Comfy seat for skinny young backsides

Mububban

Comfy seat for skinny young backsides

Postby Mububban » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:30 pm

Unfortunately my 7yo daughter has inherited my bony butt. We did our first double digit ride yesterday (11km) after which she complained of having sore sit bones. This hasn't arisen on shorter rides before but it got me thinking of gel seats like my wife has and swears by.

Has anyone bought a gel seat or seat cover in kid size? Some can be found online but curious if anyone has bought one.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Roinik

Re: Comfy seat for skinny young backsides

Postby Roinik » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:06 pm

Firstly, what is the riding position like? My daughter's is rather upright so she has a wide seat. Generally I prefer springs over gel, but it is difficult to find seats with light enough springs for children. She has a budget Reid seat, however you might want to consider something a little more plush. I have seen some old school black vynyl 70's style seats on ebay with internal and external springs. Those definitely are comfy for the posterior.

A more lean-forward profile requires a narrower saddle style. If you're after this then I can't comment.
You don't need the best kit, you just need the best attitude.

Mububban

Re: Comfy seat for skinny young backsides

Postby Mububban » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:58 am

Roinik wrote:Firstly, what is the riding position like? My daughter's is rather upright so she has a wide seat.
She's on a ByK E-450, sort of a long low flat bar roadie for kids. Fairly upright riding position.
As a guide to how her and I are built, my bony arse grinds out the seat of long pants over time. I don't split the seams, my butt cuts its way through the fabric :mrgreen:

My wife found a gel seat cover in kid size from Biw W's extensive range of Repco cycling gear. Took her out for 5km after I got home from work and she reckons it feels awesome. Time will tell but $19 well spent it seems. eBay would have been $40 including shipping.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!