WTB: Chorus 10spd Components in Silver

Looking for a special bike, parts or gear, ask here.
Forum rules
Newbies, please read the Market Place Rules before posting in this section.

POST FORMAT: [LOCATION] description (WTB not required)

WTB: Chorus 10spd Components in Silver

Postby Snicks » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:30 pm

Looking for an entire Chorus 10spd groupset, in the silver alloy finish, in particular:

- Ergo levers
- Rear derailleur (long cage/med cage preferred, but short considered)
- 170mm cranks (record alloy also acceptable)
--> triple crankset would be a bonus! I would consider 172.5mm in a triple, but not in a standard, 170mm only in standard.
- Brakes
- FD
--> front der choice depends on what happens with cranks^

Would need to be excellent-NOS condition...

Hit me up!
Snicks

by BNA » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:47 pm

BNA

Re: WTB: Chorus 10spd Components in Silver

Postby Snicks » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:47 pm

Oh and, if, AND ONLY IF you have the right combination of above in fantastic condition, I would consider trading my almost completely-NOS Dura ace 10 pitch grouppo, even the CHAINWHIP is still in its packaging...
Snicks

Postby spirito » Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:55 pm

Snicks wrote:Looking for an entire Chorus 10spd groupset, in the silver alloy finish, in particular:

- Ergo levers
- Rear derailleur (long cage/med cage preferred, but short considered)
- 170mm cranks (record alloy also acceptable)
--> triple crankset would be a bonus! I would consider 172.5mm in a triple, but not in a standard, 170mm only in standard.
- Brakes
- FD
--> front der choice depends on what happens with cranks^

Would need to be excellent-NOS condition...

Hit me up!

I've been in this exact position as well. Looked around and by the time I'd priced everything up I realized it was far cheaper to buy a brand new Veloce 10 speed groupset with all the exact parts I wanted. Having ridden both new and recent classics I'd say the new stuff even if a lower tier group works a lot better. 2013 Veloce is noticeably better than circa 2003 Chorus 10 speed. Also, you never quite know what your getting with older shifters, how much life is left in them and whether they need a rebuild.

Of course, have a look around, you never know what you might land but be aware that a new Veloce groupset is less than $500 (including BB cups, cables & housing, new cassette and chain etc).
http://www.shinybikes.com/campagnolo-ve ... -2011.html
Cranky Jim wrote: God did not invent gears. Men invented gears ... because we are not gods.
spirito

Postby Snicks » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:25 pm

I know I know I know you speak the truth! But god damn it it's just so pretty!! :x
Snicks

Postby spirito » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:39 pm

Snicks wrote:I know I know I know you speak the truth! But god damn it it's just so pretty!! :x

I know. I agree, I like the older groupset appearance. I have a Chorus 10 speed groupset but I've set it aside for the last 2 builds and used Veloce 10 or Athena 11 speed instead. It's new, it works, and it's often so much cheaper. It's silly but the recent era and now much sought after older silver groupsets are quite pricey. I won't sell mine but I would advise buying a bike with the exact groupset and using it for parts, selling the frame and other stuff on, than trying to source it all piece by piece. And forget some of the NOS prices ... they crazy !!
Cranky Jim wrote: God did not invent gears. Men invented gears ... because we are not gods.
spirito

Postby morini » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:04 pm

Join the club. I've been looking for the same to build my wife a bike for months. It's hard going. It's either too expensive piece by piece or if you find a complete group they want ridiculous money. I got lucky the other night and bought a complete bike, a Pinarello with a 9 speed Chorus group, for under $500. So we're happy.

You'll pick up the cranks and the front mech pretty cheaply and there's a seller on the Darling Downs who'll take $200 for his brakes and rear derailleur. That was last Wednesday anyway.

Spirito, you're speaking a lot of sense there man. I'll do the same next bike because at that those prices you can't go wrong.
morini

Postby spirito » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:50 pm

morini wrote:Spirito, you're speaking a lot of sense there man. I'll do the same next bike because at that those prices you can't go wrong.

Only because like you and others I've added up the exact and total costs for the builds, they always cost a lot more then planned, shipping eats up so much $'s and it's hard to beat new especially when you choose the exact chainring, cassette, fd options you'll need.

That and Shimergo (thanks Blakey !!). You don't have to be stuck using only one manufacturer & there's many options to mix/match parts to suit.
http://www.fixed.org.au/forums/f13/shim ... tte-25030/
spirito

Postby Snicks » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:32 pm

Or I suppose you could just lend me your group spirito and I'll give it back when you've found a frame worthy? Promise I'll take good care of it :D :wink:
Snicks

Postby spirito » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:13 am

Snicks wrote:Or I suppose you could just lend me your group spirito and I'll give it back when you've found a frame worthy? Promise I'll take good care of it :D :wink:

Uh-uh ...

But nice try :lol:
spirito

Return to Want to Buy, Group Buy, Swap