To The Trailer Users Out There - Sun Protection?

ValleyForge

To The Trailer Users Out There - Sun Protection?

Postby ValleyForge » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:09 pm

I'm expecting an addition to the family, and the thought of a trailer/pram is looking mighty attractive.

How much sun protection do they afford? We're talking Brisbane here....
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

Mububban

Re: To The Trailer Users Out There - Sun Protection?

Postby Mububban » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:39 pm

I've got a Pacific trailer that's probably 8 years old at a guess. It's got a big mesh opening for airflow and view for the kids, so it also lets a lot of sun through. I'm in WA.

I also found that the fabric back rest is very floppy unless you shove something like a backpack behind it to give it some support, so when my kids were under 3 years old they'd end up hunched over like a little old lady. The helmet exacerbated things by pushing their heads forward.

Maybe modern trailers/buggies have better designs, but I don't think your little one will be very comfy in it until they're not quite so little any more.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:23 am

Mububban wrote:I've got a Pacific trailer that's probably 8 years old at a guess. It's got a big mesh opening for airflow and view for the kids, so it also lets a lot of sun through. I'm in WA.

I also found that the fabric back rest is very floppy unless you shove something like a backpack behind it to give it some support, so when my kids were under 3 years old they'd end up hunched over like a little old lady. The helmet exacerbated things by pushing their heads forward.

Maybe modern trailers/buggies have better designs, but I don't think your little one will be very comfy in it until they're not quite so little any more.
Ditto. My kids only wore a helmet once or twice before I ditched the idea due to heads being pushed forwards and had to put a cushion in so they didn't slump too much.

When it was hot the mesh on the front allowed a nice breeze in the face, but being enclosed at the back kept it quite warm. I added a couple of bits of pool noodle to keep the rear vent open and allowed a breeze to flow. My littlest hated the clear plastic down, even in the cold.

Not sure about sun protection, never really worried about it as they sit shaded by the top, or can wear a hat.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:12 pm

Thanks B & M.
It was just the seemingly unhappy combination of UV opaque fabric and this blocking view and airflow.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:15 am

We had a Croozer and opted for the extra sun shade that can be pulled forwards to provide a bit more coverage. I can't speak for other brands. Maybe sit the kids in one at a shop and think about it, especially for morning/afternoon sun at a low angle. It can get very hot inside a trailer if you keep the front window closed (and very cold if you don't - at least in Melbourne).

Congratulations btw.

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:56 pm

Since I am clearly a bad parent I didn't give sun protection a second thought. ValleyForge you do realise that you are a long way ahead in your thinking, unless you are planning on fitting some sort of capsule.

The law says that children in trailers must be fitted with a helmet. (I disagree with this but that discussion is off topic). As a result the child in question needs to be able to not just support their own head without whiplash from the bumps, but also the additional weight of the helmet. Kids need to be at least 12 months and possibly 18months old before their necks are strong enough.

As others have mentioned the bulk of a helmet also means that it sticks out behind their back, so the upright bit of the seat pushes their head forward. I used a 2-ring binder behind the children to provide support for the back, and create room for the helmet. Whilst the fancy trailers are without doubt better bits of kit, they are only used for about two years at the most, since most 4 year olds (and their parents) will prefer a trail-a-bike. On that basis I got a cheapie, and gave it away when it had outlived it's useful life for us. In my case my youngest moved onto the back of the tandem when he was two, with the eldest on a trail-a-bike behind.

http://s1253.photobucket.com/user/ironh ... ort=3&o=38

and that configuration lasted long enough to get them both onto their own bikes at the same time.

Cheers,

Cameron