Vivente Randonneur

Lonerider1968

Re: Vivente Randonneur

Postby Lonerider1968 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:44 pm

I have never had a buckled wheel and I am a heavy rider that is not gentle on my bike/s. The beauty of rock solid, hand built wheels I guess.
HEY! Let go my blouse!!!

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:51 am

Really? My wheel builder of over forty years mustn't be as good as yours ;)

Oh and I like the fact I don't have to rebuild my wheels when the rims wear down (I like to use other brands than Rigida)...

Lonerider1968

Postby Lonerider1968 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:55 am

Well, not entirely true......... Had my Velocity Deep V,s tweaked after some 15,000 k's a few weeks ago not that they were buckled.

CSS Andras....... No rim wear full stop as yet and highly unlikely to be....... We'll see....... First time I have used them.
HEY! Let go my blouse!!!

rog7681

Postby rog7681 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:13 am

australiantourer wrote:
singlespeedscott wrote:
rog7681 wrote:Yes, discs are on both ends this year...
http://www.viventebikes.com/main/page_p ... tolia.html

Just briefly on the discussion of how many gears you need to tour, I have recently committed the heresy of converting my vwr from nine to eight speed -- mainly to get a quieter transmission. My mantra: when riding my bike on a quiet country road, all I want to hear is tyre noise. My 7 speed mongoose hybrid has provided this for almost 20 years. Thin chains on busy rear clusters cost more, are less robust and in my experience are likely to be making noise that I resent -- subtle, but it's there. It's unnecessary, and mainly a result of marketing hype arising from a race-oriented industry.

imho!

I'm very happy with the conversion. The nine speed bar end selectors are up for sale, btw. I sure don't need 'em.

Out of interest... When you changed over to an 8 speed, did you have to change anything with the front rings?

australiantourer

Postby australiantourer » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:03 pm

zilch!

octagonalman

Postby octagonalman » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:56 pm

I've finally gotten around to giving the trekking bar/Deore derailleur version the clearance it needs:

http://www.overclockers.com.au/pix/inde ... e&id=mpytt

http://www.overclockers.com.au/pix/inde ... e&id=hjd7b

Finally there's no derailleur cage striking the crank arm when in the highest gear and tuned to avoid chain rub.

rich1642

Postby rich1642 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:19 pm

I'm considering a second hand 2014 Vivente Patagonia in XXL size. I'm just over 6'2" tall, but suspect it is a little big for me. The current owner is 6'4". The Vivente website puts my height right in the middle of the XL. My current bike is a 21" mid nineties Trek MTB which I find very comfortable, although it seemed a little small at first. I could quite happily keep on riding this, but getting 7 speed drivetrain parts is a bit of a pain. Is it likely a XXL would be too big for me?

If anybody tall in Sydney is interested in a Vivente tourer, here is the ad. It is out in Glenorie in the NW near Dural, so It is difficult for me to access for a test ride.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/glenorie/bicycles/vivente-world-randonneur-2014-xxl/1127675553

At $1400 with a front Tubus rack, it seems like good value considering the $2600 or so new price these days.

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:49 pm

Wow...that's pretty good buying for a 2 year old tourer.....can you get to Sydney to try it first? Might just mean the difference in getting a shorter stem to bring the bars closer perhaps....lots of things you could do to make it adapt to your size.
The other guy might have different sized torso or legs than you....if theres only 2 inches separating you and him, then it mightn't be too hard to adjust to your size.

I've got a 2013 with trekking bars but only one front mech disc brake and canti on the back...i'm loving it as they are good solid bikes...they have to be with my 112kg plus body on it......might get a new one in a year or two...just to keep up with the better gear.

Cheers

brumby33
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR -2013

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:59 am

rich1642 wrote:I'm considering a second hand 2014 Vivente Patagonia in XXL size. I'm just over 6'2" tall, but suspect it is a little big for me. The current owner is 6'4". The Vivente website puts my height right in the middle of the XL...... Is it likely a XXL would be too big for me?

Given the amount of exposed seat post; the number of spacers on the stem and the length of the stem itself, you'll have no trouble adjusting that one to fit you if there's only two inches in it. There's four inches of adjustment available in each of the above.

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:02 pm

rich1642 wrote:Is it likely a XXL would be too big for me?

Yes, I think it is. However I'm sure Noel McFarlane at Vivente would be willing to advise if you contact him.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

rich1642

Postby rich1642 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:38 pm

It is too big for me. I straddled another VR XXL today and the top bar was uncomfortably close.

I think I'll buy new. I don't like black bikes though so I'm going to get the frame repainted in either bright yellow or orange.

Return to “Vivente”