Panniers for daily commuting

outnabike

Panniers for daily commuting

Postby outnabike » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:08 pm

I fitted a couple of panniers to the VWR from this site.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/M-WAVE-DOUBL ... 27ddf3b595" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Most pannier bags of the cheaper type are joined across the top and in this way hang over the rack as Standard.

I could not find any cheaper bags than these, and cut the centre off and fitted an aluminium holding hook so that they just clip on as standard.At around $35-00 delivered it is a cheap experiment.

The lower simple clip strap is retained. I still have to apply a bit of paint and tidy the brackets up a bit.

Better quality bags to be used separately have nice easy clips to just hang off the rack and I adapted these for the same purpose.
These come with a couple of stiff inserts if that is what you need to lend the bags a bit of shape or can be compressed and used flat.
These bags are very cheap and only intended for shopping.
For the size and intended purchase, I like them, as it gets the centre of gravity down with a bit of weight on the bike.

I had 6 kg in both sides, and the bike handles well with these bags. It also means I can retain my standard removable little luggage holder for small items.
The dealer is local to Melbourne and I received them in two days.

The small slide on hard case bag is from Cyclingdeal of Hallam, and is around the $60-00 mark. I have had 6 kg of goods in that as well.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

ColinOldnCranky

Re: Panniers for daily commuting

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:13 pm

When I rode a bike I usually ran with pannier or paniers. The down side is that they add even more weight to the back wheel, especially with the short chain stays on perfomance bikes. More spoke problems.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

irrelevant_apple

Postby irrelevant_apple » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:48 pm

$45 or with another 10% off if vip. With warranty makes these a really good deal.

http://www.reidcycles.com.au/tioga-pannier-bags.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:52 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:When I rode a bike I usually ran with pannier or paniers. The down side is that they add even more weight to the back wheel, especially with the short chain stays on perfomance bikes. More spoke problems.
Yes, I can see this with a performance cycle. The VWR is about 150 to 200 mm longer in the wheel base measurements centre front wheel to centre rear wheel. It also has a longer chainstay in comparison to even say a cross bike, due to that built in wheelbase.
The rear wheel is also heavier duty with a stronger rim and contains more spokes to take some weight.
These bags are also raked back at the heel to help with heel distance.
They are certainly a cheapy but only for a shopping trip over not great distances.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:03 pm

irrelevant_apple wrote:$45 or with another 10% off if vip. With warranty makes these a really good deal.

http://www.reidcycles.com.au/tioga-pannier-bags.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am sure you will get great service from those bags as well. I bought what suits my existing equipment.... :) and to me it is still $15-00 cheaper and doesn't interfere with my slide on case.