Oppy ES Di2 2014 (matte black/white) for $3K opinions please

linelevel

Oppy ES Di2 2014 (matte black/white) for $3K opinions please

Postby linelevel » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:15 pm

Hi, great forum!

I am looking at a brand new Oppy ES Di2 in matte black/white for $3K new through a friend at a shop. I have been commuting for about 2 years but have only ever had flat bar road bikes and a banged up old road bike on loan so it's time to upgrade. I'm not an expert on bikes and parts but want to buy something around the $2,000-$4,000 range so could anyone offer me advice on this purchase? Is it a decent price or could anyone offer an opinion on an alternative bike that's either cheaper with the same components/features or the same price with better components/features?

Thanks very much

Xplora

Re: Oppy ES Di2 2014 (matte black/white) for $3K opinions pl

Postby Xplora » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:45 pm

You need to reconsider wheels and warranty in that price range. Racing wheels aren't cheap, and you can use the crappy wheels from your old bikes to train with (except they won't be 11spd, doh)... you also need someone to back you up, and I'm not sure what Malvern Star does for warranties. 4000 bucks would get you a Madone 5.9 on special with same drivetrain but solid wheels and great warranty... I look at it like this - your drive train is worth around 1200 bucks. Your wheels are worth 250 on that bike. The rest of the bike is worth 1500 bucks at that price. Is that value? I don't think so. Ride it, see what you think. I get the impression you won't be replacing this in 12 months, so think long term.

linelevel

Postby linelevel » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:19 pm

Thanks a lot for your input. I was looking at the Domane or Madone 5.9 before this bike became available. My local shop has a 2013 Oppy ES frame for sale for about $500 so using your logic that would leave $1050 for the rest of the parts which does seem a lot to me. I won't be racing with this bike any time soon but will be riding it a lot for commuting and leisure/fitness, do you have an opinion on a Domane 5.9 vs a Madone 5.9?

Cheers

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:44 pm

Ultegra Di2 groupset is worth around $1500 alone, plus frame, plus wheels. $3000 is probably the right price. Malvern Star have lifetime warranty on their frames and they honour it, I had one replaced and their service is absolutely impeccable. I got an upgraded frame and all within a week.
Not sure why you would want Di2 ...I suppose mechanical versus electric shifting is another argument, but IMHO mechanical is less hassle, cheaper and works brilliantly for what you would be using it for.
Im a MS fan but I wouldn't buy the ES, I wouldn't pay 3 grand and ride on Aksiums. Depending on where you live I would point you to a good LBS who would set you up on a Giant /Trek / whatever with mechanical Ultegra and some decent wheels.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:52 pm

Di2 is a GREAT way to burn another 1000 on the groupset than you would expect. If you want to be a cool kid at the cafe, deep dish wheels and Campag record will get more admiration for similar price lol

Get a Domane. No question. Comfy bum equals win for commutes.

brendan c

Postby brendan c » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:28 pm

I had the first carbon ms about 5 years ago, 105 for $2k which was better than anything else at the time.
They pretty much all cracked at the top tube/seat post junction and there were no dramas with the lifetime warranty.
What saddle is on it? coz the home-brand saddle on mine was a fizik aliante rip off and really comfy, much comfier than what trek put on 5 series madones of which I'm now on my second after getting skittled while riding the first.
I busted a rear hub in the aksiums it came with after about 8000km, but they completely redesigned aksiums only a year later, so no idea on their durability.
The replacement I got was noticably flexy but I got out of D grade and into C while riding it, apparently Huon-Genesys were on the same frame when Nathan Haas dominated the NRS.
All that being said.... I have no idea about the quality of the current frame. Who knows what it's like compared to the other usual suspects who also do ripper deals on Ultegra Di2: Cell/Azzuri etc... Similar specced Azzuri is cheaper and has better wheels last time I checked.
Bike exchange has the 2013 for 2799, but it's got the old 10speed stuff on it.

linelevel

Postby linelevel » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:13 am

Brendan whats your opinion on the similarly priced Cell Omeo 2.0 2014 model. Seems to have all the fruit and better wheels than the Oppy but I don't know a whole heap about what to look for.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:13 am

Brendan and I ride the identical model trek so he is your best bet for comparison info. Mine is the good colour though :mrgreen:

Fr this cash you really need to ride the bikes setup for you. We've mentioned the group ad wheels because they are very very relevant and independent of the frame cost, and honestly it's just as important as the frame for comfort and speed.

grimbo

Postby grimbo » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:31 am

I've got an Oppy C5 (2010) and Madone 5.9

- the C5 has a stiff frame, gives quite a bumpy ride. Quick, slightly twitchy handling
- the madone has a beautiful smoth ride that soaks the bumps. Very assured but responsive handling
- the madone sure does fit me better
- the Madone is more than double the price of the C5

Conclusion. Jeez, I dunno.
"If I can bicycle, I bicycle" ~David Attenborough

mogwaiboi

Postby mogwaiboi » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:26 pm

I have read some pretty good things about the Omeo, this being an example http://cyclingtips.com.au/2014/02/cell-omeo-2-0-review/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. I think you need to take the Cell and Trek for a ride and see how they feel. Ride the electronic and mechanical and see if you think it's worth the extra coin. Also ride SRAM and see if you prefer the doubletap. If it was me I would also look at Focus, BH, Merida, Cannondale, Scott, Specialized, BMC. You have a heap of options up to the 4K mark..and you also have the option of an aero / racing / gran fondo style frame to add to the confusion. For me the way the bike looks plays a big part as sometimes you see a bike and it's love at first sight :-) You could always look at getting wheels online after the fact. I did that with the Shimano RS80's and ended up eventually buying another pair for the other bike.
Avoiding pissed of bogans in SUV's...

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:44 am

I am in the market for a new bike, and I have my eye on the Omeo 2.0. But for me it will be for racing and weekend rides... not for commuting. I will continue to use my current bike for commuting. I don't think the Omeo would be the best choice if commuting was the main use. Having said that, the Omeo looks like great value. I plan to add some nice aero wheels which will bring the cost to around $3.5k which seems like a bargain for a 7.5kg Di2 equipped aero bike.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:00 am

I'd be real careful about what you choose Adrian, you're a powerful rider and might not appreciate a carbon noodle, or something that doesn't feel good. Omeo might be great, Azzurri might be good too. I'm not dissatisfied with going cheaper group and better frame though, even if I do quietly wonder about going Campagnolo 11spd in my quieter moments...

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:44 am

I have not done much research to be honest Leigh, but what research I have done was aimed at the $3-5k range for an Aero bike and with Di2 and <8kg. My current bike is a bit random in that I just bought it from someone in my car club who was not using it. It is an older (2008-9?) carbon Potenza (Made by EMC?) that is a little too big for me, and has done me pretty well so far. Just after something that is racier geometry and lighter and more aero. I am pretty happy with mechanical shifting, but the reason for DI2 is because I will be planning to get some TT bars (full bar set, not just clipons), and it should be pretty quick to swap bars over with Di2 compared to cable. I don't want a TT bike ($$ and space), but I want to be able to try a few TT events and go quick on the motorways from time to time (Would also be great to do an M7 path south run solo at < 60 minutes!!)

Before the Omeo was released I had my eye on the Polygon A9/A9X. It is a shame they don't have the A8X in Australia. The A8X would be a 7.5kg Ultegra Di2 with Cosmic 50mm wheels for around $3.5-4k. The A9X is nicer, but $5.5k, which is cheap for Durace DI2 bike, but expensive enough to start thinking about bigger names. The A9 is mechanical Durace, but seems like a good deal at $4k. I prefer to save cash on Ultegra over Durace, but no option in Oz without the A8X.

The Omeo 2.0 looks great in that it is Ultegra Di2 11 speed with the mid compact front rings (36/52), around 7.5kgs, and the reviews say the frame is stiff and seems to have OK aero. I don't really need the wheels it comes with as I have something equivalent to them already, so would probably sell them ($3-400?) and get some Durace C50s for around $1600. I already have some Durace C24s that I would use for tight crits (lots of accelerations) and hills, and then use C50s for flatter courses and more open crits.

That post got more long-winded than planned!! Any bikes I have not considered that should be? I am probably pretty powerful for a 70kg rider, but I am no 90kg powerhouse, so I probably don't need the stiffest frame out there. I would guess I put out about 1000W peak. Strava has me hitting 1300W estimated in some sprints, but I suspect that is reading over.

linelevel

Postby linelevel » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:08 pm

Loads of info here, some of it above my head but thanks a heap! I will be riding this thing mostly for commuting about 200-250kms a week and also getting into group rides soon and some charity rides maybe 3 or 4 a year. I realise what I'm after might be slight overkill for this ratio but I've been through 2 classes of flat bar road bikes and a crappy alloy road bike so I want to upgrade to something I won't be changing again in 12 months or even a few years.

Pity I can't test a Cell Omeo in Perth (or can I?) =\ That is a really decent deal for the price I feel. Off to the shops tomorrow for some test riding, thanks again.

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:36 pm

The Omeo is unbeatable value for money. Just a question of whether the geometry and stiffness will be ideal for commuting and longer rides. You could probably lift the stem and set the bike up for a more comfortable position, and run 25mm tyres at 90-100psi to overcome any discomfort from the stiffness. You could probably make it work for your intended use if you wanted to go that way, but there may be other options that will have you feeling better at the end of the ride if all out speed and handling is not your aim.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:45 pm

Really have to ride the bikes in question, because of what grimbo said. Specs tell you how big the bike is and what they put on it. Doesn't tell you if you want to ride the thing more than 50kms. As soon as we talk 3K+, there are a lot of bikes that could potentially suit. Especially if you consider second hand. Titanium! The butt is the real decider, not the price tag once you hit this range.

TT Bars is an extremely good reason to go Di2, but you'll want C75s or 808s if you are TTing not 50s hehehe

linelevel

Postby linelevel » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:48 pm

As attractive as the Cell bike is being in Perth I'm not willing to drop that much coin on something I can't touch before I buy. My main goal is to cut 10 mins from my commute time each way by mid/late year and do some regular group rides so a race specific bike seems to be an ill informed choice for me, I am still very new to bike technology. I think I'll hit up my 2 local shops tomorrow and test some bikes out armed with the info I got here and some online pricing as a comparison.

Max respect everyone

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:11 pm

Don't write off the road bike idea, any Giant/Trek/something brand name with Ultegra will be a great bike. Make sure you get the cassette and crank and etc you want. You'll be happy.

DTdotcom

Postby DTdotcom » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:06 pm

IMO the latest MS frame is far inferior to the previous edition.

macca33

Postby macca33 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:48 pm

Xplora wrote:I'd be real careful about what you choose Adrian, you're a powerful rider and might not appreciate a carbon noodle, or something that doesn't feel good. Omeo might be great, Azzurri might be good too. I'm not dissatisfied with going cheaper group and better frame though, even if I do quietly wonder about going Campagnolo 11spd in my quieter moments...

Agree in relation to the Omeo - the test I read - cannot remember which publication - mentioned flex in the frame, so it would be well worth a good test before laying down the cash.

cheers
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:02 pm

But what if you have only ever ridden one road bike (Potenza which I think is rebadged EMC), and it could be the flexiest frame known to man, but you do not know any better anyway? I would love to borrow an OMEO for a week or two and get some good long rides in on it, but that is unlikely to be an option. I suspect it will be stiffer than what I ride currently. The reviews I have read seemed to indicate flex was not an issue, but comfort may be as it was quite stiff.

It would be great to get some longer rides in on all the options, but that can be difficult to arrange (I could probably ride a few kms around the Cell store, but need to get 50+kms really). Many offer a money back satisfaction guarantee if they are online also.

At the end of the day, I am not fussed on brand names in the least. Sure I will take something with a nice name if it is not any more expensive, but really I just want something that ticks as many of my boxes for the cheapest $$$. With the Omeo or similar I tick more boxes for the same $$$, but if it does not ride any good, that changes everything.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:05 pm

Here is the thing - once your budget is 2-4K, and the shop knows it, it is worth their time to encourage you to spend 4K with THEM, and not the Internet. You will actually notice the difference in the frames very quickly. I think you'd be well served to visit Bike Barn, Kangazilla and Trek Rouse Hill to test their bikes (I believe they all have different brands). Trek gives you the possibility of trying very similar geometries and models in different sizes... I find my 56cm Madone is quite a bit nippier (like a LOT nippier) than my 58cm was... I like nippy, the Madone isn't a particularly twitchy frame so it works.

Dirty32

Postby Dirty32 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:32 pm

Where abouts in Perth are you, linelevel?
What size frame are you needing?

linelevel

Postby linelevel » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:11 am

Went for a rap on the Oppy, bought a 56cm with Fulcrum 3's for $3,100. Feels good so far will take it on a long ride sat and get a proper fit at my physio, thanks for all the help =)

Dirty32

Postby Dirty32 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:28 pm

Did you test ride anything else?

Not that it matters now, but Giant in the CBD have some pretty awesome deals on at the moment.
They have a 13 / 14 TCR Advanced 0 with Ultegra Di2 (10sp) in Large for $2500. Good buying!

Anyhow, I guess it doesnt matter too much anymore. Happy riding!