Restoring a Malvern Star 2 bike

BeginnerBiker

Restoring a Malvern Star 2 bike

Postby BeginnerBiker » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:27 am

Hello,

I don't know very much about bikes but recently got given this old Malvern 2 Star. I originally thought I would restore it to ride but the frame is too heavy for me. I had a friend say it could be worth a bit so have decided to restore it to sell but also to learn about bikes along the way.

I'm not expecting to make a fortune but don't want the restoration to cost more than the bike is worth so am looking for some advice.

I am wondering how much work this would need, how to go about it (where to start?!), and also an idea on how valuable it actually is.

The seat is not an original part I don't think (made in Taiwan). It still has its rearview mirror (!), light, and little bike repair kit attached with the tools inside.

Any help/advice would be very much appreciated! I would take it to a bike shop but because I don't have much knowledge on this Im worried I'll be ripped off?

(sorry some of the pictures are blurry- not sure what happened there)

Paul G.

Re: Restoring a Malvern Star 2 bike

Postby Paul G. » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:11 am

Hello. I was wondering how you are getting along with rebuilding / restoring your 2 star Malvern Star ? A pity you've had no replies in the 10 months since you posted.
At least you have a reasonable bike to start learning from. Is it finished yet ? What hold-ups, difficulties ?

mcfixy

Postby mcfixy » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:42 pm

hi there ..first time Ive "blogged" ever..so hope this works ok
anyway I got a ladies similar 2star 28inch wheels...
All I learnt so far is powdercoating is forever so goodbye patina..
somewhere on this bloggy thingy i saw dicussion about numbers ofr when made
cant seem to find it..keep bearings orientated to original direction .mark one side front axle
and crank axle...found a product at bummings called 'Reducteur" realease spray in tool section
$30 its French it works along with heat gun.. left hand side pedal axles and bottom bearings
are "reverse" thread . I Broke plastic tyre levers trying to get 28' tires on
cant get pictures to go on here

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:00 pm

mcfixy, the good news is that you are not a blogger yet. Perhaps a forum member who has completed the first post within the thread (topic).
(Blogging would be your online diary as in 'web log')

For images, the following may help: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=23303" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In the search you may have some joy finding other posts.

Otherwise welcome, and I hope you enjoy this valuable resource.

Christopher
Cycling is in my BNA

Paul G.

Postby Paul G. » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:51 pm

Here's a little ditty to help remember the B/B ( Bottom Bracket ) threads:

" The right hand pedal has a right hand thread,
And the left hand pedal has a left hand thread.

{ And for the B/B cups, the threads are the opposite }

The right hand cup has a left hand thread
And the left hand cup has a right hand thread ".

There's no such thing as a 'reverse' thread - it's either left or right hand.

Cotter pins are inserted from the top, down into the crank, with the crank arm pointing backwards, parallel to the chain stay.
Use a block of wood with a hole drilled or chiseled in the top, to support the crank axle when removing or inserting cotter pins.
The hole allows room for the old pin to drop in. A length of heavy pipe, cut square across the ends, will also work well.
You will just need an extra pair of hands to hold the bike while you operate the hammer. This method helps to avoid
bending the crank axle by over-exuberant use of the hammer.