Outgrown a 24" MTB. Where to next?

bychosis

Outgrown a 24" MTB. Where to next?

Postby bychosis » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:52 am

My biggest son is turning 11 this May. His current 24" Avanti MTB is at the limits of it's seatpost extension. Time for upgrades!!

I much prefer MTB riding, the boys like it too, so we want off road capable bikes. It will probably be second hand and I've got a good idea of what is good in the MTB world, but...

Kids that age want cool stuff. Is a dirt jumper something worth looking at, or not suited really to a skinny 11yo? or is a small XC bike a better option. I don't think we'll be doing epic trail rides for a few years, but want something that will easily cope on the trails.

I'd love to go all out and get a sweet dually, but budget and maintenance sense lead me to a hardtail. He'll need to prove he can properly look after a bike to get a really nice one. At the end of the day once he is big enough I would like to think that the garage will have a fleet of bikes we can 'share' with a cheapie for him for riding to school, taking camping etc.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

find_bruce

Re: Outgrown a 24" MTB. Where to next?

Postby find_bruce » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:05 pm

Fat bike :wink:
It doesn't get easier, you just get slower

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:08 pm

Probably not, looking for something a bit lighter!
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:28 pm

Small or medium XC hardtail in either 26 or 27.5. Start with the widest tyres you can manage in the frame and work back from there as handling skill improves.

Dirt jumpers have geometry for jumping big piles of dirt...not wandering fire trail or single track. It will hurt them. I have seen this. But I still have one hanging in the shed anyway!

Personally I'd start with any decent old frame and fit the best brakes and wheels you can find/afford.
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:21 am

Thanks. I have no experience of DJ frames and have really only ridden XC oriented MTBs. Will keep an eye out for a small 26" frame and (re)build most likely, after all building is much more fun!

MattyP

Postby MattyP » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:52 pm

My 11yo who's a tall lad has been riding a adult sized small hardtail for 18 months now. It's versatile enough to ride to school, bike paths and off road. My 8yo is close to outgrowing his 24" mtb & will likely get a hardtail next as well. They're not dirt jumpers though are happy to muck around at local skate/bmx park with their mtb's or scooters.

A sized small cx type bike though could also fit the bill.