Childrens bike recommendation

reszo

Childrens bike recommendation

Postby reszo » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:15 pm

Hello all - looking for recommendations for 2 24' bikes for my kids as they have well and trully outgrown their old ones. My budget is preferably <$400 but I could stertch to $500 if necessary. I have looked at the Apollo Cougar/Panther and Avanti Black Thunder, but they all look similar to me. Gears are a must as we ride a few days a week through the local national park. A road bike would be cool, but have not come across any in my price range.

I am located in Sydney (Chatswood) but dont mind purchasing over the phone.

Thanks

mirz

Re: Childrens bike recommendation

Postby mirz » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:15 am

Checkout byk range as well:

http://www.bykbikes.com/kids-bike-range ... -bike.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Or malvern star
My ride: Giant TCR Advanced 1

AlMac

Postby AlMac » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:26 pm

My kids have had Giants in that size which I've been happy with.

Road bikes in 24 inch wheels (650cc) tend to be round the $1k mark.

Dedot

Postby Dedot » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:24 pm

Just purchased a trek 24" and 20" for my two boys. They are happy about it and finally got a proper bike.

As far as small road bike, have you check Fuji? I have seen a 24" fuji road bike. Also I have seen a 10/12 yr old boy riding a giant 650cc road bike. I was impressed, he was climbing up a steep hill with a back pack too. His parents must be a cyclist(s).

avikone

Postby avikone » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:20 pm

We have also been shopping for a 24" for our tall 8yr old son. Weight was a consideration for us as we live in a hilly area. We found it difficult to find a bike that was not a BMX nor a mountain bike - we won't be doing any off-road biking. I found the http://www.bikeexchange.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; site helpful to compare a lot of 24" models and prices.

We considered a Fuji Ace 24 $499 but this has racing handlebars so wasn't really suitable for recreational riding although we loved that it was lightweight and we didn't really want to spend that kind of money.

A friend bought a Giant XTC Jr 1 24" for $349 from http://www.innercitycycles.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - in Glebe, pick-up only. 7 gears which is plenty for that age group.

Hard to find out the weight for Giant bikes.

We settled on an XDS Lite Extreme 24" $299 from http://www.this link is broken" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; in Stanmore. I think they offer free shipping. It's listed as 11.6kg.

thejester

Postby thejester » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:37 pm

Bikes with riser style or BMX style handlebars are better if you want a bike for the child to grow into. They can be tilted backward so small child can reach them and placed more upright as the child grows.
Trek Madone 3.1
Giant CRX4 - Black Ghost
Shogun Trailbreaker3
I need a dualie

gdt

Postby gdt » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:02 pm

I ended up getting a 24in MTB bike and putting less knobbly tyres on it. She rides it to school, and the high tech tyres were worth it for the number of punctures they stopped.

Had real trouble finding a bike, and the one we got is still not great (too much heavy bling, like front shocks which are too cheap to work well). In retrospect, if I had to shop again I'd get a Byk.

Roinik

Postby Roinik » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:03 am

My children pretty much receive vintage and retro bikes. My daughter recently upgraded to 24" on a 1976 girl's bike that I had powdercoated and some parts re-chromed. I did splash out with new rims and spokes, plus I changed over her Sturmey Archer coaster 3-speed from her previous bike. Her bike looks a treat in green with white mudguards, rear rack and sparkling green hand grips. It's definitely a standout from the general rabble. Weight wise, I'd say that it is far lighter than the cheap store bikes. I expect her to have this bike for 4-5 years before she upgrades to a Raleigh Wayfarer (in the shed). Tyres aren't a problem because the wheel size is the same as a wheelchair, so I've shod it in 25-540 Schwalbe Marathon Plus variants. That choice should prevent any punctures and, being a road tyre, they roll very well. All in all I reckon I've paid a bit over $500 for the project and have a bike that should last another 40 years and several thousands of km easily.
You don't need the best kit, you just need the best attitude.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:49 pm

Roinik wrote:Tyres aren't a problem because the wheel size is the same as a wheelchair, so I've shod it in 25-540 Schwalbe Marathon Plus variants. That choice should prevent any punctures and, being a road tyre, they roll very well.
I've heard these tyres and very puncture resistant, but heavy, yet they still roll surprisingly well. Does she feel the extra weight or do they really roll so well as to counteract the weight penalty?
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Roinik

Postby Roinik » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:12 am

They ride differently to the 24 x 1-3/8 versions, probably a little lighter on the steering being narrower. She doesn't seem to notice any weight issues, especially when the bike is fitted with a 3-speed coaster hub and geared down a touch for the hills. The 24 x 1-3/8 bike I fixed up for a neighbour has standard tyres and deraileurs. My daughter's bike seems to roll better than that. By no means is it a racing bike weight to start with, given the frame is steel. If your child's bike has knobblies then the Marathon Plus is lightyears ahead of that option. People with wheelchairs swear by them.
You don't need the best kit, you just need the best attitude.