An old Malver star?

Golato

An old Malver star?

Postby Golato » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:32 pm

Hi!

I have been thinking about riding to work maybe once a week and then the casual weekend ride once a month.

I want a road bike and have been looking at the classic ones, like malvern stars.

I have found a geo dynamic malvern start in ok conditionon for $85 without tyres, and an Elite for $50 with tyres :p.

Any comments abiyt those bikes? Do you guys think is a good start? Dont want spend heaps of money at the moment... cheers

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: An old Malver star?

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:49 pm

For a second hard bike, the question you need to ask is how much will it cost to make it roadworthy. It may need new gear and brake cables, new chain and also a general service. Don't be surprised if you get quotes from a bike shop that send you back double or triple the purchase cost. hard to tell without knowing the condition.

You need to weigh it against the cost of a new - but budget bicycle for (e.g.) $200 - $300 which comes with a service and warranty. (To confirm, not a supermarket bike, they are rubbish - but from one of the Australian brands that sells low cost bikes).
Cycling is in my BNA