Balance Bike

silentbutdeadly

Re: Balance Bike

Postby silentbutdeadly » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:37 pm

markc77 wrote:What do you guys think?
The Byk E-200L and E-250L are more adjustable than the Giant in terms of seat height and bar reach (bar can be rolled) and better featured to boot. The Giant can only be adjusted for seat height...
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:50 pm

markc77 wrote: The shop sells both brands and others so I'm inclined to trust their recommendation.
10 bucks says they make more money on the Giant than the Byk. I'd be very, very surprised if the giant was better.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

V8rider

Postby V8rider » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:33 pm

You can adjust the bars up and down on a Giant Pre...or at least you can on the one I have. My 2 kids have thrashed the one we have, and my son has just about out grown it. At a guess you could probably run another 100 kids through it and it would still have life left.

My advice would be pick on price, either one will be fine, it's just a balance bike.

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:45 pm

V8rider wrote: My advice would be pick on price, either one will be fine, it's just a balance bike.
Yes and no. We started with a cheap(ish) one (older version of this) for our oldest and ended up getting her a decent one. Difference is night and day, better adjustability and lighter. She was never really comfortable with the first one, took to the second one like a duck to water. Whilst more expensive doesnt necessarily automatically translate to better, there is variation across balance bikes.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

V8rider

Postby V8rider » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:48 pm

I was meaning between the two (byk and giant), I think they're both very good.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:32 pm

My advice - go into into shop, make your child cry (optional), pick them up and carry them, then pick up the bike and carry it for 20 minutes. Choose the one that is easier to carry. Weight won't affect performance/ease of riding to any significant degree.

Avoid protruding seat posts that will clip their ankles.

Get something with a brake (or can have one retrofitted). Even if they won't use it til a bit bigger and more competent (say age 3.0-3.5), it is there when they can.

Also at that age (same as mine getting on a balance bike) don't expect them to be competent straight away. She will stack, she will be at slow walking pace for a few months most likely. Probably just standing astride it and walking, not even bearing weight on it.

mikedufty

Postby mikedufty » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:16 pm

Make sure the brake is on the back wheel, because skids are much more fun that way.

markc77

Postby markc77 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:59 pm

Thanks for all the replies, will keep them in mind when I go to buy it.

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:03 am

MattyK wrote: Weight won't affect performance/ease of riding to any significant degree.
Once they get used to it yes, but initially it can make a difference, especially for smaller kids. Miss just turned 4yo is 15kg wringing wet, was considerable smaller when she got her first balance bike at 2 & struggled with the weight of it. My godson however is significantly bigger but only 12 months older. Didn't get his first BB until 4 and threw it around like it was nothing from day dot (even though its pretty heavy)

markc77

Postby markc77 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:22 pm

I think I'm going to go with the Giant.

Serenem

Postby Serenem » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:40 pm

We ended up going with the Zippizap after a girl from mother group got one. It was this or the strider due to its weight. I dont want to be carrying around a 4kg bike when my son has had enough of it on day trips. After 6 months of abuse its still holding up well. The wooden ones look cool but there is something not right about a wooden bike.

Dreams V Reallity

Postby Dreams V Reallity » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:25 pm

No photos to show.
No 1 child Correction; First child taught herself to ride at daycare place - aged 3. Would take the bicycle to the top of the ramp at back door of house, and freewheel down to bottom. Slope was foot (30cm) drop over 3m.
After 2 weeks of this, she asked if we could borrow it and ride it at our place.
Daycare mum said yes, and pedalling happened soon after.
Now she's finished university, and has an old 1970's? Repco ladies bike, we'll just have to see if riding around Canberra gets her interested again.
D V R
Still Dreaming.

WheelGadget

Postby WheelGadget » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:52 am

Im Confused too.Planning to buy one for my 2 years old boy.