Byk Bike - Which Size?

dammit

Byk Bike - Which Size?

Postby dammit » Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:55 pm

Hi all
My 5 y/o is still cruising around on a 12" strider balance bike, that he is wayyyyy too big for now.

I want to get him his first pedal bike, and after some research I think Byk is the best option (unless anyone has any other opinions).

Trouble is, I feel he is sort of half way between two sizes - the E-350 and E-450.

He is 124cm tall and has an inseam of 52cm (shoes on).

The E-350 seat height is 46-59cm, and E-450 is 59-73cm. Should the seat height be equal to the in-seam measurement or you can go a bit higher? Should I be getting the E-450? Would he be able to start riding it straight away or need to grow a bit first? Conversely, if I got the E-350 would he get much use out of it or outgrow it way too soon? He does have a younger brother that can have this bike as a hand me down in a year or so time...and I know buying smaller is often better than larger but I am just hesitant as I have read a few comments / reviews online from people saying their kid is 120cm and the 350 is too small ??

I am thinking of buying second hand too, is there anything particular to look out for ?

Thanks!

find_bruce

Re: Byk Bike - Which Size?

Postby find_bruce » Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:01 pm

Big 5yo - mine is 113cm & the 350 is good for him.

Where abouts are you? May be possible to try someone's out for size
It doesn't get easier, you just get slower

SheikYerbouti

Postby SheikYerbouti » Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:39 pm

Go to a shop and put him on each one to see?

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:48 pm

dammit wrote:Hi all
My 5 y/o is still cruising around on a 12" strider balance bike, that he is wayyyyy too big for now.

I want to get him his first pedal bike, and after some research I think Byk is the best option (unless anyone has any other opinions).

Trouble is, I feel he is sort of half way between two sizes - the E-350 and E-450.

He is 124cm tall and has an inseam of 52cm (shoes on).

The E-350 seat height is 46-59cm, and E-450 is 59-73cm. Should the seat height be equal to the in-seam measurement or you can go a bit higher? Should I be getting the E-450? Would he be able to start riding it straight away or need to grow a bit first? Conversely, if I got the E-350 would he get much use out of it or outgrow it way too soon? He does have a younger brother that can have this bike as a hand me down in a year or so time...and I know buying smaller is often better than larger but I am just hesitant as I have read a few comments / reviews online from people saying their kid is 120cm and the 350 is too small ??

I am thinking of buying second hand too, is there anything particular to look out for ?

Thanks!
If he was already riding a 12" confidently then the E-450 would be the go. However since he has not had a pedal bike yet I'd say get a second-hand 12" and put him on that until he is a reckless hoon. Once that happens then put him on the shiny new big bike.

Cheers,

Cameron

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:44 pm

My almost 6 year old is roughly 115cm (very roughly, I just measured him then while he was sleeping :D and he rides an E-350 with the seat post currently extended 9cm. He's probably due for it to go up another cm or so, we haven't done much winter riding.
The top of his saddle is roughly 55cm from the floor. I reckon if I dropped my 8 year old daughter's E-450 seat all the way down, it would be about the same height, but then the cockpit might be a bit long for him. She's not tall for her age, probably about the same height as your son.

The ByK frames are long and low so the standover height is low, and there's plenty of knee room, so I reckon he'd be fine on either. But the best bet is to take him into a store for a test ride.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

dammit

Postby dammit » Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:21 pm

Thanks for the tips all, I took him to a shop and he's definitely right for the E-450, can basically stand flat footed (seat is all the way down though), I was quite surprised as from their measurements on the site (and also I asked the company Byk) it seemed like it would be too big for him. Anyway that answers this question now :)

boyracer

Postby boyracer » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:11 pm

what is the seatpost size on these? a non riding friend wants me to buy a longer post for his son's 350. looks very skinny in the pics...22mm? I don't have the bike and he doesn't have a vernier.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:28 am

boyracer wrote:what is the seatpost size on these? a non riding friend wants me to buy a longer post for his son's 350. looks very skinny in the pics...22mm? I don't have the bike and he doesn't have a vernier.
My notes say 22.2mm as does "is this the best boys bike in the world?", but I am away on holidays & don't have vernier calipers with me.

If it has the original seat, you just need a straight pin like this one from pushys - the seat just slots on the top & is secured by a bolt through the post so you will probably need to drill a hole.
It doesn't get easier, you just get slower

boyracer

Postby boyracer » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:20 am

Thanks FB. my Google Fu was only bringing up the same PR blurb everywhere i looked. That was the size i suspected.
FYI- kerbside kids bike seats.... quick spray with vinyl paint and they are instantly black!

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:13 pm

boyracer wrote:FYI- kerbside kids bike seats.... quick spray with vinyl paint and they are instantly black!
My shire has just cancelled kerbside collection in favour of skip bin ordering on request :( Until Christmas 2015 (ages 5 and 7) my kids had always had kerbside bikes.
Another great Aussie tradition is slowly dying off :(
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!