Upgraditis... for kids

ValleyForge

Upgraditis... for kids

Postby ValleyForge » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:13 pm

My 8yr old loves his alloy Trek 20 incher. I had been wondering wondering if I should step him up to a 24 incher though: he's at the 75% mark for height & weight so he's not far off.

As a compromise, I swapped out the 125mm cranks to 150mm and put a 14 sprocket on the back (down from a 17) and he loves it even more.
It's perfect for exploring the bike paths & creek banks. Now he doesn't want gears!

So upgraditis can hit at any time!
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

find_bruce

Re: Upgraditis... for kids

Postby find_bruce » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:50 pm

I was looking for advice on how to upgrade my kid, but it seems this is just about bikes, sigh.

I am quite taken by the pro-lite "TheOne" or the Fuji Ace - bunch of alternatives on this thread.

He is only 2 though so I still have a few years before I get to live out my dreams through him :mrgreen:

edit: should have added that n+1 appears to be a common for kids as well as bikes
Last edited by find_bruce on Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It doesn't get easier, you just get slower

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:56 pm

Bought my son a 24 mtb for his 8th birthday... but 1.5 years later he is already on his mum's 26 incher mtb without any issues... so his twin sister has inherited his 24. Hopefully that will do them both for a year or two!. Although he has made mumblings of racing CX in winter... I think rugby will keep his mind of that for the mo!.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:36 pm

My daughter (nearly 5) is close to needing a real bike. Colour is of course the most important consideration. I was shopping for chains for my own bike; she thought I should get a green one because that's my favourite colour. She was keen for a red chain for her potential bike.

My son is also in need of a bike upgrade - only 20 month old but always wants to put on his sisters helmet and try to stand over her balance bike... way too short to fit on a seat though, even on the smallest balance bikes.