Wanted. 29er suspension fork

Looking for a special bike, parts or gear, ask here.
Forum rules
Newbies, please read the Market Place Rules before posting in this section.

POST FORMAT: [LOCATION] description (WTB not required)

Wanted. 29er suspension fork

Postby rebelcontender » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:42 pm

I am looking to buy a 29er suspension fork. I have an open mind as to make/model so long as it is a standard 1.18th steerer and 80 or 100mm travel. Qr or 15mm ok. Must be in good condition. Prefer something local in sa but might pay for postage for the right fork

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2
rebelcontender

by BNA » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:45 pm

BNA

Re: Wanted. 29er suspension fork

Postby rebelcontender » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:45 pm

Bump

rebelcontender

Postby austy37 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:19 pm

Probably not what you are after but maybe take a look at suntour forks, I have a suntour epicon and it's ok, I can't tell too much difference between that and my fox float. I think you can get them a fair bit cheaper than the name brands. Can't attest to their longevity though as mine is second hand I've ridden it only about 15 times. Also I'm not the best rider so tAke my review with a grain of salt :?
austy37

Postby rebelcontender » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:53 pm

austy37 wrote:Probably not what you are after but maybe take a look at suntour forks, I have a suntour epicon and it's ok, I can't tell too much difference between that and my fox float. I think you can get them a fair bit cheaper than the name brands. Can't attest to their longevity though as mine is second hand I've ridden it only about 15 times. Also I'm not the best rider so tAke my review with a grain of salt :?

Thanks for the suggestion. I was actually very interested in the Epicon but failed to find a well-priced source. Ebay is full of good value 26" epicon forks but the few 29er variants seem to be priced in the same league as a similar RS fork. where did you source yours from and if you don't mind me asking how much? I am also considering an RST First fork.

Shane
rebelcontender

Postby trailgumby » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:14 pm

I'd suggest 15mm thru axles are a mandatory minimum for 29ers.

My first taste of a 29er was on a 9mm qr XX SID. Bump performance was brilliant but steering accuracy was terrible. My first attempt at one of the more challenging obstacles saw me get bounced off line due to flex and go over the bars.

I managed to step out of the bike and avoid faceplanting but it was a sobering introduction. Previously I'd ridden Lefties exclusively for 2-3 years and had come to take their qualities for granted. They go where you point them. Stiffness is important.
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
trailgumby

Postby rebelcontender » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:54 pm

Bump.

rebelcontender

Postby rebelcontender » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:42 am

Found.
Got a lightly used recon off fleebay. Now the build can begin