Vintage and Retro Malvern Star

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Vintage and Retro Malvern Star

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:06 pm

For classic, Vintage and Retro Malvern Star discussions, Retro biking is also a great resource. Of course you may post everything around Malvern Star bike (old and new) here - though worth checking Retro Biking as well.
Cycling is in my BNA

Jack08

Re: Vintage and Retro Malvern Star

Postby Jack08 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:18 pm

I have just acquired a 4 Star BSA Malvern Star. It has theserial number 296S on right rear fork. Was a track bike I'm pretty sure. (Grandfathers) and appears to me to be a lightweight version. BSA on pedals. Navy Blue with ornate pinstriping. Brooks B17 Sprinter seat and is in great condition. Has my grandfathers name hand painted on the crossbar which took very close inspection to notice that it wasn't painted at the same time as other decals. Unfortunately 6-8 wheels were stolen from in the very recent future (Victoria). Can't find anything yet about 4 stars and would like to know its age. Thank you.
Jack08

bicyclepassion

Postby bicyclepassion » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:16 pm

Post pictures, or email pictures to me on bicyclepassion at bigpond.com. I should be able to help. Warren

Ocean81

Postby Ocean81 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:33 pm

Hi all. Newbie here. Surfing for info for my 2star. Seat post serial no. 38497!? Any info?

pirateandy

Postby pirateandy » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:10 pm

hey guys. want to post some pics of my 1946 3 star bike but really am not good at using computers. any help in getting me there would be great
pirateandy

trackside

Postby trackside » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:44 pm

Novice9

Postby Novice9 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:03 pm

Hey all ive got a single star on the frame not a plastic badge
6mt 655
Looks like a penny farthing for kids
Any body know an age bye the serial number
Thanks

Paul G.

Postby Paul G. » Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:37 am

Hullo Warren. My 3 Star has a cracked down tube, about an inch down from the lug at the bottom of the steering head. Are you able to braze in a new tube, please ? And then repair / align the frame & forks as ness., and repaint ? I would like a full restoration if you would, thanks. Also, can you supply new 27 x 1 1/4 " alloy rims, 36 hole, maybe 40 hole ? Cheers. Paul.

wrd7105

Old Malvern Star Kids bike

Postby wrd7105 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:01 pm

Hello, this is my first time on this forum.
I am restoring an old Malvern Star 2 Star kids 20" step through bike that I have come across.
Serial number on the seat post clamp is 8M 18646
I have had a lot of trouble trying to determine the age of this bike.
I cannot even find a picture on the net of this bike.
Could someone please help.

bikeboy3

Postby bikeboy3 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:49 am

Hello all,

Im new and just trying to get some info on an old Malvern Star i have. Can anyone tell me roughly the age
they think this SL 500 Side mount model is. Its in really good condition and still has original white walls on it, cant read
the name properly on the rubber but its something or other rubber co. Any help to work out the bikes age would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

ImageImage

SimoneF

Postby SimoneF » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:33 am

I a new too, and I also have a Malvern Star bicycle that my dad bought around 1980, rode from (WA) Scarborough to Bassendean daily for work for a year.
Decals say Malvern Star and the top tube says Evolution, my question is, is this a legitimate Malvern Star model? As I cannot find any reference or picture of it on the internet!? Could it be a fake or maybe no t many photos were taken of it a the time?

It has a flat handle bar, SIS gearing, the steel tube paint work is grey with squiggly lines, kick stand and had a wide style back pannier.

Was in really good condition (kept indoors) and so I took it into a neighbourhood bike store that said they could 'refurbish bikes', I will not name them, and all they simply did was paint the handle bar/stem/fork in black and replace the chain, seat and brakes with generic 'Giant' branded products, suffice to say I was extremely disappointed, as maybe I hadn't explained myself properly that I really wanted it converted to a nice looking road bike. So I paid my $400 and half way home the pedal fell out.

Turns out my dad said 'oh yeah by the way the pedal had rounded of at the joint and it falls out a few minutes after tightening", so that leads me to believe the bike store did not do a full restore as they would have noticed that problem!

So off to a different bike store who fixed this problem immediately with an entirely new crankset and chain ring. The guy remarked that it looked like I had spent way to much money (aka ripped off) on the new bits, but having been burnt by the initial 'rebuild' was reluctant to let them have a go at making it more cool.

Should I strip it to the frame, rebuild it from there and turn it into a nice road bike with chrome Quill, drop bar and more gears? I ask this because I think it might be a hybrid bike but would it still work? Been watching few YouTube videos, so I could give it a go, or should I try a third time to give it to a professional bike restorer?

Maybe I was misunderstood being a gal, but I really want to upgrade it as I don't have a car and I only ride bikes, my current Scott Foil 20 is fast but not handy and I need to get this steel bike going to cart things around (it has eyelets :)) the Foil now that I think about it was an impulse (aka badly though out) buy, in reaction to having my Scott CX Comp (best bike I have owned) stolen the previous week, 2 years previous I had my Giant Hybrid stolen as well, hence my desire to get this treasured bike tip top - its really irking me.

Simone

Fly63

Postby Fly63 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:04 pm

Hi i have a malvernstar serial number 11403. I recieved it as a gift 30 years ago. Any idea when it was made? Original condition. Any idea on value ? I have details of original owner.

Cheers Fly

Chris Walters

Postby Chris Walters » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:55 am

Hi There
I have a vintage Malvern Star serial number 40555, can you tell me what year it is?
Thanks
Chris

hippie58

Postby hippie58 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:24 pm

I work at the Roseworthy Agricultural Museum, we have just acquired a grinder utilizing a bike frame as the drive method. The frame has M C C Star on it, is this a Malvern Star. Any idea on age?

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:54 pm

hippie58 wrote:I work at the Roseworthy Agricultural Museum, we have just acquired a grinder utilizing a bike frame as the drive method. The frame has M C C Star on it, is this a Malvern Star. Any idea on age?
Are you able to post any pictures ? Instructions on how to post

hippie58

Postby hippie58 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:22 pm

https://postimg.cc/gallery/kbeqz2d6/

I took a pic of the headstem, has MCC Star Gawler Place Adelaide on it.
1951 is the only stamped no I can find.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:33 pm

hippie58 wrote:I took a pic of the headstem, has MCC Star Gawler Place Adelaide on it.
1951 is the only stamped no I can find.
Interesting. Clearly not a Malvern Star - adding star to a name was pretty common. From what I can see from trove MCC Cycles were a shop at 134 Gawler Place, Adelaide. Haven't been able to find a decent ad though, so perhaps they were a small shop

hippie58

Postby hippie58 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:01 am

I did find a small ad on Trove dating from the 1940's.

Unsubride

Postby Unsubride » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:40 pm

WTB - Left Hand cottered double fluted chromed crank 165mm by BSA for 1950 racer. Also 27 x 1 1/4 Dunlop special lightweight chrome rim (or front wheel).

Anyone?