[VIC] Compact Crankset

Looking for a special bike, parts or gear, ask here.
Forum rules
Newbies, please read the Market Place Rules before posting in this section.

POST FORMAT: [LOCATION] description (WTB not required)

[VIC] Compact Crankset

Postby im_no_pro » Wed May 29, 2013 3:51 pm

Looking into getting a set of compact cranks to get me back into the swing of things in the leadup to around the bay later in the year. Need to be compatible with GXP BB (it's going on one of these) - thought I would throw it out to BNA to see if anyone has a cheap set lying around that they dont need while im waiting for the couple of new sets I have my eye on to come back in stock on the UK sites.

Dont plan on using these a lot so cheaper = better. Arm length isnt critical, let me know if you have something. I'm in Geelong but work in Altona most days, willing to travel (within reason) for the right cranks at the right price.

Edit: should point out, willing to buy iutside of vic also if postage isnt frightening..
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.
im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

by BNA » Wed May 29, 2013 9:49 pm

BNA

Re: [VIC] Compact Crankset

Postby coffeeandwine » Wed May 29, 2013 9:49 pm

Chain Reaction Cycles have "upto 50% off components" ATM
Merida 903 from the LBS; Diesel engine
coffeeandwine

Postby familyguy » Thu May 30, 2013 9:00 am

familyguy

Postby im_no_pro » Thu May 30, 2013 9:55 am

coffeeandwine wrote:Chain Reaction Cycles have "upto 50% off components" ATM

Thanks, did have a look at that. Their 'flash' sale isnt so 'flash' for cranksets when compared to the other UK sites.

familyguy wrote:Try Jase?

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=64784

Did notice that also, thanks. Wasnt sure if the Mega exo is the same as GXP? Ideally want something I can just throw onto existing BB. Think I might have to spend some quality time with Sheldon and finally get my head around BB compatability :?
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.
im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby familyguy » Thu May 30, 2013 10:27 am

I think* Mega Exo and GXP are both Truvativ/SRAM BB's. I may be wrong, but I'm sure I've had Truvativ/SRAM gear that fitted both, as the spindle is a different size to Shimano. Shimano don't fit GXP/ME, and vice versa.

Jim
familyguy

Postby im_no_pro » Thu May 30, 2013 11:05 am

familyguy wrote:I think* Mega Exo and GXP are both Truvativ/SRAM BB's. I may be wrong, but I'm sure I've had Truvativ/SRAM gear that fitted both, as the spindle is a different size to Shimano. Shimano don't fit GXP/ME, and vice versa.

Jim

Going by this, it would seem unfortunately not :( GXP has tapered 24-22mm spindle on drive side crank, so doesnt seem to be compatible with anything other than itself. And according to this, there is different types of mega-exo anyway which are crank specific for different FSA cranksets..... :roll:

So looks like I either need to find a set of GXP (SRAM, Truvativ) cranks or suck it up and change the BB.
im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Return to Want to Buy, Group Buy, Swap