:54 am

The byk's look good, would have certainly considered it but I never came across them here in Perth, and I went to lots of stores. I note on their website that they only have two stockists in Perth. One a toy shop where a bike snob like me would never go!

I love that Redline, could not convince the boy to get a BMX this time, not for lack of trying though. :!:

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:56 am

Byke wrote:ByKs are typically a good couple of kilograms lighter than other kids bikes.
Better than the majority, but still a kilo or two heavier than an Islabike, though I don't know anyone who sells them locally.

Radius Neo range seems fairly light, and a little cheaper (by both definitions of the term)
The ByK Team Racer versions don't have coaster brakes.
The E-350 version does have a coaster brake (not reflected in their specs but true of the model in store). Warren Key confirmed this with me.
The brakes on it felt rubbish though - heaps of cable drag.

http://fourtybikes.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; look nice.

Zynster

Postby Zynster » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:55 am

MattyK wrote: The E-350 version does have a coaster brake (not reflected in their specs but true of the model in store). Warren Key confirmed this with me.
The brakes on it felt rubbish though - heaps of cable drag.
The 350 definitely has coaster brakes. The Team Racer version didn't exist when I bought it 2 years ago. The hand brakes haven't been a problem. I had to adjust them, but that's pretty standard with a new bike. My boy has no problem using them.

mirz

Postby mirz » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:16 am

thanks guys for your input here. we went to Ivanhoe Mega Bike store last weekend, and checkout bikes. TBH i was there looking for bike for myself at the time.

but at the same time saw few for the boy. he wasnt much keen at that time, and was more looking into AFL bikes. i found them all very heavy, and nothing special. instant eye catchers for me and wife were Giant Veer (red), and Byk 450 (blue). they dont stock Aventi so will have to check that in Aventi store in Preston in week or so.

but i'm amazed to find out since that trip to bike store, he was so keen to learn bike riding without training wheels. he has a very small bike (target or bigw one), so i removed training wheel, and also paddels to make it balance bike for him. we spent few hours on driveway slope, and in start he was very scared. but next day all what he looking for a push to start and after that he was riding by himself for 30-40 m without an issue. this bike is way too small for him, cant move his legs (due to handle bar) so poor thing is riding with keep this knees out :)

none of his friends are riding bikes, so he is not fussed about suspension or gears.

his legs are 128cm, and inner seam is 51 at this stage.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:38 am

Zynster wrote:The 350 definitely has coaster brakes. The Team Racer version didn't exist when I bought it 2 years ago. The hand brakes haven't been a problem. I had to adjust them, but that's pretty standard with a new bike. My boy has no problem using them.
Warren Key via email 13/11/2012 wrote: Specs constantly vary according to supply. The newest version E350 bikes are coming through with alloy cranks and a cartridge bottom bracket.
In regard to the Team E350 model, that bike is now being phased into the regular version and price but keeping the name. Many of the virtues of the original team bike have become standard features on the regular model, except we have not carried over the freewheel rear wheel ( can be bought separately ) and the A head stem.

sblack

Postby sblack » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:53 am

I was looking at the ByK bikes recently for my soon to be 5 year old. Their claims of lighter weight and increased stability through a longer wheelbase and larger wheel sizes had me interested. Don't pay much attention to their stockists list on their website. I called the ones near me and they no longer stocked them yet another LBS which wasn't on their list did. Note the feedback from those that didn't stock them anymore was that they just didn't sell well enough.

Checking them out and as claimed they did appear to be smaller for the same wheelsize, or alternatively the same fit is a wheel size up. My son fits a 16 inch in any other bike and this was a comparible size to the ByK E350 with 18 inch wheels in terms of fit but with a longer wheelbase.

Their claims of 30% weight savings must be to steel models from other manufacturers though as another LBS which had the E450 (the 20 inch ByK) found it a little heavier than a Malvern Star MX20, which is Malvern Star's 20 inch alloy BMX. So there was a good chance that MX16 would be lighter than the E350 that where the options for my son.

The ByK also cost an extra $100 and the only thing it had that the Malvern Star didn't was the addition of the rear hand brake, Malvern Star was hand brake front and coaster rear. I personally could not see the justification for the extra cost. My son also preffered the Malvern Star so in the end it was no contest as which to get. Other manufacturers also have alloy models in the same weight and price range that would be worth checking out. Best bet is to take your son down to an LBS and check some out

Appears you've done that already as your post came up while I was typing this one.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:27 am

sblack wrote:Other manufacturers also have alloy models in the same weight and price range that would be worth checking out.
I suspect this is true, it is a shame noone publishes weights outside of race BMXs and Islabike. The E350 didn't feel particularly light, and I cound't feel a difference between the normal and the Team Racer.
Best bet is to take your son down to an LBS and check some out
I suspect this is true - you want them to love it, they're the one using it. Though I am sure my daughters' preference would be whatever had the most pink accessories on it :roll:

BrisVegas

Postby BrisVegas » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:30 pm

I got my daughter onto a 20" Avanti Black Thunder bike when she was 6 1/2, ie. last Christmas. It's got a low slung frame and is easy to standover, yet there's plenty of scope for growth. It's got 3 speed Nexus internal gears which is perfect for her needs. Her little sister is 5 and will probably move up to this bike in a year or two. At that point, I will see if the older one wants to go for a 24" mtb or something similar.
2004 Litespeed Tuscany Ti SRAM Force 2x10 & 2021 Bombtrack Hook EXT SRAM Rival 1x11

mirz

Postby mirz » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:09 pm

I'm inclining more towards 24" instead of 20" as few people told me to adjust 24" bike a bit to fit and it will go for a longer period. This way help me to spend extra on better bike.

I have checked both eBay and bike exchange for 2nd hand but not much there.

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:15 pm

mirz wrote:
I have checked both eBay and bike exchange for 2nd hand but not much there.
Might be worth having a look on Gumtree as there are usually a fair few kids bikes for sale.

Such as: Malvern Star kids mountain bike

mirz

Postby mirz » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:24 am

Actually found few good options on eBay and gumtree last night.

20" seems like the way to go at this stage. He is pretty happy to ride 16", will keep him on 20" for couple of years before moving on to 24".

heanous

Postby heanous » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:19 am

A lot of people told me to skip the 20 inch and go straight to the 24 for my girl, she's 8 in January and has been riding her Giant 7sp 24inch now for a year and a bit, it seems like every two months i'm sliding the seat up a bit more - they grow really quickly and I'm pleased we never got a 20.

Having said all this, she is tallish for her age, so i guess this is what it comes down to really.

sblack

Postby sblack » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:32 am

mirz wrote:Actually found few good options on eBay and gumtree last night.

20" seems like the way to go at this stage. He is pretty happy to ride 16", will keep him on 20" for couple of years before moving on to 24".
That's probably a good call. I know the temptation is always there to go the bigger size to get more life out of the bike but especially in the early stages of riding the right size of bike for how they are now, not what they'll grow into, is important. If it's too big they won't have the confidence to ride it and can easily be put off riding. They will happily keep riding a bike that's too small though.

mirz

Postby mirz » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:42 am

i used a 12" bike without paddels for him to learn balancing, and start riding. then moved him to 16" which fits him fine at this stage. so 20" will be perfect for next couple of years.

i can see with 24" he will struggle big time at this stage, which i dont realy want to happen.

mirz

Postby mirz » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:05 pm

Finally ended up with avanti black thunder in 20".

Started lessons on new bike already.

BrisVegas

Postby BrisVegas » Tue May 07, 2013 2:17 pm

BrisVegas wrote:I got my daughter onto a 20" Avanti Black Thunder bike when she was 6 1/2, ie. last Christmas. It's got a low slung frame and is easy to standover, yet there's plenty of scope for growth. It's got 3 speed Nexus internal gears which is perfect for her needs. Her little sister is 5 and will probably move up to this bike in a year or two. At that point, I will see if the older one wants to go for a 24" mtb or something similar.
My daughter is 8 this weekend and I'm looking at getting her a 24" bike. Not a mountain bike, just something light and easy to ride. Thinking about the Giant Veer 24" or the Fourty bikes, both with 3 sped Nexus. 2013 fourtys have alloy frames now, which should help bring the weight down a bit.

(My 5yo who turns 6 in August rides the 20" Avanti Black thunder no problems now so that will become her bike.)

I love the look of the fourty bikes. Are they worth $400 vs $300 for the Giant?? Not sure. I raced BMX as a kid, so I prefer that BMX style of the fourty, but it's not for me... :oops:
2004 Litespeed Tuscany Ti SRAM Force 2x10 & 2021 Bombtrack Hook EXT SRAM Rival 1x11